GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 09:03 PM
flatspilot

Angry

Our GS 300 has excessive wind noise around the driver and passenger windows. Multiple meetings with the Tech Rep has produced seal changes, tech bulletins compliance and sound generator pressure analysis(No air leaks). New theory is high aerodynamic wind noise generated around the side mirror post. Factory mirrors do not fully integrate into the A pillar, allowing the inboard edge of the mirror to act like an aircraft wing with resulant wind speed increase and noise increase. This increase in noise has been demonstrated in driving conditions with a DB meter. The DB increase adjacent to the mirror has averaged 2 DB, which is a 33 percent increase in noise at a driving speed of 70 MPH. This noise easily passes through the reduced thickness windows.
Anyone out there who has an aftermarket source for a bolt on mirror for the GS300/400 that is a one piece uniform design that will fully integrate into the A pillar to eliminating the airflow problem, PLEASE RESPOND. Mercedes Benz solved this noise problem on the 2001 C320 by using the uniform design into the A pillar.
The high wind noise problem is well documented on almost ALL GS300/400.
Old 04-10-01, 10:14 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with flatspilot. Even my GS430 has the same problem. I have address the same issue with Lexus when they first ask me to fill out the survey for the new car. However, I never hear anything back from them since. I guess nothing is perfect........
Old 04-10-01, 10:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

flatspilot - I saw this post from you before.

The DB increase adjacent to the mirror has averaged 2 DB, which is a 33 percent increase in noise at a driving speed of 70 MPH. This noise easily passes through the reduced thickness windows.
I don't quite understand the math here. 33% increase in noise for 2db? I thought 10db was double the noise.

Regardless, where is this problem 'well documented'? One of the problems with having the quietest powertrain in the world is that every other noise is more noticeable. Maybe you should get an aftermarket exhaust or just turn the stereo up to 1/4 and you won't hear the wind noise any more.

I have NO complaints about wind noise on my GS400.
Old 04-11-01, 04:04 AM
owm

Hi flatspilot,

I too have this problem on both my parents' 2000 GS300. Driving at speeds above 80 km/h will result in an audible wind noise emitting from the area near the front tweeters.

Weiming,
Singapore.
Old 04-11-01, 11:54 AM
UK_GS300
Driver School Candidate

I also have a problem with wind noise from the drivers’ window area. I have noticed it both on my vehicle and another one I have driven.

I cannot pinpoint where the noise comes from. Sometimes I think it is from the mirror area and then other times I think it is coming from the top of the window although I cannot detect any air leak. It is noticeable above 60mph.

I know on the MR2 that the rubber seal between the mirror and door had a hole in it to allow the electrical cable to pass through which was too big and people have successfully sealed this up to eliminate noise - probably not relevant on the GS300 though.

flatspilot - As a test you could try using a thin sheet of plastic (maybe a printer transparency?) and wrap it around the mirror to fill the gap and tape in place to see if the noise changes. If it does then you know it defiantly is the mirror.
Old 04-11-01, 10:12 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The only noise I would complain about is the tire noise. Even with Yoko AVS dB, I can still hear some noises. But they're much quieter compare with RE010 for sure.
Old 04-12-01, 09:47 AM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

I have the same problem with my 2000 GS4. The wind noise is on the front driver side and the dealers can't get it right to fix the situation.
Old 04-12-01, 10:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool decibels

Hmmmmmmm.......no wind noise from my 01 430. Bridgestones a little noisy but everything quieter than my old 93 sc300 5 speed........

Bitk, 10 db is indeed twice as loud, but decibel scale is log base 10; 2 db equates to 0.3 (30%) on my old slide rule (yes, i took physics back when we all used slide rules).

Hope Lexus finds solution for those having problems; having such quiet cars makes such things that much more annoying.
Old 04-12-01, 11:37 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Default more wind noise

I've noticed I hear more wind noise when I occasionally sit in the passenger seat versus the driver's seat.

One strange thing that I hear though is when my sunshade is fully open, I can hear noise coming from the rear of my sunroof. Silicon gel was applied and worked for 2 weeks, but came right back.

Also, my front window produces a clicking sound at the middle/top of the piece where the windows slides and seals with the rest of the door. I hear this when going over bumps, but if I open the window 1/32 of an inch, it goes away... weird.
Old 04-12-01, 11:41 AM
Not2Fast
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: more wind noise

Same here, wierd.

Originally posted by gs3_4me
I've noticed I hear more wind noise when I occasionally sit in the passenger seat versus the driver's seat.
Old 04-12-01, 07:16 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

i rarely drive from the passenger's seat.........
Old 04-12-01, 07:27 PM
owm

Well, I drive pre-dominantly from the "passenger's seat" as our cars are right hand driven

Weiming.
Old 04-13-01, 01:54 AM
owm

Hmm..I don't suppose anything can be done by the Lexus dealer to solve this problem? Frankly, the noise is really intrusive and the only way to damp it is to turn up the volume of the radio. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't seem to care about this issue, but I believe that since a huge amount of money was spent on the car, it should work flawlessly or in tip-top condition. This is because a
Lexus GS300 in Singapore cost around US$128,000. Insane isn't it?

Weiming.
Old 04-13-01, 10:39 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Daaaayummm..

$128,000 US ?????? That's crazy!

Geez, you'd be better buying over here in the US or in Europe and shipping it back to Singapore, huh?
Old 04-13-01, 05:54 PM
GS4Man

Default RE: Wind Noise

I agree, the car is so damn quiet when crusing that wind noise that would not be noticible in most any other car, becomes noticible!!. I too have noticed it but have gotten so used to it that I don't notice it. I believe it is from the rear view mirrors and their lack of ultimate aerodynamic integration with the body and the air stream. Nothing to do with the door. I do remember a similar thread a year or so ago where someone put electrical tape over the drain holes in the bottoms of the rear view mirrors, and it helped. I never tried it, because I doubted it would have an affect. I agree, if someone had an aftermarket mirror that matched, I might consider it. I am guessing it would be expensive.

GS4Man
1998 GS400 17" stock wheels w/ Dunlop SP8000
RMM rear wing

Quick Reply: Wind Noise