GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Defend your Lexus !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-01, 07:34 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny stuff here. Check out the post on Mercedes versus Lexus. Feel free to post to argue or defend. My only beef is that instead of using facts to defend the MB, only anecdotes and stories were used.

Funny stuff, read for yourself and post your opinion. Keep it professional and non personal.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...3&pagenumber=1
Old 04-19-01, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Waste of time trying to post there. Mercedes are great cars, first of all. Their 'value for money' proposition has improved as a result of competition like Lexus.

But many MB enthusiasts see Lexus as only a copier, not an innovator. Any smart company though is BOTH. These people probably hate Microsoft too, which copies AND innovates and markets well - which is the secret to success.

Old 04-19-01, 10:22 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone keeps on saying Lexus copies Mercedes.... what exactly was copied? GS headlights from the E-class? I dont' think so. Then what else? I don't see how Mercedes is the premium brand anymore now. It used to be, but now it just lost it. Their cars lacks performance, plasticky and boring interior, identical taillights and bodydesign for many cars (C-E-S-SLK-CL taillights). Poor attitudes, high cost of maintainance.... Even the bodykitc cost more than others. What's so good about Mercedes anyways?
Old 04-20-01, 12:12 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

I wouldnt say lexus is copying mercedes... I would say Lexus is influenced by MB, Bim, etc but refines their technology and adds more....
But, i would also say, Lexus is influencing or actually forcing the other carmakers to increase the standards their quality (service, low-maintenance and repair cost, friendly(most) service, etc).... this is true because of "healthy-competition"... if a monopoly exists... the quality of service tends to suck... as competition pops up, the consumer has more options and basically is given more benefits...
The companies are fighting for YOUR business... not you're fighting for the prestige of owning a shi$$y product.
Old 04-20-01, 09:09 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

I have to say something about this, but I don't want to offend anyone....

IMHO, the Japanese are brilliant! Over the last 25 or so years, they have taken products invented by others, and perfected them. Look at things like electronics. They were not the innovators, but were certainly the ones that took the inventions to a new, reliable level. And let's be honest, there is something inherently smart about allowing someone else to do the groundwork, and then enhancing it. Same thing with their cars, and I, for one, are not complaining!!!!

C.
Old 04-20-01, 10:13 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default yep

Just thought it was interesting stuff. It is one thing to say mine is better than yours because of this fact, or this research, but I just hate the "well my sisters aunts cousins best friends doggroomer said that....." .

Like many others I like both auto makers. Some models in each category, certainly not all.
Old 04-20-01, 10:50 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with bit, its a big waste of time trying to say anything in there! they will just flame at us, we flame at them like bimmer.org or whatever. us lexus guys think benz's are worse then lexus' for whatever reason we have, they think benzes are better probobly because thats how they were raised, oh look at that beautiful Merc! wow look at that, i wish i had that merc blah blah, the name, its mercedes, so it popular. whatever, i read some of that stuff, obviosly they exadurate, i bet we do too, oh well. i know one thing

LEXUS DOESN'T COPY BENZ, if we did, why would we sell MORE cars then them??
Old 04-20-01, 02:21 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mercedes coincidentally decide to start producing both a C-class wagon and coupe....which is what BMW has in their entry-level series ?! These Mercedes owners should be THANKING Lexus and BMW for forcing Mercedes to get off their asses and start innovating and pricing competitively. They've been getting screwed for the last 10 years over lackluster "German engineering" and inflated prices, and all of a sudden feel that out of nowhere, for no apparent reason, Mercedes is now rewarding them for their years of dedication ??!! It's called aggressive competition, hence the reason that they use Lexus and BMW in their pricing comparisons now.
Old 04-20-01, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
LEXUS DOESN'T COPY BENZ, if we did, why would we sell MORE cars then them??
Not sure if you're being serious there Sasha, but I don't think that logic holds up. Lot more Rolex knock-offs sold than the real thing!

Old 04-20-01, 07:32 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

knock of rolexes are exactly the same, lex's are different, oh well to everyone their own

i hate benzes.

i love lexus'.
Old 04-20-01, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
i hate benzes. i love lexus'.
If someone offered you an S600 for your GS300, would u trade?
Old 04-20-01, 07:56 PM
LexusPilot

Default Re: Mercedes vs Lexus

It is Lexus or BMW for touring for me, and Porsche for coupes. I drove a 540I sport 6speed this week and I was impressed. I like the styling of the GS better. I remember seeing the 98+GS for the first time. The GS sitting on the lot looked like the prototypes from the Euro's.

I lost interest in Mercedes when they dropped the S body from the early 90's in exchange for the new smaller Sclass. The LS430 is the clear leader of Luxobarges(I call Daddy cars) right now.
Old 04-20-01, 07:56 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna

If someone offered you an S600 for your GS300, would u trade?
I wouldn't.

But then again i'm 19.

CL55 I'll take (if not, CLK 55 is fine too)
Old 04-20-01, 09:12 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I would take the S600 even if I didn't like it cause then I could sell it (around 120g for the 2002) and buy a brand new GS430 if I want (50g 2001) or a new CL55 (around 100g I suppose?) and keep the rest of the money as a bonus :-)

Whoever says no to a 2001 S600 trade for their GS ANYTHING is certainly nothing thinking straight !
Old 04-21-01, 06:40 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

S600 ARE YOU KIDDING????

I'd be in that car and gone in a flash!!!!!!

C.

Quick Reply: Defend your Lexus !!!