GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus GS 430 - DOA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 12:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

obviously the insurance companies are making $ or they would not be in the business. Screw them-Get it fixed right or not at all.
Old 08-29-04, 02:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
obviously the insurance companies are making $ or they would not be in the business. Screw them-Get it fixed right or not at all.
And you can't win. The more you want to screw them, the more you'll screw yourself.
Old 08-29-04, 03:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry about your car and I hope the insurance totalled it. A lot of electrical components will be damaged and some of damage won't show up right the way.

The main engine ECM is right behind the HID headlights, ABS/Trac actuator, all the sensors, and more...If the water get inside your car, expect some problem from your seat motors or seat ECU, window and door ECU's..man, sorry about that.
Old 08-29-04, 03:50 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOu know some of you guys come across as real jerks, I donk know if you meant to or not but you do, the guy knows what he did wrong he doesnt need us his friends to sit there and twist the knife in the wound. Give me a break.
Old 08-29-04, 07:04 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by morris
YOu know some of you guys come across as real jerks, I donk know if you meant to or not but you do, the guy knows what he did wrong he doesnt need us his friends to sit there and twist the knife in the wound. Give me a break.
I agree. NO ONE wants to purposely damage their GS and not everyone may be clear on how much damage driving in deep water can do to your car.
Old 08-29-04, 07:33 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

So we're only "allowed" to post positive feedback here? It's not like anyone was making anything up. They just said that it was "dumb". No one here agrees that it was a "bright" thing to do, so the obvious is being stated. A fact, if you will. I have never been upset with someone telling the truth about things I've done, no matter how stupid it was. Sometimes it's good to hear a little criticism. Makes you think twice if you ever consider doing it again...

I don't think anything anyone has said has been overly mean...just my opinion though...
Old 08-29-04, 09:59 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about that man-
Wish it woulda happened to me so I could have a check (hello 5 spd sc)
Old 08-29-04, 10:28 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
And you can't win. The more you want to screw them, the more you'll screw yourself.
Thats why we have more than one insurance company, so one company can't screw ya. If insrance rates go up, shop around =)
Old 08-30-04, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok, everyone calms down now....
Old 08-30-04, 06:51 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Default UPDATE

Alright, I started this thread, and I can take the hits that come with it. Yes, it was a dumb thing to do, and you have every right to say so. I'm certainly not happy about the situation, but no one was hurt and life goes on. I knew that all of you would be interested in the situation and pictures, if for nothing else than to say "Look at what this jerk did."

And $20k for an engine, that's just insane. Of course, the insurance company wanted to use a "preferred" shop for the repair, and they could have bought a used engine for $2-3k and made the other repairs. The insurance company also assured me that they would also provide a lifetime warranty for the repair. However, how many times would I have to drive (or be towed) out to a shop because the work wasn't complete, or they missed something. So, I had the car taken to the dealer, where I could be (more) confident in the analysis and the repair.

Someone asked about a few details...the car was a 2001 with 60,000 miles. I've had the car for less than a year, and under 10,000 miles. Here's the estimate from the dealership on the repair...

"Minimum of 1 rod broken, block is broken, oil pans broken, valves bent, signs of cracked heads..."
Long block $17,822
Parts $1,461
Labor $2,300
Tax $1,307
Total to begin $22,890
This does not include any repairs for the transmission or electronics. The insurance company reviewed the estimate, calculated the potential for additional repairs, and the salvage value they could recover from the car. The verdict was to TOTAL the car.

The insurance company has valued the car at $28,200, and they claim that is based on recent sales in the area. They may also cover some sales tax, so I may receive $28k - $30k for the car. Of course, I'm trying to negotiate higher, but that is the current valuation.

So, that's how I managed to total a Lexus with a puddle of water.
Old 08-30-04, 07:05 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFLMAO!!! That quote, my friend, will be a classic! Seriously though, I'm glad that you're taking your loss with aplomb. In my line of business I see a lot of very smart people doing foolish things and I've concluded that no one's immune. Good luck.
Old 08-30-04, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE

Originally posted by youngatl
Alright, I started this thread, and I can take the hits that come with it. Yes, it was a dumb thing to do, and you have every right to say so. I'm certainly not happy about the situation, but no one was hurt and life goes on. I knew that all of you would be interested in the situation and pictures, if for nothing else than to say "Look at what this jerk did."

And $20k for an engine, that's just insane. Of course, the insurance company wanted to use a "preferred" shop for the repair, and they could have bought a used engine for $2-3k and made the other repairs. The insurance company also assured me that they would also provide a lifetime warranty for the repair. However, how many times would I have to drive (or be towed) out to a shop because the work wasn't complete, or they missed something. So, I had the car taken to the dealer, where I could be (more) confident in the analysis and the repair.

Someone asked about a few details...the car was a 2001 with 60,000 miles. I've had the car for less than a year, and under 10,000 miles. Here's the estimate from the dealership on the repair...

"Minimum of 1 rod broken, block is broken, oil pans broken, valves bent, signs of cracked heads..."
Long block $17,822
Parts $1,461
Labor $2,300
Tax $1,307
Total to begin $22,890
This does not include any repairs for the transmission or electronics. The insurance company reviewed the estimate, calculated the potential for additional repairs, and the salvage value they could recover from the car. The verdict was to TOTAL the car.

The insurance company has valued the car at $28,200, and they claim that is based on recent sales in the area. They may also cover some sales tax, so I may receive $28k - $30k for the car. Of course, I'm trying to negotiate higher, but that is the current valuation.

you are doing a good thing man, get it to a shop where you know would repair the car at all cost. most likely they will just total your car. they can't force you into bringing it to a certain shop
Old 08-31-04, 05:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like things are working out for you-Good to hear. $28 - $30k is a very fair settlement. I don't know about your area but around here you can prob find a gs43 with maybe even less miles than you had.
Good Luck
Old 08-31-04, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE

Originally posted by youngatl
... So, that's how I managed to total a Lexus with a puddle of water.
Great post, great attitude, and probably totalling it is the best outcome.

Sorry about your loss, but no doubt you'll get another nice ride.
Old 09-10-04, 01:35 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank goodness its totalled....cuz it will never be the same...even if repaired properly.

One man's trash...is another man's treasure. Any chance of removing and selling OEM parts from that totalled car?

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 430 - DOA