GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-01, 10:49 PM
angur

Unhappy

Members,
I need help. I have a 98 GS4 and it refuses to start. I started it early in the morning to move it 5 feet to wash it, and when I tried to start it again later that day, the car started for 5 seconds and quit.

Now, the starter just tries turns like normal, but the engine will not turn over. There has not been any signs that the starter was going bad, and the car has been running great. I have full power from the battery, Just all of a sudden...

Would it have something to do with the chip in the key? Do the Lexus starters just go up without warning? I have a freind coming over tomorrow morning with the Snap-On computer to see what it says, but I am not very optimistic and getting pissed off.

Any help??
Old 04-14-01, 11:36 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sorry to hear that

sorry to hear about your problem, I am sure its something minor with the computer rather than something mechanical like the engine, atleast I hope so for your sake !

what I really posted about is what I saw in your signature....

3 4.5" lcs with ps2???

I am dying to see pics of those and want to get as much information as possible on how you did it.

What brand screens, where you got htem from, how much they cost? Did you do install yourself, if not, how much did that cost? How long did it take? Do any of the wires show? Just any and all information you can get for me about those screens and the ps2 would be very beneficial for me because I am going to get something like that done pretty soon (within this month), hopefully.

Thanks in advance and goodluck with your starter problem.
Old 04-15-01, 06:48 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking your battery in the key is dead or weak... or something is wrong with your key... try another key... if not.. may just be something with the computer... If it is starting but not turning over... that is usually something with the chip and key and stuff like that..
Old 04-15-01, 07:11 AM
angur

I am leaning towards the key as being the problem myself, but I do not have another key. I bought the car used and only received one. How much do they cost from the dealer? Also, who would have the batteries for the key?
Old 04-15-01, 07:27 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rrrrrrrrrrrr..
those keys are pretty expensive!!! i forgot how much one would cost... it is somewhere in the posts...either in this or the old forum... but I know it is pretty expensive... the top part of my key broke and I wanted them to replace it... it was still functional thoug.. but they just wanted me to crazy glue it back together because the damn thing was so expensive... .I should have told them to replace it since it was broken when they sent my car out to have it aligned...

about the batteries...I think the dealer should be able to help you there...
Old 04-15-01, 07:49 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keys

I think Keys are about 300 if you already have a master key with you, if not its like 300 + 1000 for a new ECU. When you were washing your car, did any water get into your enginebay in your air intake?? if even a bit of water got in it could've blown your head off the block, since water doesn't compress like air. If you have the stock intake then its probobly not that because it would be hard to get water in there. good luck man