GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 04:55 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get another Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8, and call Kenne Bell and get his supercharger kit for it. Also, carried and sold by Performance Products, SUV parts reseller. His kit is called the "Unlimited" and supposedly runs into the mid 13's in the 1/4mile w/ SC kit and Borla exhaust. As fast as the Ford, seats five, and is far more comfortable........ Besides, imagine the look on faces when a Jeep dusts a Camaro SS, Ford Cobra or non-Z06 Corvette. What could be better?
Old 04-24-01, 06:04 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW X5 4.4 (4.6 coming soon) - Built in Alabama.
Mercedes ML430 or ML55 - Built in SC.

We've had an X5 since January, and are very happy with it. And let's face it, these are a darn sight better than some of those others mentioned!!!!!

C.
Old 04-24-01, 08:35 PM
LexusPilot

Default Clublexus is awesome.

What other boards do you get so much response to an off topic question. Maybe it is a good question to ask if you can't have a Lexus, what do you get? My friend and fellow Porschefile, used to always ask ourselves that question in school growing up. What would we buy if we had 30, 50k, or 100k but it could not be a Porsche.

Ira I like the add for the Kenne Bell SC kit. It says ext to the pic "do not try this at home(spinning all four wheels)", but that is the first thing I would do

LexusLady I know those cities were backwards, but good point. My friend also chimed in on the X5. I am really thinking about the X5. He autocrossed one at the Ultimate driving experience and said it handled well. I just don't know about the price of the X5.

I am also looking at the price of gas going north fast. A Denalli for instance will cost me 3300 more a year if the gas price goes up to 2 bucks. But then again that isn't much, and totally expensable.

I just can't do an STS. I just don't like them; I have tried to like them a few times just because of HP etc but I can't do it.

Hmmmmmm still thinking..maybe something will stick by July.

Old 04-25-01, 04:20 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

STS is a front wheel drive car...kind of odd for it's class.
Old 04-26-01, 06:43 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Default States actually......

Originally posted by LexusPilot
LexusLady I know those cities were backwards, but good point.
LexusPilot - You're absolutely right. Must be the paint fumes!!!!!

X5 - Spartanburg, SC
ML - Tuscaloosa, AL

C.
Old 04-26-01, 09:13 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

"caddywack"...LOL!!! Oh, that cracks me up! Lincoln LS is kind OF cool - new cadillac deville is too (now remember I said KIND OF cool). It's HUGE too, so it should accommodate passengers fairly well.

Okay i've got it. A four door (crew cab I think is what Ford calls it) Harley Davidson Pickup. They are badass. I like it better in the extended cab version, but the four door will accommodate four people much better - like an Expedition. Then you can get a toneau cover and hold, securely, the golf bags. 20in factory wheels!!! They fit perfect with the truck. It is asolutely awesome, and about 33-34k, no options, only made one way. I've posted a picture similar to this one before, some may think I would want to buy one myslef...hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails What would you buy?-hd.jpg  
Old 04-26-01, 12:17 PM
Kerr
Driver

If you have the money get a hummer. Nothing more American than that big mother!

If I were you i would fix up the jeep. It might sound stupid but they are cheap and fun. I love mine and am getting ready to install a suspension lift, lift and snorkel. Go to this web page. then forums. You might get hooked like I did. www.jeepsunlimited.com Im Kerr on there also.

However if you do decide to trade get the 60anivershery grand if you can still find any left!

My Mom and Dad live by GM products. Dad has a 00 denali and mom had 01 suburban, they trade every other year and have for the last 9 years. I would say get the Denali with 350hp v8 and AWD it would have to be fast and nice.
Old 04-26-01, 12:39 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Cool

1SICKLEX, I would love to come to the meet. All depends if I leave on time. I am going home this weekend, so if I went to the meet I thought about going on my way back to Macon, but 12noon is too early to head back to school. I may just go down, and then go back home and head back to Macon later in the afternoon.

Can you give me directions on how to get there. I can get to I-85 from I-75, but after that I am at a loss.

I just cannot stop laughing at your response to LexusLady's scratched rim...you can incoportate that candy a** saying into anything huh?...lol!
Old 04-27-01, 07:39 AM
LexusPilot

Cool re: HD 150

Good call on the HD edition. Talk about brownie points, d#mn! Have never thought about a pick-up really.

Are those bed covers watertight? and secure? I need to drive one of these. I have no idea if they(4door) have enough room for A/V stuff.

I think that would appeal to my customer base too. I apologize in advance for using labels; it was difficult at first breaking my customers into these deomographics because I don't think that way. My customers(around 1200) are about 60%wm/nascarfan some redneck some just country almost all have p/u trucks or suburbans, harleys- 20%suburban wm or bm, middle management alot with SUV's or daddy econo commuter ie old honda- 10% bm younger guys most with trucks or big suvs both on big rims and a few in the family cars, 5% mexican americans all in texas all drive p/u some western style some fixed up with big rims etc, 3% asian citizens working here, 2% Executive managment and owners of ferrari, Lex, Bimmer, MB, two have vipers, Harleys. Some people I cannot call on in GS because they think it means I make too much money. Others tell me which car to drive when I pick them up for lunch or dinner. A few of course don't care.

That truck would have mass appeal, now if I can only like it. I'll find one to look at today
Old 04-27-01, 07:51 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I really like the Harley Davidson, i mean REALLY. I have seen some lately on the highway and they look awesome driving down the road...they have a serious and distinct presence. There should be plenty of room inside and out. Not sure if a toneau comes from the factory, but you can get all kinds of aftermarket ones that are waterproof-there is almost an infinite amount of choices for toneaus. You could also put a bed rug in if you are going to carry golf clubs. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-27-01, 10:13 AM
Kerr
Driver

This is what I would do.

1) if you have the money buy a hummer. Nothing more American than that big mother.
2) the new denali is going to bad. Travis, (best friend) works for Chevrolet dealer that sells caddies and GMC's anyway he said they will fly.

However this is what I would do. Keep your jeep. If you go to trade it they will only give you about 19-22K for it. I would do the following, Keep the jeep and put some stuff on it. I have just decided to keep mine because they would only give me close to 11K if i was to trade it.
There are also a lot of options out there for the grand's. For example lift kit, bigger tires, brush guards, winches, etc etc etc. Or if you dont like that look, install the supercharger and headers, Some of the guys on www.jeepsunlimited.com have gotten into the high 13's with grand's, and one guy is in the low 12's!

Im Kerr on there also.
Old 04-27-01, 01:09 PM
LexusPilot

Default re:hummer

I have ridden/driven in a hummer. You would not want to drive 50k miles per year in one. They are not at home on the road.

My 99 GC is a six, has 98k miles and is a two year(100,000 mile) lease up june 1, with a residual of $7500.
Old 04-28-01, 01:33 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

lexuspilot - Just get another gs then debadge it . Stop at the local ford/chevy dealer and rebadge it as a ford/chevy .

When you pick up your clients tell them its a 2003 ford/chevy .

Just kidding !
Old 04-29-01, 07:38 PM
LexusPilot

Good idea! LOL

and a jeff gordon sticker