GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tranny-GS 3000,2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 03:09 PM
LEXITT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny-GS 300,2001

ok, I don't know if the tranny is slipping or not, whenever i accelerate pretty hard, in my 2nd gear the rpm climbs to 4000 rpm and the car doesn't really pull, it feels like it slipping. Its this common or not? i got a warranty so no worries, help me out here guys, thanks, btw the car has only 30,000 miles.
Thanks
I should off bought the 430, damnitttttttt

Last edited by LEXITT; 09-06-04 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 06:18 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

u rolling on chrome? i feel like a slow poke and im on non-chrome wheels. maybe your just a speed fiene

BTW i got a GS3 01' w. approx 43k miles

Last edited by joshoowa; 09-06-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 07:00 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 01 GS 300 with 30000k and no problems
Old 09-06-04, 08:36 PM
LEXITT
Rookie

I don't have chrome rims, i don't like the bling bling style.
Another thing i forgot to mention, how does the lex supposed to climb thru rpms when you floor it while in parking, mine hesitates for a second and then goes, it feels like the car chuckles? could it be gas, i use 93 all the time, thanks.
Old 09-06-04, 11:30 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I know exactly what you're talking about lexitt.... my dealer still hasn't figure it out, but I hear the same thing when I first hit the gas... can duplicate it when the car is coasting and you just hit the gas to raise the rpms. Only makes the sound in drive though.

If you figure it out, let me know. Thx.
Old 09-07-04, 11:02 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Originally posted by gs3_4me
I know exactly what you're talking about lexitt.... my dealer still hasn't figure it out, but I hear the same thing when I first hit the gas... can duplicate it when the car is coasting and you just hit the gas to raise the rpms. Only makes the sound in drive though.

If you figure it out, let me know. Thx.
No problem, i just called lexus for a check up, hehe another loaner please.....
Old 09-07-04, 11:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Isn't this the lag that everyone was talking about? And the lsd supposedly took care of this?
I think this is the problem in the 300s???
Old 09-07-04, 11:38 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Originally posted by GS3Tek
Isn't this the lag that everyone was talking about? And the lsd supposedly took care of this?
I think this is the problem in the 300s???
It feels like a lag, i am a little dissapointed, i paid so much $ and i am already having problems with the tranny. Is the gs 430 any different, tranny wise?

off topic:
How does the car handle in the winter season? or should i be looking for a awd vehicle? ex: Subaru Sti or Evo VIII?
Old 09-07-04, 01:42 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have experienced the lag in both the GS300 and GS 430. Your car will accelerate differently depending on if the TCC is locked up. I know in 4th and 5th it engages and locks up. That is why it feels the car pulls harder or you do not see a big jump in RPM when you accelerate on the freeway. TCC = Torque Converter Clutch.
Old 09-07-04, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Tranny-GS 300,2001

Originally posted by LEXITT
ok, I don't know if the tranny is slipping or not, whenever i accelerate pretty hard, in my 2nd gear the rpm climbs to 4000 rpm and the car doesn't really pull, it feels like it slipping. Its this common or not? i got a warranty so no worries, help me out here guys, thanks, btw the car has only 30,000 miles.
Thanks
I should off bought the 430, damnitttttttt

Your 2001 GS300 tranny is the same one as in my 2001 IS300. There are two noticible quirks. First, the drive-by-wire system sometimes produces a lag accelerating from low speeds ( 5-10 MPH ) in 2nd gear while the RPM runs away for a couple of seconds....then it accelerates normally. This is a quirk of the ECU
( Electronic Control Unit ) for the transmission. The way to get around this is to slow down enough (below 5 MPH) for the tranny to downshift into first before hitting the gas. Then you will scoot right off. A service bulletin reprogramming the ECU issued in the summer of 2001 lessened but did not eliminate the problem.
Second, an occasional slip in the 2-3 shift sometimes lets the RPM jump a few hundred or so during the shift....this will be felt as a slight lurch and heard as a slight engine speed-up as the car slows down for a second or so, then catches again.
The same ECU programming I mentioned lessened the frequency of this problem also, but did not elimiinate it.
I wouldn't let this really bother you too much. Have the reprogramming done if it has not been done so, and just drive it the way it comes out. It is not reallly that big an annoyance....and this is just about the ONLY problem with the car's design....the GS 300 and IS300 are both excellent machines with one or two minor tranny glitches.
Old 09-07-04, 04:36 PM
LEXITT
Rookie

Default Re: Re: Tranny-GS 300,2001

Originally posted by mmarshall
Your 2001 GS300 tranny is the same one as in my 2001 IS300. There are two noticible quirks. First, the drive-by-wire system sometimes produces a lag accelerating from low speeds ( 5-10 MPH ) in 2nd gear while the RPM runs away for a couple of seconds....then it accelerates normally. This is a quirk of the ECU
( Electronic Control Unit ) for the transmission. The way to get around this is to slow down enough (below 5 MPH) for the tranny to downshift into first before hitting the gas. Then you will scoot right off. A service bulletin reprogramming the ECU issued in the summer of 2001 lessened but did not eliminate the problem.
Second, an occasional slip in the 2-3 shift sometimes lets the RPM jump a few hundred or so during the shift....this will be felt as a slight lurch and heard as a slight engine speed-up as the car slows down for a second or so, then catches again.
The same ECU programming I mentioned lessened the frequency of this problem also, but did not elimiinate it.
I wouldn't let this really bother you too much. Have the reprogramming done if it has not been done so, and just drive it the way it comes out. It is not reallly that big an annoyance....and this is just about the ONLY problem with the car's design....the GS 300 and IS300 are both excellent machines with one or two minor tranny glitches.
It doesn't really bothers me, but i am worried that the tranny will die on me or something, i am going to the dealer on monday, should i tell them about reprograming the ecu or just tell them what the problem is?
thanks, nice writeup
Old 09-08-04, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Might as well get the reprogramming done if you haven't gotten it yet and if it can be applied to the GS300's. Ask the service manager.....for the IS300's (with pretty much the same transmission) it was a free service from the factory. In my experience, it helps a little but the basic quirks are still there. I noticed that the 2002 E-shifts also had some of those characteristics.
Old 09-11-04, 05:57 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Default update 9/11/04

ok, wow, the tranny issue was a combination between mass air flow sensor and a complete tranny flush, the car pulls like there is no tommorow, i love it.
Old 09-11-04, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for sharing What was done for the mass airflow sensor? A replacement of a defect or just being old?
Old 09-11-04, 09:29 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS3Tek
Thanks for sharing What was done for the mass airflow sensor? A replacement of a defect or just being old?
probally being dirty..

Quick Reply: Tranny-GS 3000,2001