GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Took a turn in the rain a little too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 12:13 PM
warrendanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a turn in the rain a little too fast

When I came out of the turn, as my passengers were pinned against the windows, the traction control light (SWIRVEY LINES) was blinking as I would expect but there was a beeping noise I had not heard before. What was it? or was it the radio? What great control around corners, I never felt anything from the car telling me not to take it faster.
Old 08-23-04, 12:23 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Took a turn in the rain a little too fast

Originally posted by warrendanz
When I came out of the turn, as my passengers were pinned against the windows, the traction control light (SWIRVEY LINES) was blinking as I would expect but there was a beeping noise I had not heard before. What was it? or was it the radio? What great control around corners, I never felt anything from the car telling me not to take it faster.
The beeping sound is letting you know the VSC is active. Traction control and VSC are different. VSC is the button on your center console on the wood by the armrest. It is always on if you don't de-activate it. Everytime you start the car VSC is on.

That beeping sound has saved my butt many times.
Old 08-23-04, 12:36 PM
warrendanz
Driver School Candidate

What is the difference. Is traction for a spinning wheel or wheels while VSC is when the car is starting to move in a direction other then where you have the front end pointed?
Old 08-23-04, 12:37 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

praise god it did not get out of control.. be careful bro ,unless you are running a good susp setup the rear is one loose jiggly all over the place caboose.. although vsc will kick in , if you have gone to far not even that will save you so please be careful
Old 08-23-04, 01:25 PM
LexFather

What is the difference. Is traction for a spinning wheel or wheels while VSC is when the car is starting to move in a direction other then where you have the front end pointed?
I want to say traction control is low speeds and VSC is at any speed.
Old 08-23-04, 01:25 PM
psukhu
Rookie

VSC helps with "fish tailing".

Test it out in an empty wet parking lot.
Old 08-23-04, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I want to say traction control is low speeds and VSC is at any speed.
Depends on the car. Some have regular traction control only at low-speeds (25 MPH or less). Others have all-speed traction control. VSC (stability control) , as you point out, works (or SHOULD work) at any forward speed.
Old 08-23-04, 01:36 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Took a turn in the rain a little too fast

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
The beeping sound is letting you know the VSC is active. Traction control and VSC are different. VSC is the button on your center console on the wood by the armrest. It is always on if you don't de-activate it. Everytime you start the car VSC is on.

That beeping sound has saved my butt many times.
Like Sick said, that VSC saved your butt.

If the VSC light blinks, that's just an early warning; but if it beeps at you , that indicates you probably screwed up big time and you would of lost the car if VSC were not on. Trust Sick on this. HE KNOWS !

The IS models have traction control, so that only controls rear wheel spin, but VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) does much more. The VSC is activated through several different sensors on the car. It will kick in if you spin the rear tires going straight, or if one tire loses traction while in a turn, but it will also kick in while cornering at high G forces.

I know this because I got the VSC to beep at me for over 5 seconds doing 110mph in the turns of the high banked oval at California Speedway driving a stock GS430.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-23-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 01:54 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering what all the beepin was during the Taste of Luxury. Happened with every hard turn. I got the MB E5 to beep 5 times for a total of 5 points.
Old 08-23-04, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Traction control is for when you forget your anti-perspirant.

VSC is for when you're not wearing brown pants.

Old 08-23-04, 08:19 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

VSC is very hi-tech and special on Lexus vehicles. You have to be REALLY pushing the car (at unsafe speeds almost), or the conditions have to be VERY slick for it to come on. There are various sensors inside the car that look at the position of the throttle, the position of the steering wheel, speed, yaw and determines when a spin is inevitable. So it will reduce power to the speeping wheel, and automatically apply braking force to the others wheels to prevent a spin. It works, very, very wheel. The VSC in the GS400 works good. The VSC in the RX300 is outstanding. Even in snow, I was unable to fishtail. It's impressive indeed. And as others have said, the GS can be somewhat of an unruly beast with the VSC off. So keep it on, just in case..
Old 08-23-04, 09:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard the beep when I got sideways on off camber wet turn, only going about 25mph. I felt in control but a girl or bad driver or something might have freaked

01gs430
Old 08-23-04, 09:58 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
I have heard the beep when I got sideways on off camber wet turn, only going about 25mph. I felt in control but a girl or bad driver or something might have freaked

01gs430
If you had VSC off it probably would of been a different story, you wouldn't of been in control.

Ever notice when rain hits you see a bunch of Camaro's & Mustangs off the road, usually facing backwards at the exit of a turn?

You'd see a bunch of GS's like that too if they didn't have VSC.
Old 08-23-04, 10:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a 325hp five speed mustang 1985 lx 5.0 for years. I don't need no stinking trac control. I love getting sideways.
Anytime I plan on getting on it, I turn off the vsc button. I find it annoying when trac ctrl kicks in.

But for grandma(or my wife), it may be a different story.(How many grannys do you think drive 430s?)
Old 08-23-04, 10:42 PM
AristoTDOT
Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Traction control is for when you forget your anti-perspirant.

VSC is for when you're not wearing brown pants.

hehe!...

.....i love turning mine off in the snow.....but its getting expensive buying new pants every day.....

Quick Reply: Took a turn in the rain a little too fast