GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

power folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 11:22 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power folding mirrors

Ok I did some searching and came up with nada so I ask this of your guys:

In Japan, I know that most if not all cars come with mirrors that fold in at the touch of a button. I know they need these for the tight streets there.

I wonder why the GS didn't come with them standard. I would like to get them for my car as I pull in and out of my garage alot and it's a real PITA to get out, fold them manually and then get back in and pull the car in.

my question is I guess, do Aristos have htem in Japan and how hard would they be to make fit our US GS's

Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 11:30 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my Aristo but I'm not sure if it's easy to install but I'm pretty sure it'll fit.
Attached Thumbnails power folding mirrors-dscf4186.jpg  
Old 09-02-04, 11:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Aristor
I have it on my Aristo but I'm not sure if it's easy to install but I'm pretty sure it'll fit.
The problem with JDM ones is that the mirrors may not fit/work the same since they are configured for RHD cars.
Old 09-02-04, 11:41 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
The problem with JDM ones is that the mirrors may not fit/work the same since they are configured for RHD cars.
how bout the motors and/or mechanism??
Old 09-02-04, 11:48 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

we've swapped in JDM folding mirrors in other cars and they always went on fine, even the power folding motors worked fine. I haven't had the chance to do it for a Lexus. I have JDM aftermarket mirrors on my car now, and it bolted up fine. I would assume if the Junction Produce mirrors bolt up fine, the OEM JDM mirrors should as well...

one thing, your mirrors are now situated for a RHD car when u switch to JDM mirrors, but you get used to it. The wide angle is now on your side, not the passenger side...
Old 09-02-04, 11:55 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JunctionGS
we've swapped in JDM folding mirrors in other cars and they always went on fine, even the power folding motors worked fine. I haven't had the chance to do it for a Lexus. I have JDM aftermarket mirrors on my car now, and it bolted up fine. I would assume if the Junction Produce mirrors bolt up fine, the OEM JDM mirrors should as well...

one thing, your mirrors are now situated for a RHD car when u switch to JDM mirrors, but you get used to it. The wide angle is now on your side, not the passenger side...
Junction-sounds like a new product for JP to make:

USDM power folding mirrors w/ or w/o the blinker ...

and tell you what....I'll take the first set free of charge since I came up with the idea
Old 09-02-04, 12:00 PM
Neo
The One

I was thinking of your car when I responded above.

In addition to the actual mirrors, I am not sure if the shape of the mirrors are different too. This may or may not affect how the mirror works too since some cars angle the passenger side for better viewing by the driver. I'm sure it will probably bolt on and internal motors just need power. I'm basing my shape issue on the Tom's mirror covers. They don't fit quite right. Given the quality of the rest of the Tom's stuff, I can only surmise that the covers fit well on JDM cars and not US cars because they molded the covers based on the JDM mirrors. I'm just extrapolating here though with no proof.
Old 09-02-04, 12:05 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
Junction-sounds like a new product for JP to make:

USDM power folding mirrors w/ or w/o the blinker ...
I doubt that since the JP mirrors on his car is also JDM. He has to deal with the backwards mirror too. I don't think JP has done anything for US cars. US cars just has to deal with JDM fitment.
Old 09-02-04, 12:11 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I would love to have power folding mirrors.
Old 09-02-04, 12:38 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
I doubt that since the JP mirrors on his car is also JDM. He has to deal with the backwards mirror too. I don't think JP has done anything for US cars. US cars just has to deal with JDM fitment.

Old 09-02-04, 12:43 PM
undee
Driver

Originally posted by Richie
I would love to have power folding mirrors.
yeah, me too. the LS430 has this option. I wonder why they didn't put it in GS.
Old 09-02-04, 01:14 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by undee
yeah, me too. the LS430 has this option. I wonder why they didn't put it in GS.
It isn't like the GS is cheap or anything, and the Japanese Aristo has it also.
Old 09-02-04, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hhaa i like to see the wide angle difference some day
Old 09-02-04, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well it might work. for the aristo with this feature, do they still have autodim and heated mirror? i know on acura TL, the us spec has the autodown feature, but lost the folding function
Old 09-02-04, 09:38 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
well it might work. for the aristo with this feature, do they still have autodim and heated mirror? i know on acura TL, the us spec has the autodown feature, but lost the folding function
See, we here in asia got jeeped. We get the auto-folding, but we don't get heated (which we don't need here in the tropics) and we don't get autodim either.....

So, it's an even trade I guess...

Quick Reply: power folding mirrors