GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 06:08 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?

I was just in the garage busting my a$$ to get the lugs off so that I could put my new rims on and paint the calipers. I tried soo freakin' hard to loosen those lugs and got nothing. I tried so hard that I (dont laugh) knocked the car off the jack! The lugs are on so tight that the lug wrench BENDS when when I put weight on it - still no leeway.

Any tricks?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-04, 06:14 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i usually either carefully stand on my 4 ways wrench or hit it with a soft nose hammer 2 loosen it...can't wait to c the new wheels
Old 09-11-04, 06:23 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Darius

word of advice bro....DO NOT LOOSEN THE LUGS WHILE UR CAR IS UP ON A JACK....!!! ARE YOU CRAZY? haha okay now that I got that out...

car doesnt need to be up on a jack when ur loosening.
cross bars are great for when the lugs arent on so tight, but in your case use an "L" lug wrech....(those usually come with ur car) then also use a breaker bar: a breaker bar is usually a long pipe that will go over whatever device you are using to loosen a bolt/lug, in this instance...your lug wrench...

basically you just use it to provide more leverage which increases the amount of torque you use to loosen the bolt/lug.

while you are doing this...try to watch what you are doing carefully....otherwise you may snap off a stud and then you will truly be SOL....

g'luck dood...be careful with the breaker bar.
Old 09-11-04, 06:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG! i didn't realize u said it was still on the jack. always lossen them 1st while on the ground than lift the car...good luck

Last edited by bluelex; 09-11-04 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 06:32 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. Your suppose to loosen the lug nut when the tire is touching the ground. Once loosen you then jack up the car. Get a extendable Gorilla Wrench to ease removal and also get a torque wrench to torque the lug nut proper in the future. The longer handle gives you more leverage. The stock wrench is useless on over tighten lug nuts.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/tools_all.jsp

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 09-11-04 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 06:34 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lugs may be rusted on as well....get some WD-40 to spray on first...will help you loosen them.
Old 09-11-04, 06:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a torque wrench Darius. You can find a decent one for 30.00 and it will save you time! Besides you will at least torque all 4 rims with the same amount of force.
Old 09-11-04, 06:54 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Guys!

I will go to AutoZone in the morning and get a torque wrench. I'll WD40 the lugs first and let it sit for a couple hours. The only wreng I have right now is the L Wrench for the lugs that came with the car.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Adrian - I'll post the photos as soon the rims are on and the car is lowered (Monday afternoon).

Old 09-11-04, 07:09 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there is no way your bending the lexus wrench. lower the car, put the wrench on, and with one leg stand on the wrench forcing it down.
Old 09-11-04, 07:27 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also do this if you don't want to purchase a Gorilla Wrench. Stepping on the OEM wrench is dangerous. Never need to with the Gorilla Wrench.

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/wrench/index.html

Chu..

Last edited by ChuH; 09-11-04 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 07:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

why is it dangerous?
Old 09-11-04, 08:16 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChuH
You can also do this if you don't want to purchase a Gorilla Wrench. Stepping on the OEM wrench is dangerous. Never need to with the Gorilla Wrench.

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/wrench/index.html

Chu..
Thanks! Looks Like I'll be going to Home Depot first! Cool, HD is right down the street and AutoZone is 15 miles away.
Old 09-11-04, 10:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
Thanks! Looks Like I'll be going to Home Depot first! Cool, HD is right down the street and AutoZone is 15 miles away.
This tip from BananaGS is great.. I bought the pipes for a couple of bucks and they work great. Just bring your tire wrench into HD and get a pipe that fits well (and not loose) over it. These pipes usually comes in 10 feet length but you can have them cut. What I did though was to look through their scraps to find one that is good enough and asked them to sell it to me cheap since it is a scrap piece. Depending on the guy you get, he may mark it down real cheap. The cashiers don't care since they just ring up what is written on the tag.

I liked it so much I bought a slightly bigger one for my normal wrenches to get better torque.

As for a torque wrench, it is a must if you are going to do DIY. With after market rims, you don't want to over or under torque. With it you can tighten all the nuts on all the wheels at the same setting. In case you are wondering and if the wheel manufacturer did not specify, I usually set it to 76 ft-lbs.
Old 09-11-04, 10:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
why is it dangerous?
The wrenches don't always stay locked in place. If you are standing on the wrench giving it a lot of uncontroled down force, the wrench could come loose and

1. you'll probably fall and, depending on your environment, can hurt yourself or do damage to the things around you,

2. catch the lug in a weird way with the wrench and potentially strip the nut making it more difficult to get off.
Old 09-11-04, 10:27 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

thanks, i thought i can accidentally kill my self or others.

Quick Reply: HELP: Lugs are on too tight? Any tricks?