GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: Need Advice on SEMA SHOW in Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 02:31 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP: Need Advice on SEMA SHOW in Vegas

Fellas:

I am in need of some advice and help here.

One of my main sponsors wants to use my car for weeklong booth duty @ the SEMA show in Vegas this November. As you all probably know this is the BIGGEST SHOW OF THE YEAR and most anyone who is anyone in the industry will be there. The connections you can make are invaluable.

Its a major honor for me to even be considered to be the main booth car for my sponsor at the show. It really validates al lthe work I have done to my ride.

thi show is so important that I know I can get a bunch of free stuff and huge discounts for parts if the companies know that my Lexus will be on display at SEMA.

Thing is, the show is in Vegas and I live in CT. Thats one heel of a trip and I don;t own a trailer or a truck. Driving the car out here is out of the question as my car will need to be totally detailed inside and out, buffed etc in preperation for this show. If the car isn;t in Top shape, there is no point in going.

Things is, I'm not certain what assistance financially the company will giveme to get the car out there. They have given me free product worth well over $1,000 this year already with future committment in hand for next season etc.

If they cover a portion of the expensxe, it would still run me $1,000+ to get car out there. I'm not looking to incur that type of an expense.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the car out there or other avenues I should consider to reduce expense. Anyone have a trailer and truck to get me out here. Free hotel and show entry is available.

Appreciate the time and help and look forward to your ideas.

Ted

Last edited by ted920; 08-30-04 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 02:33 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

I should add that they are not requiring that I go to the show but my ride is the top choice they are considering.

Peace,

Ted
Old 08-26-04, 04:40 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all Ted....did you sign a contract? If you did, does it require you or your ride to be at specific shows requested by your sponsors? If so...then consider the FREE parts you received as an exchange for the cost for your travel and lodging.

If no contract was signed....you still have an obligation to represent your sponsors company at shows....not sure if that includes shows that are clear across the country. You need to talk to your sponsors to clear that up....yah...and maybe they are willing to ship your car out for you....but you pay your own way to get there.

Good luck tho.

Pete
Old 08-26-04, 05:27 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the tricky side of sponsorships that most people don't think about.

Ted, I am guessing you don't work "in the industry." I don't mean any offense by this- for me, since I do work in the industry, I do whatever it takes to foster existing partner relationships and create new ones.

If Yokohama asks me to use my car, I do whatever it takes to get it to them. The same goes for MagnaFlow, StopTech, H&R, Boston, Daizen, etc. Of course, I have a vested interest in these marketing efforts, because ultimately it provides more exposure for the company I work for. We also have a relationship with such companies as Monster Cable, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, TRD, etc., so if it's important to them, it's important to me/our company.

Just to clarify- I am not saying I am sponsored by any or all of the above companies, only that we have a relationship with them, and their products are on the car. I built the car as a marketing tool, and I am happy to use it as such.

I have never asked for special treatment by any of our vendors or partners- however, they sometimes offer me some type of special 'consideration' because the company I work for is reputable and has integrity, and I have built a personal reputation for under-promising and over-delivering when it comes to marketing and exposure. At the end of the day, we both are winners. Just don't make the mistake of expecting free stuff. If you genuinely have a commitment to your sponsor and have the potential to make more contacts and get special deals, you must weigh the transportation expense against the value of the product you already have or may receive. I personally would choose to consider this an opportunity, not a hassle.
Old 08-26-04, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

talk to todd of tmengineering at todd@tmengineering.net or (310) 537-6800

tell him henry refers you. he knows a guy that does all these towing stuff. and that guy is good coz' he tows all the bentley, lambo, etc...
Old 08-27-04, 01:29 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the option of driving the car is still a viable one. I live in vegas and I havent missed a SEMA in 5 years.

I have a few friends that own detailing companies and the week of SEMA they LIVE at the show.Some of the bigger companies pay them to do the cars EVERY day of the show.So you could drive it here and they could get it show ready for you no problem..

Going the other way with it, a good friend of mine owns a car audio shop here and we built a corvette sponsored by Eclipse, and a wire company ( I think it was Stinger) and after the car won top 10 cars of the CES show they paid to have it shipped enclosed all the way to Florida for the spring break nationals and back to vegas.Now he had to pay his own way but they took care of the car.
SO you might want to have a talk with your sponsor.They might be willing to work with you and cover some of your gas money or something like that.

If you need my help with the detailing company feel free to ask.
Old 08-27-04, 06:16 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Thanks fellas for the information. It is very insightful.

Just to state once again, I am not looking at this as a burden but instead as a great opportunity. I was at SEMA IAS in Atlantic City thi syear and took home a win there and I know how things work. I may not work in the industry but have lots of experience in the scene.

I am tryiong to figure out a way to get the car there w/o costing me too much $$.

I have been ASKED, not REQUIRED to have the car there. For the record, with the 12 different sponsors I have, they have been nothing but a absolute pleasure to work with. They have made no outrageous requests and its been very much a WIN - WIN relationship. It has not been a one way street. I have succeeded in th eshow scene here and have a sterling rep for doing htings the right way with sponsors. I too underpromise and OVER - Deliver.

Once again, thanks for the insight and ideas. I will look into it further.

Ted
Old 08-27-04, 11:55 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Definately go whatever the cost!!!

Wow, what a missed opportunity that would be!
Old 08-28-04, 01:59 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

i say you give up your spot to me and tell em to hook me up with some stuff.... cause i live in vegas

hah jk

bring yer car man... we'll meet up! see ya at the show if yer there!

later
Old 08-30-04, 01:42 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

I have posted new developments on this under the Regional Forum in the PACIFIC section.

I am looking for a vehicle for the booth.

Whoever I choose will receive a valuable FULL SPONSORSHIP!

Car must be there for a FULL WEEK.

Ride needs to be sharp, no average Lexus' here.

Peace,

Ted
Old 08-30-04, 02:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOw

thats some offer

anything for the east coast wink wink J/K

good luck with your search
Old 08-30-04, 04:55 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

kam wants

ready to go out of my way for this.... heck keep the car for 2 weeks

i have on ORDER a set of symbolic 20inch chrome wheels... (i can cancell that order if you can hook me up with a better price on em )

Also ordeing a Veilside hood

Last edited by CamRen; 08-30-04 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 05:06 PM
ias
Pole Position

dang , it is an honor, i wish i lived next to you i would pick up your ride and tear it up in vegas!!
do whatever it takes
Old 08-30-04, 05:07 PM
ias
Pole Position

for the record i would tear up vegas , not your ride...!!
Old 08-31-04, 06:05 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

IAS:

Funny. I wish I could get my ride to SEMA but alas, it doesn't seem like I can get a trailer and truck.

ted

Quick Reply: HELP: Need Advice on SEMA SHOW in Vegas