GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 06:18 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are the lugs off?
Old 09-12-04, 09:16 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its always a great idea to use an impact wrench. that way, you're sure you wont break any studs or be too rough on the lugs.
Old 09-12-04, 11:16 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS4fun
So are the lugs off?
Nope.

Just got back from AutoZone - WD40 is working its way into the threads - and the lugs are still on. As dangerous as it is, I stood on the L Wrench and Nothing - Nada - Nill! Still no give. I bought a 24" Breaker Bar but I don't have the 1/2" adapter to get it to fit my 21mm socket so I'm off to HD What a pain in the a$$. What if I was stranded in the fast lane on the freeway???

I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-12-04, 11:59 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
USE AN IMPACT WRENCH
Old 09-12-04, 01:46 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Darius, what's the update?

If you still can't get it out, just have the near mechanic shop use air compressor gun to loose up for you. I don't think they will charge anything since it's only one or two nuts.

That's what i did.

Ray
Old 09-12-04, 10:18 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

bro, seriously. Get $100 and invest in a good breaker bar, torque wrench and a impact socket. you can get a good sized breaker bar at sears (craftsman) or any place that sells tool really. being a former mechanic, i perfer only craftsman or snapon. You should get one with at least a 3/8" drive, but i recommend the 1/2" drive. at the same time buy the impact socket. I think its a 21mm socket (you can tell which ones are impact sockets because they are a flat black and are heavy as hell since they are cast iron). then get a the torque wrench to match. one that goes up to 100 ftlbs should be sufficient. I torque them down to 86ftlbs (thats what we did on VW, BMW, Porsches, and Audis), so that should be sufficient. Hope this helps for any future perdicaments. also, like was said, loosen the nuts with the car on the ground (just get the wrench to start turning and that should be enough) and then jack it up and remove them all.

Last edited by Stage3; 09-12-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 10:20 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Darius2004
Nope.

Just got back from AutoZone - WD40 is working its way into the threads - and the lugs are still on. As dangerous as it is, I stood on the L Wrench and Nothing - Nada - Nill! Still no give. I bought a 24" Breaker Bar but I don't have the 1/2" adapter to get it to fit my 21mm socket so I'm off to HD What a pain in the a$$. What if I was stranded in the fast lane on the freeway???

I'll keep you posted.
Go to Sears, screw Home Depot and AutoZone. If that doesnt work, take it to a pro or someone with an impact gun and have them take them off. If that doesnt work, Worst Case Scenario, you are looking at 4 new studs, and lug nuts because you are going to have to drill them off.

Also, no disrespect when i say this, but make sure you are turning to the left, and not the right. I couldnt tell you how many cars ive had to fight with because the customer "thought" they were turning to the left. If you overtighten, you screw the threads. Id get a new set if you can manage to get them off.

Last edited by Stage3; 09-12-04 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 10:33 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RayGS3
hey Darius, what's the update?

If you still can't get it out, just have the near mechanic shop use air compressor gun to loose up for you. I don't think they will charge anything since it's only one or two nuts.

That's what i did.

Ray
your "air compressor gun" is what i've been saying all along... IMPACT WRENCH IMPACT WRENCH IMPACT WRENCH
Old 09-13-04, 12:50 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes....always loosen the lugs while the car is on the ground....1st rule to remember.

As for loosening the lugs itself....get a ratchet (medium to large) and a 2' - 3' steel pipe...and slip it over the ratchet for leverage....should work like a charm. I always carry a pipe and my torque wrench in my trunk.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 09-13-04, 05:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Okay, here's the update.

Eiither I'm as weak as a 5 year old ballerina or the lugs were rusted.....or something.

I took them to the mechanic this morning and asked him to just swtich rims and tires for me. Before he put the car up on the lift, I had to heal my ego so I pulled out the Lexus L Wrench and asked him if he could loosen a lug. I BET HIM that he couldn't loosen the lug I've been breaking my back on for the last 2 days (no money, just an ego-bet). He couldn't get it, so he told me it must be rusted on. Half a second with the air compressor gun and it flew off!

So.... I don't have the calipers painted yet but here is a preview of the car:

This is @ the shop before the rims were polished and Armor All'd. I'll take more photos this weeked after the calipers are painted and the car is washed.
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?-3q_before_and_after_02_resized.jpg  

Last edited by TwentyTen; 09-13-04 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 05:50 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats

looks nice

they make adapters that fit on the end of the imapct gun so you have the proper torque

when you put the wheels back on

i think snap-on and MAC make em
Old 09-13-04, 05:54 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of the drop before and after:

BEFORE:
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?-front_before_and_after_01_resize.jpg  

Last edited by TwentyTen; 09-13-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 05:56 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

AFTER:
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?-front_before_and_after_02_resize.jpg  
Old 09-13-04, 06:19 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Darius. I'm coming late to this thread, but I had the same problem a few months ago. I tried for 3 nights to get those lug nuts off and I couldn't budge a single one on any of the wheels. I finally gave up and went over to Costco. The mechanic loosened them in a matter of seconds. When he retightened them, he said they should be "double torqued." I'm not exactly sure what the expression means, but he basically tightened them until he couldn't tighten them any more with a normal amount of pressure, and then he gave the wrench two more tugs, and each time the lug nut made a slight clicking noise.

By the way, the wheels look great.

e-man
Old 09-13-04, 06:56 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the compliment. Check your PM, I sent you one a couple days ago , following up on your install progress

Glad it wasn't just me that couldn't get the lugs loosened .

Quick Reply: HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?