GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300: 30k Service Costs - Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 12:04 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Stage3
watch out for the 60k... it starts at $700 and change and for the premium its like $1100. true, you get your car back brand new, but Im doing my own services from this point out.
Just did my 60K service at Lexus Dealer -- 320 something with AAA discount.
Old 09-29-04, 02:50 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by chuckb
Don't BMW owners pay bigtime for maintenance? I don't remember details but I know it's High
Yes, BMW owners pay an arm and leg for servicing and repairs outside of warranty. That's why you see so many of them on eBay motors with drastically reduced prices, no current owners want to foot that bill! Buyers of BMWs always come into our office and talk about how they don't have to pay for oil changes, tire rotation, etc because of the maintenance package BMW throws in on their new models. I think to myself your such a fool, BMW has factored in just how much those services are worth and tucked it neatly inside that MSRP you just paid for your dime-a-dozen 325i. German engineering ain't wait it used to be.

Last edited by Jayson; 09-29-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 02:59 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know the actual bmw maint. prices. just curious. I thought I heard something like $500 oil changes every 15k miles?
Old 09-29-04, 03:01 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally posted by Dislexic
You gotta expect premium prices for service on a premium brand name automobile... Regardless if it IS a Toyota, it IS still branded as a Lexus... The esteem factor and all that jazz.
Never quite understood why so many people b*tch about the servicing costs of a Lexus. Own a BMW or a Mercedes and then they will see that Lexus vehicles are true bargains. You make a great point Dislexic. Profit margins on luxury vehicles do not end at the time of original sale. Prices continue to be higher through the entire ownership experience and should rightfully be so than a companies lesser line of vehicles. Everyone should think about the manufacturers "targeted demographic" and then everything should fall into place appropriately.

I've been in both Toyota and Ford servicing departments and they are night and day when compared to Lexus. As Lexus owners, we ARE paying, through the higher bill, for the nice leather couches, flat screen TVs, and "complimentary" coffees, juices, and danishes in the lobby. Aren't there any Business Majors (besides myself) on Club Lexus that can better explain this?
Old 09-29-04, 03:03 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
Just did my 60K service at Lexus Dealer -- 320 something with AAA discount.
Do all Lexus service departments offer a AAA discount? Hmm....interesting.
Old 09-29-04, 03:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
Don't BMW owners pay bigtime for maintenance? I don't remember details but I know it's High
Not in the first four years of ownership (and 50K miles) - all free. After that it is comparable to Lexus...i.e. expensive.
Old 09-29-04, 03:46 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Jayson
.......neatly inside that MSRP you just paid for your dime-a-dozen 325i. German engineering ain't wait it used to be.
Driven a 325i lately? I would guess not, cause if you had, you probably wouldn't make that comment.

Oh and it is you're not your. Very important to get that right when you are calling someone a fool.
Old 09-29-04, 08:56 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally posted by doug_999
Driven a 325i lately? I would guess not, cause if you had, you probably wouldn't make that comment.

Oh and it is you're not your. Very important to get that right when you are calling someone a fool.
Picky, picky, picky... Why are you proof reading threads anyways?

Yes, I have driven a 3 series lately. My boss has a 330ci and she cannot wait to get back into a Lexus. I am surrounded at work by people who complain ALL the time about their 3 series that is in the shop for this, that, and the other. I am not calling any member here a "fool," but rather those people who believe they are getting "free" maintenance when the actual maintenance cost is built into the vehicle's price.

Last edited by Jayson; 09-29-04 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-30-04, 12:42 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post 30K Service

Originally posted by audio28
I'm due for a 30K service, What do I need to do for this service. Plus is there a dyi for it. I'm a broke college student.
All you need to do on this svc is the diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant, tire rotation, brake inspection, adjust the shoes for the parking brake, change the oil and filter, air filter, and a/c filter. If your mechanically inclined this is definately a diy.

Will
Old 09-30-04, 12:50 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post AAA Discount

Do all Lexus service departments offer a AAA discount? Hmm....interesting.
$320 something for a 60k is lower than dirt cheap. What did they do for that price?

If the particular dealer you deal with has the AAA discount, they usually have a sign that advertizes it in the service drive. You can also call and ask them by phone or in person. Btw, even with the AAA discount, you wouldn't pay anywhere $320 for a properly done 60k

Will
Old 09-30-04, 01:10 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

What do they during the 30k service?
Old 09-30-04, 01:26 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Default 30k Service

Originally posted by audio28
What do they during the 30k service?
Audio,

Here you go,
All you need to do on this svc is the diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant, tire rotation, brake inspection, adjust the shoes for the parking brake, change the oil and filter, air filter, and a/c filter. If your mechanically inclined this is definately a diy.

Will
Old 09-30-04, 04:20 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by doug_999
Isn't it kind of rainy down there?
You wouldn't believe the man's first name...lol
Old 09-30-04, 04:21 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by Letsride
Bud.....shoot me a PM. If you're in Winston Salem take a ride up my way (GSO) and I'll bring you to a reputable dealer to get the work done.

Dont and I mean DONT GO TO FLOW!!
What's so bad about Flow? I don't go there but my dad does for his LS
Old 09-30-04, 05:21 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Picky, picky, picky... Why are you proof reading threads anyways?

Yes, I have driven a 3 series lately. My boss has a 330ci and she cannot wait to get back into a Lexus. I am surrounded at work by people who complain ALL the time about their 3 series that is in the shop for this, that, and the other. I am not calling any member here a "fool," but rather those people who believe they are getting "free" maintenance when the actual maintenance cost is built into the vehicle's price.
First off, thanks for taking the "your" comment in check - I did that to one other guy on this board and he almost started crying.

Next off - I do agree, that the costs of the maint are built into the car - obviously they have to be. But you could make the argument that a guy like me who leases actually only ends up paying for 54% of his maintenance costs - interesting thought eh?

A co-worker of mine owns a 3 series and every time I ride in it, I realize how much I miss a German car. The thing is rock solid. When I hit a bump in my GS, I feel the thing shudder from the front wheels through the car. Very annoying once you have been in a car that does not do it. Anyway, that's off thread - back to thread topic...

The main advantage of having "free " service is that there is no chance of the dealer messing with you on what's required and what is not. I like that the most. I hate the fact that the Lexus dealers are always pushing services that are not required. My new dealer does not give me a hard time like the old one at least. But still I have to request that they not do things and that bothers me.

Quick Reply: GS300: 30k Service Costs - Sticker Shock