GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Very annoying and irritating rattling coming from the drivers side vent..............

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 04:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts
Thumbs down Very annoying and irritating rattling coming from the drivers side vent..............

My GS has developed this very annoying rattling sound coming from the drivers side vent though in the last week or so. It is so loud and obvious - it is driving me literally insane............ I am absolutely **** about "extra" noises in my car.

It does not help one bit either that my wife's 97 Maxima SE with three times the mileage on it and two years older has absolutely no rattles from the dash. My GS now sounds like absolute junk whenever the road is slightly bumpy.

I did a search here on CL and two posts came up discussing this rattle from the left side of the car, however both posts address rattles closer to the brake pedal release rather than higher up at the vent itself.

Any suggestions anyone on what to do to resolve this? How can I take out the vent itself? I want to take it out and put some felt in there and see if that stops it.

Last edited by Hameed; 09-27-04 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 06:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Hameed,

Felt sounds like a good idea. Alternative thought...

Have either of your kids ridden around in your passenger seat lately? Missing any toys or pocket change?
Old 09-27-04, 06:38 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a rattle or a popping sound? I had a similiar sound from the passenger side vent but it was a popping sound. Are you sure that you are not annoyed by all the other noises and this is the one breaking the camels back? I finally solved my center console buzzing sound. It was not just the shift lever benzel. It was two additional items in very close proximity.
Old 09-27-04, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
Is it a rattle or a popping sound? I had a similiar sound from the passenger side vent but it was a popping sound. Are you sure that you are not annoyed by all the other noises and this is the one breaking the camels back? I finally solved my center console buzzing sound. It was not just the shift lever benzel. It was two additional items in very close proximity.
It's definitely not a popping sound - rattling/creaking is the closest description to the noise.

No I am definitely NOT annoyed by "by all the other noises and this is the one breaking the camels back? ". Currently this is the only noise coming from my dash, so I am not sure what you are trying to say or referring to.

Dave, no, missing toys or change.

By the way kids are not allowed to sit in the front seat of the car - it's a safety issue. In a possible accident the air bag can injure a child because of their height (or lack thereof).

Last edited by Hameed; 09-27-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 08:53 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro simple solution.. install your super duper audio system and turn up the volume when you drive.. voila no rattles.. haha..

to take out the vent should be easy.. i think all you need is a flat head screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape to prevent scratching. thats how i took out my center vents. to do the headunit install..
Old 09-27-04, 08:59 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do not try to pop out the vent. I beleive there are two screws on the back side. It is not like you center vent.
Old 09-27-04, 08:59 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by jucee187
Bro simple solution.. install your super duper audio system and turn up the volume when you drive.. voila no rattles.. haha..
Ha ha LOL. Maybe you can loan me the required $5K to do the install and I will get it done today!

to take out the vent should be easy.. i think all you need is a flat head screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape to prevent scratching. thats how i took out my center vents. to do the headunit install..
Thanks! I will try that today.
Old 09-27-04, 09:19 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure I might have had the same one.

It's not very common and hard to hear. It's definitely annoying though.

On mine it was coming from the top of the dash defroster vent.

I folded a match book cover a few times and slid it in between the dash and vent.

The rattle would only be heard at a certain MPH. So you had to be cursing like exactly 65 or so to hear it.

Anyway good luck and hopefully that is the spot you need to attack.
Old 09-27-04, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by alexulan
Not sure I might have had the same one.

It's not very common and hard to hear. It's definitely annoying though.

On mine it was coming from the top of the dash defroster vent.

I folded a match book cover a few times and slid it in between the dash and vent.

The rattle would only be heard at a certain MPH. So you had to be cursing like exactly 65 or so to hear it.

Anyway good luck and hopefully that is the spot you need to attack.
Mine manifests itself differently. It has nothing to do with the speed of the car. Mine is heard only when I go over sharp abrupt bumps - like a manhole cover where the pavement and cover is not level or similar types of undulations in the road.

On smooth roads, there is absolutly no creaking/rattling sound at all.
Old 09-27-04, 01:25 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up hameed

just 5k for the stereo, don't get skimpy now!!!
either it could be the glove compartment, or even the sunroof,
Old 09-27-04, 01:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Re: hameed

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
just 5k for the stereo, don't get skimpy now!!!
You gotta pay to play brother!
either it could be the glove compartment, or even the sunroof,
I have a hard time understanding how something in the glove compartment or sunroof could cause noise to come out of the left side vent (the vent on the left hand side of the steering wheel)............
Old 09-27-04, 01:47 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default i know

its a weird though, but it might help
Old 09-27-04, 09:27 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car just developed a rattle also that drives me insane, the rattle comes from the vent on top of the dash that defrost the front windshield. any ideas on how to fix this will help greatly. so i know how u feel.
Old 09-28-04, 09:31 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YEA
Read this thread
Old 10-12-04, 11:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

So I finally figured out the source of this rattling noise!

You will not believe it when I tell you the source of the noise.

The damn EDFC module was rattling and also hitting the dash and causing the dash to rattle!

I felt so stupid when I had Desmond check out the car and he discovered the source of the noise in less than 2 mins of driving the car! The EDFC itself rattles. Couple that with the way I have it installed, it was also hitting the dash and somehow causing a rattling to occur in the vent area........... So there are actually two sources of the noise.

So now when I go over bumps i just hold the edfc unit in my left hand and now no rattles!

I have to somehow reposition it or do something else to it so that the rattling stops.....

Last edited by Hameed; 10-12-04 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Very annoying and irritating rattling coming from the drivers side vent..............