GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

xpel on the lights, finally

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Default xpel on the lights, finally

I finally finished installing the xpel light kit I bought a while back. For those that don't know what xpel is, it's a clear plastic adhesive covering and they sell kits for lights, mirrors, the whole front of the car, door edges, etc.

Putting the big pieces on the very curvy outer large headlights was challenging! The hair dryer is critical, as well as patience. The second one was easier than the first because I kind knew what to do more.

Anyway, glad to know those nice lights are protected from stone chips, bugs, etc. now!
Old 09-06-04, 07:20 PM
zerovise
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grats on the xpel. rock chips kick my BUTT!! omg, i got like 3 new ones this weekend on my hood! x.x. i'll invest in that stuff later lol. peace

-tyler
Old 09-06-04, 07:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bit....any pics during the install? What techniques did you discover?

Pete
Old 09-06-04, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
Bit....any pics during the install? What techniques did you discover?
Sorry, I didn't take any pics. I just followed the instructions, which were pretty good. You have to clean the lights thoroughly with diluted rubbing alcohol, then put some on your hands and on the exposed adhesive side of the xpel. I heated the headlight with a hair dryer too. Once the xpel is on it can still move around a bit but I found it's important to get one edge in the right place and then work the rest down onto the light. Only the big headlights are difficult to do and require patience to squeeze out liquid/air pockets. If one goes on wrong and provided the whole thing hasn't stuck down you can loosen it by spraying some diluted alcohol under the bit not yet stuck down and pull it up. The main thing is not getting any dirt in there of course. Some minor residue under the xpel is inevitable but will go away in a few days max.
Old 09-06-04, 08:47 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happens when a rock hits the headlight with the xpel on it? would it damage the little section where the rock hit?
Old 09-07-04, 06:26 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bit:

Did you ever consider using the Venture that is sold by Mach III (CL vendor) in the CL Approved Vendor Classified Section? I am debating on either using Xpel or the Venture. Any comment?

Chu...
Old 09-07-04, 08:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ChuH
Bit:

Did you ever consider using the Venture that is sold by Mach III (CL vendor) in the CL Approved Vendor Classified Section? I am debating on either using Xpel or the Venture. Any comment?

Chu...
I'm not sure if Venture has the thicker film like the 3M used by Xpel. I'm sure Sam will chime in if I'm wrong. Besides, it sounds like Bit has had the 3M films laying around for awhile.

Bit,

Congrats on the install. Did you notice that the film covered up the old pits pretty well? It is a "side-effect" I noticed with the ones I've seen.
Old 10-06-04, 11:43 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I hope to do this to mine too. Let us know in the near future if there are any problems with the xpel bubbling or not sticking well. Wouldn't want to do it if it's not going to work out properly.

John
Old 10-07-04, 12:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Premier Mobile
Venture comes in either 6mil or 12 mil. 3M's (Xpel) film come in 8mil or 12 mil. Even though Venture's film is slightly thinner, during Nissan's testing of the two films (Venture's 6mil vs. 3M's 8mil) w/ a probe, 3M's film was punctured with 9lbs of pressure while Venture's film did not puncture until 20lbs of pressure was applied.
i believe xpel's headlight kits are a lot thicker than 12mil. i have the normal 8mil on my hood and bumper, and then 12mil for the front lip body kit. the headlight pieces are significantly thicker than the 12mil body one
Old 10-07-04, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by JohnGS4
I hope to do this to mine too. Let us know in the near future if there are any problems with the xpel bubbling or not sticking well. Wouldn't want to do it if it's not going to work out properly.

John
well, if installed right, you shouldn't have any bubbling at all down the road, and it should not peel. i have done couple of install myself, including my cars, and the xpel has been on for a LONG time, and never peeling or bubbling. it's all about skills

and for the record, it's no where the real professional already
Old 10-07-04, 08:37 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the ArmorGlove on my car now for more than 6 months with no probs at all. Great investment to protect your car (paint. lights etc.). For most people, I would recommend professional installation though-unless maybe just doing the lights.
Old 10-07-04, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Premier Mobile
The headlight protection from xpel is a very thick 20mil film. By comparison, Venture's 12mil film is actually stronger than 3M's 20 mil film due to its elastic strength. 3M's 15mil is about as as strong as Venture's 6 mil film.
ah gotcha, thanks for teh clarification sam gotta love the analysis results you got there!
Old 10-07-04, 03:24 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny, i have attempted to do the same thing. I have my xpel kit sitting in my garage for over a year. Finally, I said let me just go ahead and try doing this.
I had the HID 's on to warm up the lense. Did the whole wiping down with rubbing alchol. Washed my hands with it, etc. Its been a few weeks now and I still have some dry residue I guess from the alchol that dried up which left a residue. Also, on both lenses the plastic has kind of curled up in the same place where the lense starts to go back. I think I might just snip this bit or remove the entire thing and have a pro do it!
No issues with my fogs as that is pretty straight forward because there is no bend in the glass.
Old 10-07-04, 03:32 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect explaination from Premier Mobile. Aero Shield who did my venture tape install on my l-Sportline bumper gave me a demo on the 3M and Venture Tape Film. After stretching the 3M film, I was able to break through it with my thumb. However, after streching the venture tape, I was unable to break through the film no matter how hard I tried. Interesting to say the least. After that demo, I was sold on Venture Tape.
Old 10-08-04, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Perfect explaination from Premier Mobile. Aero Shield who did my venture tape install on my l-Sportline bumper gave me a demo on the 3M and Venture Tape Film. After stretching the 3M film, I was able to break through it with my thumb. However, after streching the venture tape, I was unable to break through the film no matter how hard I tried. Interesting to say the least. After that demo, I was sold on Venture Tape.
damn, ken, make sure you dont' use your thumb on my front end of teh car, ok/

Quick Reply: xpel on the lights, finally