GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Drain tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 06:17 PM
onenrg1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Drain tube?

I have been having water on my driver's side carpet and think its because of the drain tube being plugged up. I checked really quick and couldn't find it. i didnt see it leaking from the door either. Can someone please help? Thanks
Old 08-26-04, 10:16 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe AC drain should be somewhere around the hood area, I don't think they would put it inside the cabin. You probably have a leaky hose or something from the heater core.
Old 08-27-04, 04:24 AM
onenrg1
Driver School Candidate

They actually run from the evaporator down thru the car by the tranny most of the time. Thats where you see the water drip when you run the a/c. I just can't seem to find it. I will take a better look tonight. Thanks though.
Old 02-18-05, 10:27 AM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anybody have more info on this? Im getting water on the driver floor also only when I use the A/C. Im gonna open it up this weekend.. just want to see if anybody else has experienced this problem
Old 03-20-05, 08:16 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

anybody know where this drain tube is on a 99 GS3?

I have the problem where the carpeting is all wet on the driver's side. I checked the drain holes top and bottom and they are all clear.

The liquid is not coolant so it's not a heater core issue. It's cold water, which makes me think it's the AC drain tube.

I was under my car today w/a flashlight and could not find the drain tube at all!
Old 05-16-05, 10:32 AM
chowder
Driver

Well well well. It's just starting to get warm enough where I live to turn on the A/C and I see trickles of water hitting the footwell area of my passenger side front. I presume stuff has gunked up my drain tube out of the evaporator as well. I still get a very slow drip out of my tube, so I was able to find it. If you open the hood and stare at the engine, look for the battery (back left from this perspective). Off the right edge of the battery there's a gap to the ground, look straight down about 2ft below the top of the battery.

I cleaned out 2 acorns and other assorted nonsense from my A/C filter behind the glove box, and now my question for you all is:

What is the best way to clear the drain tube? I've searched and seen airgun blowing from outside-in, clothes hanger poking, etc. Of course if I had a lift, I'd try to get at the junction where the tube enters the car at the firewall from the engine side. Any help appreciated.
Old 08-09-07, 07:05 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I've used a shop VAC for my home drainage tubes, it should work if you have a small hose attachment.
Old 08-09-07, 07:14 PM
Vitaliy23
Driver

my tube was glogged , i was also lookin for it and its very hard to find it unless you put the car on the lift. I used an evaporator cleaner to clean and unplug the tube.

go to a local shop and give the mechanic like 10bucks to put the car on the lift for couple of minutes or just wait till your next oil change
Old 08-09-07, 08:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

The A/C drain tube is under the car in the middle of the bottom shroud. You can see a clear tube poking through the shroud. BUT, that's more than likely, not the problem. The problem is a common one with the GS... cracked Evaporator core. I have the same problem with mine as well as a lot of other GS members on this page. I try to get all the water out with a vac every week, but during the summer, it's a drop in the bucket. During the winter, when i don't use the A/C much, there is rarely any water.

It definitely sucks...
Old 08-10-07, 12:50 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
The A/C drain tube is under the car in the middle of the bottom shroud. You can see a clear tube poking through the shroud. BUT, that's more than likely, not the problem. The problem is a common one with the GS... cracked Evaporator core. I have the same problem with mine as well as a lot of other GS members on this page. I try to get all the water out with a vac every week, but during the summer, it's a drop in the bucket. During the winter, when i don't use the A/C much, there is rarely any water.

It definitely sucks...
When you say cracked evaporator core??? wouldn't that let the refrigerant out?? Could you seal it somehow if it is the case? This is the first time i have heard of this being a common issue. not questioning it just stating my stupidity.

B
Old 08-10-07, 07:38 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmpiazzola
When you say cracked evaporator core??? wouldn't that let the refrigerant out?? Could you seal it somehow if it is the case? This is the first time i have heard of this being a common issue. not questioning it just stating my stupidity.

B
I'm referring to the core unit that's behind dash. It cracks and leaks the water that's stored inside. If your GS ever has a sound of marbles moving about coming from the dash, usually that's the culprit. That's what I've always called it back from the days when we used to replace them on VW's. Other than that... not sure what it would be called... I might be the one that's in the wrong with the name.