GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow, check this shifter surround....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 09:44 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by GammaLex
Thats VIP Some even have these ugly antennas sticking out the back and colored window tint
LOL yeah, that's some part of being a VIP that I consider a little on the "Darker" side......
Old 09-19-04, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
LOL yeah, that's some part of being a VIP that I consider a little on the "Darker" side......
So what does 'VIP' mean? (I know generally it means very important person!) Seems like in this case it might mean very insecure poser!
Old 09-19-04, 12:34 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by bitkahuna
So what does 'VIP' mean? (I know generally it means very important person!) Seems like in this case it might mean very insecure poser!
Here is a thread that hopefully will answer your question..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=133689

Being a member on CL as long as you, I would have figured that you would of known this by now..
Old 09-19-04, 12:56 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Is it me or am I not the only one freaked out whenever I see a GS with the steering wheel on the right hand side
Old 09-19-04, 01:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Paul, arren't you aware that we have a very good search feature
Old 09-19-04, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by Richie
Paul, arren't you aware that we have a very good search feature
Hehe - do a search on VIP and good luck finding a definition, LOL
Old 09-19-04, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by johnee78
Here is a thread that hopefully will answer your question..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=133689

Being a member on CL as long as you, I would have figured that you would of known this by now..
Well certainly I'd seen it mentioned a whole bunch, but just wasn't clear on it. But thanks for the link, that was great (the CL members great explanations like jtanoyo1's!).

Now I get it. Hey, my ride is VIP, LOL
Old 09-19-04, 02:32 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Hehe - do a search on VIP and good luck finding a definition, LOL
Paul, if you use more words, you will get better results
Old 09-19-04, 02:34 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to that article.. isnt all mod'd luxury ars .. VIP..
Old 09-19-04, 02:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, check this shifter surround....

Originally posted by Richie
Paul, if you use more words, you will get better results
Really? Wow. Thanks!
Old 09-19-04, 09:08 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

LOL, I've always stressed that if your car belongs to a VIP category (Aristo, Celsior, Cima, Cresta, Dignity, etc), regardless of whether you are bone stock or you have mods, you automatically fall into the VIP category. However, I would also like to add that if you slap on those F&F aluminium GT wing, suicide or scissor doors or you have exhausts sticking out the side like drifters, then you also AUTOMATICALL fall OUT of the VIP category.

There are some cars out there that just stick out and you JUST KNOW that it's a VIP. A good example would be the Japanese Aristo pictures that I've shown previously. Having so many gadgets and peripherals in your cabin is also a very strong characteristic of being a VIP (one that I don't approve of).
Some of the other finicky's include bright and garish wood grain on basically, everywhere (roof lining, aircon vents, the back of your front seats, your center console), tv monitors everywhere (even in places where you shouldn't put tvs on), huge deep-lipped wheels with super stretched tires, air suspension, huge exhaust tips, etc.

I don't know, in the US, a lot of the mods these guys do would sound very ricey, but since most of the cars in Japan are also backed with huge mega horsepower engine, then that cancels out the "rice factor" at the same time.

I don't know. It's weird. I am lost....
Old 09-20-04, 03:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

However, I would also like to add that if you slap on those F&F aluminium GT wing, suicide or scissor doors or you have exhausts sticking out the side like drifters, then you also AUTOMATICALL fall OUT of the VIP category.
There are some cars out there that just stick out and you JUST KNOW that it's a VIP. A good example would be the Japanese Aristo pictures that I've shown previously. Having so many gadgets and peripherals in your cabin is also a very strong characteristic of being a VIP (one that I don't approve of).
Some of the other finicky's include bright and garish wood grain on basically, everywhere (roof lining, aircon vents, the back of your front seats, your center console), tv monitors everywhere (even in places where you shouldn't put tvs on), huge deep-lipped wheels with super stretched tires, air suspension, huge exhaust tips, etc.
All the mods you have mentioned above sound very similar to me - completely and totally tasteless.

