GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quietest Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-01, 09:01 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I bought my 99 GS400 two weeks ago. It has a Rod Millen exhaust upgrade which looks great but it's too loud for me. At first I liked it but now it's just basically annoying. Is L-tuned or Borla the quietest performance exhaust? Please advise.

Bobcat
Old 04-15-01, 09:18 PM
lawgs300

Cool HI! BOBCAT

I had a l-tuned exhuast on my gs300.... the exhaust is much quieter than those greddy or HKS...

but i don't know how the borla sound is...

when the rpm below 1000 ... the sound just as stock...
when between 1000 to 2000.. you can hear the nice deep sound ..but if you turn on your stereo .. the sound won't be too noticable... just a little bite louder than stock...
whent the rpm betwween 3000 ~3500...the sound reach loudest ..but still much quieter than greddy at 2500 rpm...

after 4000 rpm ..the exhuast becomes quiet again..

if you think that would be too quiet for you.. then you can try borla... becuase i heard someone said that borla is little bite lounder than l-tuned..

however.. i like my l-tuned not only the deep sound..but also the tips...they are really nice .shine.. and fit with the stock rear bumper...

Old 04-15-01, 10:01 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default the stock

Bobcat,

I thought the Rod Millen exhaust would not be too loud on the v8. IMHO I think the quietest and most reliable exhaust would be stock. Toyota did their homework on design and performance. To get that "aggressive" look simply have a muffler shop weld on the '01 larger diameter oval exhaust tip.

If you are going aftermarket, I recommend carbon fiber Borla or like lawgs300 said the L-Tuned exhaust. I'd stay away from the Blitz, GReddy, HKS, because the general designs of those exhausts were meant for the JDM turbocharged V300 and not naturally aspirated engines. However I don't think the v8 would loose as much back pressure as the i-6.
Old 04-15-01, 10:11 PM
RacingAristo

Borla is just a little bit louder than L-Tuned and RMM. But I'm not quite sure the loudness between L-Tuned and RMM.
Old 04-15-01, 10:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: the stock

Originally posted by v300
Bobcat,

I thought the Rod Millen exhaust would not be too loud on the v8. IMHO I think the quietest and most reliable exhaust would be stock. Toyota did their homework on design and performance. To get that "aggressive" look simply have a muffler shop weld on the '01 larger diameter oval exhaust tip.
I was going to say the same thing, the quietest exhaust is the stock exhaust. Just get a tip if you want it to look nice but still quiet.

I'd stay away from the Blitz, GReddy, HKS, because the general designs of those exhausts were meant for the JDM turbocharged V300 and not naturally aspirated engines.
It's true, but how many exhausts out there are made for the 2JZ-GE? Flip through ARISTO BIBLE, there are only a few that's JZS160 specified. And also, all exhausts for the 160 dont' have that aggressive look, so many people just put on what fits.

Not many people have some 2JZ-GTE, transmission, ECU, and harness sitting there in the gurage you know?
Old 04-15-01, 10:19 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default even on the carbon muffler?

I thought the carbon fiber muffler was a tad bit "muffled" as compared with the first generation Legend model.
Old 04-16-01, 06:45 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

To tell you the truth, i've heard the blitz, and most of the exhuasts for the GS400, and i have to say the Rod Millen is one of the quietest ones out there, it's almost the same as the L-tuned. There aren't many quiet ones, i know that the Borla SS is louder than either Rmm and the L-tuned. Good luck on finding a system, you might even wanna opt for your custom made exhaust system, that might even be cheaper, go with companies like Magnaflow and have the pipes custom bent for bolt on.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 04-16-01, 08:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Offer the RMM fore sale locally for a couple hundred off the new price. After you get a buyer offer another $100 off for his stock system. You get quiet and cash or at least pay for the labor.
Old 04-16-01, 10:14 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advice! Since RMM is almost as quiet at L-tuned, maybe I should just go back to stock, as some have suggested. I even liked the idea of putting the Rod Millen system up for sale and then working out a swap arrangement. Only thing is, I like the looks of the pipes coming out from Rod Millen system. Maybe I should just have those welded onto a stock system. Will I be losing much performance going back to stock? I plan on using Mo at Swift Racing for Torque Converter and other non-supercharger mod's down the road.

Bobcat
Old 04-16-01, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally posted by Bobcat
I bought my 99 GS400 two weeks ago. It has a Rod Millen exhaust upgrade which looks great but it's too loud for me. At first I liked it but now it's just basically annoying. Is L-tuned or Borla the quietest performance exhaust? Please advise.
I have L-Tuned exhaust which I like (looks and sound), but I can't imagine it's much quieter or louder than the RMM one or Borla.

I still have my 1 year old stock mufflers/tips if you want to buy them from me. They're VERY quiet. The tips are small compared to aftermarket of course, but as others have said, you might get them and then have bigger tips put on.

As for losing power - none of these exhausts do much in terms of power - I doubt you'd notice it. The GReddy probably does the most since it replaces the cat converter as well I believe. But it's LOUD.