GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

infamous gs front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 12:34 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question infamous GS front end shake

who knows what causes this front end left to right shake on the gs. My car is an 01 430. Once in a while I feel it & I'm still under warranty and would like to resolve before warranty ends.

I test drove about 6 gs and LITTERALLY HALF of them had this prob. Some worst than others.

What a bunch of s#*t!! I think it is unacceptable for a car of this caliber.

DO DEALERS KNOW HOW TO FIX? PLEASE LET ME KNOW?

Last edited by chuckb; 08-24-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 01:30 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 01 GS300 and one thing I always brag about is zero vibration at any speed and any road. Mine has 26K miles and the original 16" wheels and bridgestone tires. Are your rims original? I have heard issues about Michelin Pilots causing vibration issues in the past.
Old 08-24-04, 02:45 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked under your car for these [

seriously

check to see if your wheels are balanced

also what size rims do you have ?

johnny[
Old 08-24-04, 02:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I have stock 16 rims with stock goodyear tires with 22700 miles. I just had dealer allign and balanced at tire shop. The prob is not really an issue on mine yet. I think what I may have felt was flat spots on tires from the car sitting for a couple days I'm just looking for down the road.

This is an issue with these cars. I am serious when I say 3 of 6 gs I drove had this prob. Including a 2000 gs4 that I drove yesterday w/36k for a possible wife car. This car is also under bumper to bumper for a few more months.

Someone has had to have dealt with this before and know where the design inherent problem lies.
Old 08-24-04, 03:13 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=vibration

The power of search
Old 08-24-04, 04:01 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

way to be tlw
Old 08-25-04, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welll a lot of people have that problem including me. tightening up the steering wheel pretensioner is one way to go, but that doesn't solve the problem totally.

there is something i know some comapny is working on, which could potentially solve the problem. before it's all said and done and proven, i dont' want to give out too much info. we will see how the "mod" could solve the problem and whether the stock parts are what causing the problem and why
Old 08-25-04, 01:49 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
welll a lot of people have that problem including me. tightening up the steering wheel pretensioner is one way to go, but that doesn't solve the problem totally.

there is something i know some comapny is working on, which could potentially solve the problem. before it's all said and done and proven, i dont' want to give out too much info. we will see how the "mod" could solve the problem and whether the stock parts are what causing the problem and why
Gee...Henry. Can we have more hint on this?
Old 08-25-04, 02:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RayGS3
Gee...Henry. Can we have more hint on this?
well it's not about hints, and i am not trying to tease you guys. but before there are more proofs and ideas / info, just throwing out rocks isn't going to help much besides generating more rumors as well as more bashings down the road. i would rather just wait and get more info first
Old 08-25-04, 06:42 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Are there some kind of weak bushings in the front end that also contribute to this?

I think it is so weak that we even have to worry about this crap on such sweet cars!!

Lexus needs to step up and make some kind of solution(RECALL?)
Old 08-25-04, 01:44 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by rominl

rom do you know whats involved in tightning the sterring wheel pretensioner my car is due for the 60k service and i want to tell them to perform this task
Old 08-25-04, 02:23 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

TLW posted a link about the pretensioner about 6 replys up^
Old 08-25-04, 04:09 PM
Jugg_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, my 98 GS400 does the same. Not to mention my previous Camry also had the same issues
Old 08-25-04, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by chuckb
Are there some kind of weak bushings in the front end that also contribute to this?

I think it is so weak that we even have to worry about this crap on such sweet cars!!

Lexus needs to step up and make some kind of solution(RECALL?)
good thoughts there. but i don't see why a recall would be warranted, coz' we mod our cars, we put more stress on the bushings. it's like whether they should recall the tranny coz' we all want to put FI in our cars
Old 08-25-04, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lexusondubs
rom do you know whats involved in tightning the sterring wheel pretensioner my car is due for the 60k service and i want to tell them to perform this task
very easy actually. as long as you have the new type of steering wheel pretensioner (if you have 99 it should be good), just put the car on the lift and you shoudl be able to adjust that. but you don't wanna tighten it too much before you start loosing your power steering

Quick Reply: infamous gs front end shake