GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

K&N drop-in added; Considering BOOST

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-01, 11:14 PM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I just put in my K&N drop-in filter this past week. I didn't notice an increase in noise or performance. I'm not disappointed. I suppose it would be nice to get the HFI/ECU from Swift (group buy going on), but I'm not ready to give up my warranty and add the noise quite yet. Is it really only good for a couple of tenths off the 0-60 & 1/4 mile time? It seems like 40 ftlbs should go a little further than that. I would think that it would feel pretty strong.
Does anybody know what 1/4 mile times I could expect with intercooled supercharger 5-6 lbs of boost?(GS400) Is it worth the money and the risk? Have there been any problems encountered with adding boost to this engine/transmission/etc...? I want something rock-solid reliable. Am I dreaming? Or, is it possible?
Afterall, I would love to smoke an M5, but I wouldn't want him to see me on the side of the road with my hood open.
P.S. I live in South Florida and have heard of Toyomoto. Anyone get their work done there by Lance? Would you recommend it? Thanks................
Old 04-19-01, 11:26 PM
RacingAristo

I believe mkilty would have this kind of knowledge and certainly would love to help yah out.
Old 04-20-01, 09:47 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey Lex-Toyo:

If you really are trying to lower your 0-60 times, it's hard to beat the torque converter. You can probably pick up half a second. The SRT HFI/ECU may not pick up a half second, but it totally changes the feel of your car. The throttle response is much crisper, and the 40 to 70 passing speed is phenomenal! I posted a review for both earlier, and Swift Racing posts it on their website. Check it out.

swiftracing.com
Old 04-20-01, 10:12 PM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks David! I appreciate the response. I'm just a little worried about people fooling around with the transmission.
Also, are they having any long term problems with the TC? Or is it just as reliable as stock? Is it a safe and easy install for a local mechanic? Thanks!
Old 04-20-01, 10:28 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hi Lex:

The TC fits between the motor and the tranny. You don't have to get into the tranny. It does put more torque to the rear end and driveshaft, but the GS's *** end is really strong. Besides, the VSC will keep it from over-stressing. If you turn the VSC off, you'll spend a lot of time smoking the tires. As far as warranty coverage, I'm sure if you blew a tranny or rear-end, the TC would void the warranty. For me, if I did that, I'd put the stock one back in before I took the car in!

When I bought my GS400, my buddy bought a 540i. We have both been doing mods, he's done the suspension, wheels, an intake and a new chip. I've done the TRD suspension, SRT HFI/ECU TC, and some body work. When both cars were stock, I'd have a slight nod in acceleration, and he could out handle me. Now I can totally blow him into the weeds, and my car handles better than his bimmer! My car is closer to an M-5 than a fixed up 540; and I still have a lot of bucks to go before I catch up to the cost of an M-5.
Old 04-20-01, 10:49 PM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

Well David,
I certainly am being sold on the idea. The TC is sounding better. I would love to get rid of the hesitation. Just tonight, I payed a toll and was taking off slow. The car was probably in 2nd or 3rd (auto mode), and in power mode. I stomped on it and it hesitated for a much longer than usual time. It just kind of "sat" there a moment. Longer than usual. It also happened to me the other night taking-off from a light. I first started off slow, then punched it. Long delay. This doesn't happen every time. It is a little odd though. The car always seems to hesitate a little, but sometimes more than others. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the car overall. It was running very strong tonight. I had so much (safe) fun driving home from my girlfriend's. I wish I had an excuse to take it out again. Thanks!