GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I think something's wrong with my paint (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 04:21 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think something's wrong with my paint (PICS)

Ok, I washed my car on Sunday. Spotless. However I have a nice construction site right across from my house.

I haven't driven the car since I've washed it. Of course the car was covered with a thin layer of dirt/dust the very next day due to the contruction site about 30ft from my car.

However, it rained last night. When the car dried up, it left this!

The funny thing is that, those spots are not present on the hood. Just the trunk and parts of the roof.

Even AFTER washing the car, I've noticed that the trunk's paint looks sort of flakey. If you look at the trunk, you'll see clear flakes. The shape looks like the circles of dirt on my dirty trunk right now. But I can see an outline of it. When I rub my fingernail on it, it seems like there is something there that separates the circles.

The hood is fine and most of the roof is fine. But the trunk is horrible. I waxed it twice and it doesn't help. Any clue?

I can't stand black anymore. My car cover won't be here for another week or so. I really feel like painting it silver. Does anyone know how much a real good paint job would set me back?

Frustrated....
Cadd
Old 09-16-04, 04:24 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear this bro.. What kind of detergent/car wash solution did u wash your car with?

Also, to make your whole car silver(quality job like factory) you will be looking at thousands of dollars. Like 5-8g's.
Old 09-16-04, 04:34 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, I didn't a paint job cost that much.

I usually use Meguires (sp) car wash.

However, for the past few times, I've been using Zaino Z-7.
Old 09-16-04, 05:31 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

You might want to ask a mod (Neo, etc.) to move this to the maitenance or detailing section so Guitarman can help you.

-Anthony
Old 09-16-04, 06:16 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Worst case scenario, you should be able to get a good body shop to wet sand the debri out of the paint. It shouldnt set you back much at all to do that, maybe have them do the whole car if you have some spare cash. Wet sand and buff will produce amazing results. No need for a paint job quite yet.

Black looks the best when clean, but it is a PITA to keep up on.
Old 09-16-04, 07:14 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried claying your car?

Chu...
Old 09-16-04, 07:27 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I recently clayed the car. However, even after claying, I still see flakes on the trunk. It's not dirt that's stuck on the trunk. Not really sure what it is.
Old 09-16-04, 07:31 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Its most likely some residue of the dirt that was on the trunk that set into the clearcoat on the paint.....wet sanding by a bodyshop bro!
Old 09-16-04, 07:35 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I guess if it gets worse, I'll wetsand it. Any idea on cost?
Old 09-16-04, 08:50 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Cadd, if you want, on the day of our meet (Oct. 3rd), I can definitely take a closer look since I've personally and thoroughly detailed my black Lex for a long time, so I kinda have a good trained eye on what actually lies on the black paint and how to safely remove it
Old 09-16-04, 08:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Doug, that's cool!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-16-04, 09:01 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

What is "CLAYING" the paint?? never heard of it before?? Seems like a good paint shop may have a good solution to your problem.
Old 09-16-04, 09:09 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

A clay bar is something that looks like a bar of soap. You basically lube your car with car wash/water or with a quick detailer spray and glide the clay bar on the paint.

It is AMAZING! The clay bar, picks up all the crap that's left on your paint (i.e. brake dust, bird crap, etc.). After claying your car, the paint will feel as smooth as glass!

I use Mother's clay bar. Worked for me.
Old 09-16-04, 09:47 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Have you tried polishing your trunk? You could start with a regular polish. If that doesn't work try a fine cut polish (light swirl remover). If that doesn't remove it, then try a heavier polish (rubbing compound). Wet sanding is the last resort because you might remove some of the clear coat or damage the paint. Ask Guitarman in the Automotive Car & Detailing forum, he can give you more details.

Do you have any idea what that dust might have consisted of? It would help to know so we can figure out what you need to remove the marks on your paint. Good luck.
Old 09-16-04, 10:08 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

This is true, there are other options before wet sanding. Let me re state that, if all else fails, have the car wet sanded. Wet sanding should not hurt anything if you have a good body shop do it.

Quick Reply: I think something's wrong with my paint (PICS)