GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Battery Ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 02:37 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

First off I want to thank those who helped me on the other board (mkilty, t42gs3 and mooretorque). As for my battery ordeal, I went on Monday to get a new battery at McDermitt Lexus in East Haven, CT since I am up at law school. Well they confirmed it was the battery and tell me they don't have one but tomorrow one is coming in on the parts truck. The guy says he'll pro-rate the battery for me, 50/50. So Tuesday comes and after classes I call them up and ask if the battery arrived, they say call back tomorrow. I am mad at this point but decide to wait since the car has been starting. Well this morning, late for my Property class, the car doesn't want to start. Thankfully I was smart enough to purchase a power pack at Pep Boys after the dealer told me they didn't have a battery. So for $85 this thing saved my rear and is worth every penny since I didn't have to wait for a jump. So I called back today after my class and they tell me they are expecting the truck to arrive with the battery sometime this afternoon. Well it gets to 1:30pm when I finally decide I had enough BS from them and call up Lexus of Westport. They tell me they have 2 batteries for the GS in stock and if I can get over there in an hour, they'll pop the battery in for me. So I haul *** on I-95, to the service dept. which is right off the highway and they install one for me as I waited about 35 min. So I ask the service advisor what the deal is with the batttery, if it's under warranty or is it pro-rated. Under warranty, nothing out of pocket. I was shocked after McDermitt was gonna charge me 50% of the cost. In addition they washed and vacuumed my car too. The guy told me the battery is covered for 4 years/50K. I get home at around 4pm and there's a message on my machine from McDermitt that the battery came in. This message was left at 3:38pm, I was on 95N at that time a happy customer. I called them up to tell them I went to Westport to have the battery installed and the guy didn't even care, that shows how great their service dept is. So I give a big thumbs up to Lexus of Westport for their service while I give a big F-U to McDermitt for their crappy service. I guess I should have known McDermitt was garbage when McDermitt has a Chevrolet dealer attached next door and the dealers are located in a stripmall. If anyone is in CT, avoid McDermitt IMO, go elsewhere. That concludes my battery ordeal, comments welcome.
Old 02-28-01, 02:48 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Awesome

Way to go.... Glad to see you got your battery under warranty. I did no know that batteries were covered as well, wish I asked my dealer first before I paid for mine....
Old 02-28-01, 05:56 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

McDermitt sounds like Ken Shaw, haven't found a dealer like Westport yet! I hope i do!
Old 03-01-01, 06:12 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

GS430Guy, why not contact Lexus about McDermitt?

Lexus puts their dealers under tight scrutiny and they expect them to treat customers better than McDermitt did you.

Let the company know what kind of BS they put you through, especially trying to charge you for a warrantied part. That's not what Lexus expects from their dealers.

With one phone call to the 800 number you get a chance to put them in the crapper.

Make them pay for what they did to you!!