GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 08:11 PM
LexusPilot

I still have my GS, and actually have an IS in the family now, but I will be getting rid of my 99 Grand Cherokee company truck. If you had to drive an American "built" car/truck that cost less than 40k, what would you pick? I work with union workers thus the need to drive a "built in America" car/truck. I want the most bang for the buck in performance and appeal. I love driving the Jeep GC, Just bored with it.

Grand Cherokee Limited
Denalli
Lincoln LS
M Class-only because made in AL
or maybe something less expensive but with aftermarket stereo video

Thanks

I wish I could keep my 2kGS(to modify) and get a new company GS430 for travelling. Would that be too much having two GS's in the drive and an IS
Old 04-20-01, 08:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even under the strict "Built in USA" rule, I would choose some Japanese cars built here:

Best choice is probably Acura 3.2 TL Type S.
Also consider Honda Accord Coupe EX V6. Not bad for the value.
Toyota Avalon is built here also.

If you have to go with TRUCKS:

Toyota Tundra
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier
(all made in USA)

If you have to go with AMERICAN TRUCKS:

Ford SVT Lightning!
Old 04-21-01, 01:07 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SVT Lighting

I will get the SVT Lightning for sure!! In fact, I had put deposit down for a Lightning, but I canceled my order to get a GS 400 instead.
I really love the truck after I test drive it. The truck pulls very strong in any speed. You feel 100% confident once you hear the super charger kicks in.
Well, go drive it, I bet you won't be dissappointed.
Old 04-22-01, 07:03 PM
LexusPilot

Default plus

Oh I forgot to mention I drive it 50k a year. It also has to hold four comfortably and 4 golf bags.

Where is the new toyota suv being assembled. The one that looks like a landcruiser?
Old 04-22-01, 09:46 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs down ewwwww

Don't get no trashy Ford Lightning, trucks are made for construction workers and off-roaders, there is no such thing as a street truck, what is the whole cab for?!

Anyway, Infiniti is foreign right? If not go for a QX4! Umm, i hate american cars, they're all junk, after owning a Lexus I see the light. BUT, my friend's dad had a expedition (yes, a crappy expedition) It's all black with big chrome wheels and chrome grille and brush guards. THAT CAR IS SERIOUSLY BEAUTIFUL!! I think expeditions are a waste of space but that thing is beautiful!

Well, just my 2 cents
Old 04-22-01, 10:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ewwwww

I think you're talking about the Sequoia, I believe it's built in Japan. Or wait, maybe it's not.... Tundra can hold 4 people and 4 golf bags...... all lying down on the flatbed!

and:

Originally posted by Francis K
Don't get no trashy Ford Lightning, trucks are made for construction workers and off-roaders, there is no such thing as a street truck, what is the whole cab for?!

Anyway, Infiniti is foreign right? If not go for a QX4!

Well, just my 2 cents

Yeah Francis, Japanese cars and trucks are the best! TO ME MORE SPECIFIC, TOYOTA AND LEXUS!!

But...

If you had to drive an American "built" car/truck that cost less than 40k, what would you pick?
So.............. I think as long as Japan is not a part of the United States, QX4 won't work.

Besides...... with RX300 and LX470, why QX4?

Guess your 2 cents got inflated!
Old 04-23-01, 12:16 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

lexuspilot - i beleive the Sequoia is built in Indiana alongside the Tundras. What is your budget? If it has to be american why not the 2002 cadillac escalade? I saw one the other day and kinda like it but would never buy it . Nothing says american made like that big SUV . But if i were to buy an suv LX 470 would do it for me.

Damn just read the under 40 k part . No escalade for that price.

Francis - You would buy an overpriced pathfinder (Qx4) ?
Personally i wouldn't . Rather get an rx 300 or even acura MDX .

I think even the acura MDX is american made in Ohio.
Old 04-23-01, 01:23 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather go with a denali its the same thing as the cadillac with GMC badging on it thats all and personaly I think it looks a little nicer and I would never buy a honda product or acura for that matter but I think the MDX is a winner for its price the options you get in it are amazing its not too much of an off roader but if you dont plan on doing any or maybe some modarate off roading I would go with the MDX but if you are looking for some serious off roading while bieng comfortable the toyota landcruiser is the way too go I have test driven the toyota landcruiser, jeep grande cherokee, jeep cherokee, ford explorer, ford expodition, GMC yukon GT(older body style),Nissan super safari ( not available in the US), the dodge durango, and the Range Rover discovery 4.6 .

the winners in my opinion were:

1. Nissan Super Safari ( patrol )
2. Toyota Land Cruiser
3. Range Rover Discovery 4.6
4. Jeep Grande Cherokee
5. Jeep Cherokee
6. Dodge Durango
7. GMC Yukon GT
8. Ford Eplorer
9. Ford Expodition

All these cars were tested in the desert in Kuwait they all belong to my friends so we do this every weekend I had the Explorer and the Expodition and a Super Safari but thats what I think was the top 9 list that I acumelated over the years on driving these SUV's in the desert just my opinion though
Old 04-23-01, 08:32 AM
LexusPilot

Default Thanks for all the replies

and advice!

