GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow, check this shifter surround....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04 | 07:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed

Yes you are right, thank god I am not VIP. Whew, that was a relief!

I was just commenting in general about being VIP, and yes I don't consider you to be VIP either (as far as I am concerned that is a good thing based on what I have seen regarding "VIP ness"). I love your car, the body kit, Turbo Engine and all. It's all good. As you put it it so well - being VIP is being in "excess" (or as I would call it - "tasteless").
Hameed-Would you consider this VIP car tastless???

VIP isn't about just one way of styling your car..Jtanoyo showed just one of many different interpretations of a VIPStyledCar..Some choose to go a more subtle/classy route and others are the extreme..
Old 09-20-04 | 07:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by johnee78

VIP isn't about just one way of styling your car..Jtanoyo showed just one of many different interpretations of a VIPStyledCar..Some choose to go a more subtle/classy route and others are the extreme..
So how come there is no distinction between John's car above and the pic that jon posted above that is soooooo tasteless? Why are they both VIP? I can't see how two cars modded completely differently can be lumped together in the same sentence.

Anyway, it does not really matter to me what VIP connotes. To each his own. I just think that the VIP definition is too wide if it encompasses John's car above and the pic that jon posted. Peace out!
Old 09-20-04 | 08:00 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

So how come there is no distinction between John's car above and the pic that jon posted above that is soooooo tasteless? Why are they both VIP? I can't see how two cars modded completely differently can be lumped together in the same sentence.

Anyway, it does not really matter to me what VIP connotes. To each his own. I just think that the VIP definition is too wide if it encompasses John's car above and the pic that jon posted. Peace out!
But that's the beauty of VIP. You could be stock and still be VIP, you could be totally wild and extreme (within the right considerations) and also be VIP. Your mentality is not of being a VIP, but like it or not, you drive a Lexus GS, and that automatically makes u a VIP bro!
Old 09-21-04 | 02:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by johnee78

yup, very tasteless i tell him that too, come on, it's not even an orange color

just kidding. from what i have seen so far, everyone just has their own difintiion of vip. it's very extreme too. honestly i read quite a few jap mag and i swear, almost half of the VIP cars i see there, jeeez..... they are complete garbage imho. i dont' care how much money they spend or how rare it is, dumb is dumb to me.

i can't even find a fine line for myself what's real vip and what's not. something could be very wild but i like it. something could be barely noticeable but i hate it...
Old 09-21-04 | 03:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
just kidding. from what i have seen so far, everyone just has their own difintiion of vip. it's very extreme too. honestly i read quite a few jap mag and i swear, almost half of the VIP cars i see there, jeeez..... they are complete garbage imho. i dont' care how much money they spend or how rare it is, dumb is dumb to me.
Your description perfectly described the pic the jon posted at the beginning of this thread!

Here's my contribution to this thread: (this guy won at the NOPI nationals 2004)

Old 09-21-04 | 07:56 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

haha ok that red GS' trunk was wayyyyy overdone IMHO. ... i like the wheels tho... Macintosh decks are not MY cup of tea either.. do they all look like that... ? sure they may be expensive..and performs well, but id rather buy an Alpine F1 status which has a more up to date design and probably can compete in terms of SQ...

IMHO We should just keep negative comments to ourselves about other peoples cars.. because its THEIR car and as long as their happy with what they've done, then more power to them. Modding cars is not about impressing your peers, but rather a form of self expression and self fullfilment. Think about it, imagine if everyone in this forum had the same wheels, body kit, trunk setup? it would make things pretty dull and boring? I like seeing variety..I think you all will agree when i say that there are ALOT of GS' with L-Sportline bumpers/kits, and L-tuned kits, TTE lips, etc.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-21-04 | 09:05 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jucee187
IMHO We should just keep negative comments to ourselves about other peoples cars.. because its THEIR car and as long as their happy with what they've done, then more power to them. Modding cars is not about impressing your peers, but rather a form of self expression and self fullfilment. Think about it, imagine if everyone in this forum had the same wheels, body kit, trunk setup? it would make things pretty dull and boring? I like seeing variety..I think you all will agree when i say that there are ALOT of GS' with L-Sportline bumpers/kits, and L-tuned kits, TTE lips, etc.

Without a doubt, that's the best summary I've heard from a car enthusiast to this date
Old 09-21-04 | 10:19 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Any close shots of that red GS's trunk? It looks horrible... but maybe its just that view..
Old 09-21-04 | 10:21 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Your description perfectly described the pic the jon posted at the beginning of this thread!

Here's my contribution to this thread: (this guy won at the NOPI nationals 2004)

See that's my point. This dude is NOWHERE NEAR being a VIP....AT ALL. Black center rims, cf trunk and gas cap, no real exhaust tips.....he just lost the whole VIP look competely....

In fact, if anything, you posted EXACTLY what a non-VIP is, even though he drives a Lexus GS.
Old 09-21-04 | 10:24 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jucee187

Oh come on now, don't tell you that you never had done one of those cool lil mods that you are so eager to take pictures off and show off to your CL mates? I know I do that all the time. It could be something as small as new wipers and you would still take a million pics of it and in the back of your head you'd go "oooohhh, those folks on CL are gonna be sooooooooo jealous...."

Come on now, don't lie....

Last edited by jtanoyo1; 09-21-04 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-21-04 | 10:33 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

lol.. unfortunately my budget doesnt allow me to make such purchases... my mods are nothing new/special.. most members already have on their cars.. so.. no point to take pics.. =) as for you mr "custom kit" ..you have reasons to show off..

I just need $30,000 USD to make my GS the way i REALLLY want it. lol

accepting donations. haha.
Old 09-21-04 | 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
See that's my point. This dude is NOWHERE NEAR being a VIP....AT ALL. Black center rims, cf trunk and gas cap, no real exhaust tips.....he just lost the whole VIP look competely....

In fact, if anything, you posted EXACTLY what a non-VIP is, even though he drives a Lexus GS.
well, dunno, is there a firm definition of VIP with no cf, certain exhaust, etc...? if it's only "common" among vip, that doean't count. it has to be a definition somewhere
Old 09-22-04 | 12:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
well, dunno, is there a firm definition of VIP with no cf, certain exhaust, etc...? if it's only "common" among vip, that doean't count. it has to be a definition somewhere

You mean a definition somewhere like on the Thesaurus or Webster?

No, but is there a definition anywhere about anything that says what should or should not be? And what should or should not count? There are just certain things that ooze VIP and there are certain things that you JUST know is not VIP. Looking at the countless VIP mags that I have, most if not all the VIP rides that grace the VIP mags don't sport GT wings, don't sport CF garnish and don't sport "certain exhausts". There are certain trademarks that are VIP-esque, like there are trademarks that are drifter-style or ricer or whatever. There's nothing in the definition anywhere that states what it is that makes u rice or a drifter or a showmodder, like there will not be a definition anywhere that says u are VIP.

In final conclusion, I still think bright yellow maple wood dash garnish is NASTY, just like quadruple up-slanted 7" long exhaust tips, that are VERY common to VIP styling. But like it or not, that's VIP for you, it's there to stay and it's not up to anyone to say it being right or wrong, common or uncommon.

Last edited by jtanoyo1; 09-22-04 at 12:20 AM.