GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what is all this upgrade stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 07:32 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't bother welding on an aftermarket tip. If you want the look, get a real exhaust instead. Like I said, the L-Tuned one isn't all that loud and when it is "loud", it's only when you're ON it. Otherwise, why not just polish your existing tips with some Mother's Metal Polish? It'll look like chrome (remember, chrome gets dirty too...)

TRD pads COULD void your warranty...but then, so can tires OTHER than your factory ones. It just depends on how much of bone your dealer wants to pick with you...for example, if you put on the pads and then a week later, your disc snaps, your dealer can say it was because of the pads (though in reality, it could have been due to a faulty disc). Dealers (most) are always quick to point out aftermarket parts as the fault for any problem...kinda like the software guys blaming the hardware guys (and vice versa!)

STB = STRUT TOWER BAR. The TRD one is around $220. The rear STB doesn't make as big as a difference as the front but it makes a difference. If you have all the other stuff, it may be enough for you...but for me, I have to have the rear also (I'm a canyon carver and handling is very important to me)

As far as your TC concerns, it won't hurt your GS in any way. It MAY make your tires wear out faster because you'll be doing more light to light drag races!

The LSD will improve traction abilities IF there is wheel slippage. Without the LSD, if one of your rear tires break free, it'll just spin...with the LSD, it'll lock up and get power to both wheels. Like I said, this is on the more hardcore end of doing up your GS...some people say you loose some acceration with a LSD but I haven't found that to be the case (Of course, I haven't timed my 0-60's in hundreths of a second either...)

Here's is a more detailed definition from Spencer Low Racing...

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (LSD) - TECH NOTES
LSD limits the differentials effect, depending on surface conditions the LSD attempts to drive both wheels equally. LSD uses clutches to increase or decrease the amount of drive or coast, this has a definite effect on push. In a turn, the vehicle wants to go straight despite the steering wheel being turned. The LSD is the best compromise for vehicle handling and maximum traction. They also have the least affect on stock diameter axles because the clutches allow some slip.
Old 04-16-01, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
As far as your TC concerns, it won't hurt your GS in any way.
Was wondering how you can state this. Do you have a TC? One guy had one in his GS400 and fried the transmission. From what I've read, the transmission WILL get hotter with the TC than without it.
Old 04-16-01, 08:02 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default no more questions

1. With the exhaust tips I guess I will simply get them polished with some chrome looking polish, or simply get them chromed, I know chrome gets dirty but I keep my car pretty clean so that won't be a big problem.

2. I am just going to go ahead and do the TRD pads but I don't think I should do it at Toyota or else they will definitely know and might also right it down on record. I have a friend in Nissan and I think I will give it to him to do the brake pads install, after all, they do many, some that are even toyotas.

3. Thanks for letting me know what STB stands for, now I know exactly what to ask for, and if he gives me problems, I will just wait for Steve (one month). Since the rear STB doesn't make a big difference, holes will have to be drilled into trunk, and I need that space for my desktop anyway, I won't get it. They aren't TRD anyway and I would like to stay as close to Toyota parts as possible, good reliability.

4. I think I need to research a lot more on the TC and LSD before I do it. Both look kinda risky to me but I am still very interested. Maybe I will start new threads, one for the TC and one for the LSD after I am done with my tires one (The Best Tires) so that I can get as much info as possible on them.

As you can see no question marks in this one, all of my questions have been answered well (except for I need a lot more info on TC and LSD). You have definitely helped me (and maybe others) a lot with your replies.

Thank you very very much

I will be waiting for the specs of your gs, hopefully it will be ready soon. :-)
Old 04-17-01, 12:33 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Bit - I do not have a TC installed my car (soon) but I have 3 other friends that do. Not a single problem with theirs.

I wonder if that guy (that fried his tranny) had it installed correctly or if he was torturing his car (I've blow STOCK trannies this way ).

From what I've read here and my 3 buddies, I feel that I can recommend it and I'm comfortable enough with it to install one in my car...this is the only instance of a bad TC experience that I've heard about...

Other than that guy, anyone else have problems with their TC...if so, PLEASE speak up! I'm interested to get more feedback about this also!

Old 04-17-01, 10:35 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N air filter questions

(I think?) I'm interested in picking up a K&N performance air filter for my 2001 GS430, but I thought I'd ask a few questions first:

1) Is what I'm looking for the Filtercharger or the Universal Air Filter? I'm assuming the former, but as I'm trying to read up on their Web site I'm getting confused.

2) What will the K&N air filter do for me? My understanding is that it will permit greater intake air flow, but will the intake actually take advantage of the extra breathing room without something like the intake ECU (which I'm pretty sure I don't want to install for warranty reasons)?

3) When I visited K&N's Web site, they showed an air filter and an oil filter for the 1998-2000 GS400, but only the oil filter for the 2001 GS430. I'm assuming the GS400's air filter will be fine in the GS430. Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks in advance for any comments/answers/etc.
Scott
Old 04-17-01, 10:47 AM
RacingAristo

GS400's K&N filter will not fit GS430. Lexus has changed the filter design.

Old 04-17-01, 10:57 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Interesting...so is there an alternative performance air filter for the GS430?
Old 05-02-01, 03:09 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

From what I have found so far, no K&N filter for GS430 YET. I already got my K&N air filter for my gs400, going to install it tomorrow. I haven't gotten anything else yet cause Steve is still not back (2 more weeks!).

Other mods/changes planned:

1. Comfortable, quiet, and good handling tires (probably Dunlop SP9000, Yokohoma AVS dB, or Bridgestone S-03)
2. Wood steering
3. Additional wood trim
4. Paint calipers with high resistive paint
5. L-Tuned Steering ECU
6. TRD Metallic Brake Pads
7. TRD STB Front
8. TRD Front Sway Bar
9. TRD Rear Sway Bar
10. TRD Lower Chassis Brace
11. Dynaudio speaker replacements
12. Mirror turn signals (like mercedes)
Old 05-02-01, 04:05 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

K&N stock replacement will do little if anything. If you plan on keeping your car long term, I would use stock filters. Some BMW tuner did a flow test and the paper filters actually maintained greater airflow as they got dirty than the K&N. For no performance gain why let more dirt in your engine?

Old 10-04-02, 06:28 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

I know this is an old thread but it was valuable info. when I applied a search. I was content with my car but after seeing a few here all I can say is WOW!
Old 10-04-02, 02:52 PM
LexFather

cmc5dc, that is how I felt when I first found ClubLexus. I had NO idea. Try to attend a CA meet to SEE the performance parts on the cars. that is what I did

Old 10-04-02, 02:52 PM
LexFather

And I wish I could shake your hand for using SEARCH

Old 10-04-02, 03:18 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?

nanotech has 600+ posts and he does NOT know these things?
are we talking a about the nanotech take post 600 post in the Lobby in the Beautiful Women Thread???
hee hee hee
Old 10-05-02, 09:30 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man o man...

This thread is so old ...Manaray used to be nice to people!

Old 10-06-02, 03:44 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, what's with these super old posts coming back up all of sudden? And some of them have no new replies...they just come up as new...

I'm still nice...I'm just sick of all the BS...

Last edited by Manaray; 10-06-02 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: what is all this upgrade stuff?