Unfortunately for the accord would get me laughed at of town. I would be laughing at it too FWD

The car has to be at least a modest status symbol or rugged. My peers drive Denalli, yukon XL, caddies, town cars. And the cheap MF's drive taurus's.

I am thinking either a full blown grand cherokee limited or Denalli. Has anyone driven a Lincoln LS?
My budget is around a 40-50k car, these are leases on the trucks and sometimes 50k are cheaper than 40k, because of incentives. Escalades were real cheap in december(the old ones).

If I say Fu$$ it and go with import I would just buy a GS!!
sorry no time to spell check
Old 04-23-01, 09:33 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

If you are going to go all out, i would get the new 2001 Cadillac Escalade. Now that is an SUV that will catch some eyes, especially with the new redisigned front grill and headlights. The Denali would not be bad either, basically the same setup as the Escalade. If you heart is really for a truck, I would have to say, HANDSDOWN, the SVT Lightning. You can't get any faster than that for a truck. Even though it is a Ford, but knowing that you can run low 13's in a quarter mile with a TRUCK, that all that needs to be said!!!

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-23-01, 01:35 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Okay, just for the record

i would take any LX over a QX4 it was just a suggestion, for god's sake I own a LX! Okay, don't get an escalade, in a month it will drive you crazy when you see 5 of them at every intersedtion, same thing with the LS. I wouldn't buy anything american at all.

Last edited by Francis K; 04-23-01 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-23-01, 03:13 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs up DAMN SICK!

Hell yea! STS all the way baby, one of the very few half-way descent american made cars left.
Old 04-23-01, 05:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Alright, lets see....Well the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks cool, but the interior room isn't that great. The newest version (Limited pacakge) has cool 17in wheels and a 5-speed automatic transmission, plus they are the off-roading icon of america - very rugged and manly...that's what you going for right? Cadillac Escalade, probably to much for a fixed up Tahoe...just go with the Tahoe (or yukon - whichever grille you prefer), fully loaded, if you go that route. Escalade (the 02 version) is VERY powerful but has very poor gas mileage.

The new '02 Ford suv's are going to be used for some sort of smaller linconln suv...maybe look into that. I like the Eddie Bauer Expedition myself. You have automatic climate control - can get sunroof, great ride especially in a 2wd. It is cheaper than the LX 470, both in price and quality, but still the quality isn't bad. Probably would be my pick over all of the behemoth SUV's under 40k. You have rear load leveling for heavy loads, automatic headlights...yadda, yadda. Ford is going to do some fairly significant revisions on the Expedition soon, dash and such. So, you could get a good deal on a new one or wait for the newest version.

As for the mid-sized, the new GM SUV's are cool. They have new inline 6 cylinders that are all aluminum and pack 270 horsepower and a good amount of torque. The Envoy looks cool...they are bigger than the previous version and have load leveling too. Be careful thought, they are being recall for some faulty suspension part, ALL of them are being recalled. The new Ford Explorer is having trouble too, but it is ungly anyway. The Envoy has 17in. wheels too, and a few other cool features. Finally, for just about 40K you can get a very nicely equipped - testosterone filled (but British) Land Rover Discovery. They look cool, are extremely rugged, but boxy. You will sacrafice in ride and gas mileage as well as power. Not a good choice for driving other around. I still say Expedition. Extensive test-driving is the best way to decide.

Hope this helped more than confused you.
Attached Thumbnails What would you buy?-american-suv-s.jpg  
Old 04-23-01, 08:20 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs up YEA!!!

I SAW THEM TEST DRIVING THE NEW LINOCLN SUV NEAR MY DAD'S PARTY WHICH IS ACROSS THE STREET FROM WAYNE ASSEMBLY WHERE THEY WILL BE MAKING IT. IT LOOKS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE AMERICAN BUT I WAS DAZZLED!
Old 04-23-01, 11:56 PM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Default One more time: get a Lightning

I have to advice you to get a SVT Lightning again. Because it is really a awsom truck. I know it is a Ford, but this could be the only Ford with doors shut like a Lexus(maybe not quite as good). And I had more fun in this truck than I have in my GS 400. It is more stiff, corners better(yes, better), and nothing takes off like this truck.

At least go test drive one.

Quick Reply: What would you buy?