Why does insane HP cancel out other numerous tasteless mods? I disagree completely with that. Anybody with cash to spare will consider modding their car to have insane HP - at least most of us on here that mod our cars. The fact that we can mod our cars in other tasteless ways like those gadgets in the pic you posted does not make our car tastefully modded...... I mean, just imagine if that guy gets into an accident and one of those gadgets flies into his head and decapitates him? Just the safety issue alone should stop someone from doing that..................

I mean having one big "pro" (insane HP) does not necessarily cancel out other numerous "tasteless mods".

Last edited by Hameed; 09-20-04 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-20-04, 04:43 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some VIP styling is attractive to me.... some really aren't....

Actually, some Ricer stuff is really attractive to me too... but some aren't either...
Old 09-20-04, 06:24 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed
All the mods you have mentioned above sound very similar to me - completely and totally tasteless.

Why does insane HP cancel out other numerous tasteless mods? I disagree completely with that. Anybody with cash to spare will consider modding their car to have insane HP - at least most of us on here that mod our cars. The fact that we can mod our cars in other tasteless ways like those gadgets in the pic you posted does not make our car tastefully modded...... I mean, just imagine if that guy gets into an accident and one of those gadgets flies into his head and decapitates him? Just the safety issue alone should stop someone from doing that..................

I mean having one big "pro" (insane HP) does not necessarily cancel out other numerous "tasteless mods".
Completely and totally tasteless to YOU maybe. It's like some guy I see on the street with a PDA, a super duper cellphone and a notebook computer in his hand, any of the three items in his hands would be totally capable of doing everything he wants, but yet he still owns all three anyway, coz he loves gadgets in excess. Probably it's the same with the VIP guys. Many of the cars you see on the VIP sites are all about excess - excess wheels, excess drop, excess bodykit, excess hp, excess paintjob.

Maybe you are just not VIP. But that's ok. Not many people approve of being VIP at all, I even said numerous times that the stuff I see on some of these VIP rides are downright stomach-churning. Besides, I didn't say having insane HP cancel out tasteless mods. I said having insane HP kinda takes away the "riceness" of it all, since in my books, rice usually refers to any mods done to a car that does not improve its performance in any form whatsoever. I never knew "tactless" mods (according to your personal opinions) are equivalent to being rice.

But, heck, Hameed, we both know that I completely adore your car, so this has totally nothing to do with your way of modding, or my way of modding. I was just shedding some light on being a VIP (I still have much to learn myself) and apparently, that's not what you are. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.
Old 09-20-04, 06:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Completely and totally tasteless to YOU maybe. It's like some guy I see on the street with a PDA, a super duper cellphone and a notebook computer in his hand, any of the three items in his hands would be totally capable of doing everything he wants, but yet he still owns all three anyway, coz he loves gadgets in excess. Probably it's the same with the VIP guys. Many of the cars you see on the VIP sites are all about excess - excess wheels, excess drop, excess bodykit, excess hp, excess paintjob.

Maybe you are just not VIP. But that's ok. Not many people approve of being VIP at all, I even said numerous times that the stuff I see on some of these VIP rides are downright stomach-churning. Besides, I didn't say having insane HP cancel out tasteless mods. I said having insane HP kinda takes away the "riceness" of it all, since in my books, rice usually refers to any mods done to a car that does not improve its performance in any form whatsoever. I never knew "tactless" mods (according to your personal opinions) are equivalent to being rice.

But, heck, Hameed, we both know that I completely adore your car, so this has totally nothing to do with your way of modding, or my way of modding. I was just shedding some light on being a VIP (I still have much to learn myself) and apparently, that's not what you are. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Yes you are right, thank god I am not VIP. Whew, that was a relief!

I was just commenting in general about being VIP, and yes I don't consider you to be VIP either (as far as I am concerned that is a good thing based on what I have seen regarding "VIP ness"). I love your car, the body kit, Turbo Engine and all. It's all good. As you put it it so well - being VIP is being in "excess" (or as I would call it - "tasteless").

Last edited by Hameed; 09-20-04 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Wow, check this shifter surround....