GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS3/GS4 Steering Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-01, 09:47 AM
markjenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to correspond with anyone who has had the following TSB performed or has further information on it:

ST003R-98 JUN 98 GS 300/400 Steering Flutter Field Fix Procedure

Thanks in advance,

- Mark (markjenn@halcyon.com)
Old 04-19-01, 01:54 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

If this TSB is in reference to the steering wheel shimmy that occurs around the 60mph mark, then I would believe more than half the 98' owners on this forum have had this problem dealt with, myself included. What exactly is your question or concern? I told my service technician about the problem, and it was fixed no problem free of charge. This was over a year ago, well after the problem had been acknowledged.
Old 04-19-01, 02:32 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Welcome Mark

Mark,

Good to hear from you again. We traded emails back in January 2000 on several issues including the steering wheel flutter. Back then you were kind enough to fax me the fix for the sunroof popping sound. I have since passed it along to several others who were very appreciative.

I don't have the TSB you are looking for. My car was manuactured later and they told me it already had the fix.

My steering wheel vibration was finally fixed by ditching the chrome 16's with cheap Turanzas in favor of the satin 17' with michelin pilot sports. I personally documented the wheel slippage on the rim.

I understand why you want the TSB in your hand. Seems like the service folks are less likely to blow you off when you can show them that you know what you're talking about and in some cases provide information to them that they may not have. (They certainly have a tendency to act like they don't have it anyway).

I'm still looking for the TSB's for the various squeaks and rattles. I need to visit the local dealer on this again in a few days. Good luck on your TSB search.

Ron

Old 04-19-01, 04:47 PM
markjenn
Driver School Candidate

I'm interested because I'd like to have a copy or at least the exact symptoms when I bring the car in. My car (10/97 build) has never had the issue until recently, and even now, it is fairly intermittent. But when it happens, it is annoying and very noticeable. It also has a new symptom - if the steering is in the "flutter mode" and you brake, the flutter becomes much more pronounced. But I don't think it is braking caused, because you can often brake when the steering is steady and have no problem.

As others have indicated, many service writers will attempt to 'blow you off", indicate that the TSB isn't applicable, or start down a long process of other fixes before addressing the problem. In fact, many of these TSBs for flutter often begin by stating that all other adjustments should be preformed first (alignment, wheel balance, tire pressures, tire replacement, etc.) in an attempt to placate the customer - but if they still complain, then do the TSB. I'd like to know this if true.

I had to escalate at my dealership to the service manager level to get the last TSB performed (the infamous sunroof creaking one) - I was told that it was a squeak and rattle issue and the warranty for this, even if covered by a TSB, is 12K miles/one year and mine was at 15K miles/2.5 years.

I'm aware that many have had this issue, but I don't think that is it universal by any stretch. My car didn't start exhibiting the issue until the last 5K miles - I replaced the original Generals with Michelin Pilots when the car was new, so perhaps this has masked the problem some. I think I might be in that zone where they'll also try and get off doing it on the grounds that they will not fix wheel and alignment issues after 3.5 years.

Basically, I'm looking for info and ammo.

Thanks for any help,

- Mark