GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

E-Shift very functional

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 10:36 PM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've only had my '98 GS400 for about a month. At first, the E-shift wasn't that practical to me. When in manual mode, I noticed that the computer shifted for me much quicker than I could. So, I have gotten into the habit of just using manual mode to downshift. Does it really help the accel. times to try and use it for the upshift? Or is it better to just have it in manual mode and let the comp. do the shifting? I'd love to hear some personal experiences with this issue.
However..........I did notice this past week that the E-shift is awesome for the twisties. It really blows me away that I have so much better control when taking on/off ramps in E-shift mode. I can really find the limit and keep it there without using the brakes. This is a whole new world to me! It makes a huge difference! I found that entering a turn around 60mph, and keeping it in 3rd results in outstanding performance. Most of all, it results in so much more control than keeping the car in "automatic" mode. Please keep in mind, I am very farmiliar with these turns and there are no unsafe "dips" or "angles" to them. I can't imagine not having the E-shift. Is it disappointing for the new GS430 owners? Don't worry too much if it is. I would love to have a new GS430.
By the way, you guys were right....I am loving this car more each day! Thanks!!!!!
Old 04-21-01, 12:35 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Question A lesson on using E-shift?

LexToyo,
I don't know how to drive stick, so I don't know how to use the E-shift very well. How come the E-shift never goes to 1st, it only goes down to 2nd? Well, maybe you can give some tricks on how to use the E-shift, so I can give a try.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-01, 07:05 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Several mags have tested the GS 400s acceleration in auto vs trying to E-shift and the conclusions were that you're faster if you let the tranny do the work on auto.

However, in the twisties, you will always know that you are approaching a curve before the car can figure it out so e-shift can help a lot. Before you get to the curve shift down a gear or two and then when you accelerate coming out of the turn you'll be in the right gear already -- you won't have to wait for the tranny to automatically downshift for you.

Also, when you want to pass, downshifting with e-shift will help substantially because you can choose your gear before getting your foot into it.

When the e-shift is in 2nd and you start from a standstill you will be starting in first. I'm told it doesn't shift down to 1st as a technique to protect the drivetrain, just as it upshifts automatically as you approach the red line. Also, if you think about taking a tight turn you're almost always going to choose second gear, especially in a car with the 400s torque -- few would need first (just as I seldom used first when taking a turn in my 5 speeds).
Old 04-21-01, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Marty - I can tell you're really going to miss the e-shift when you get your 430... have you considered buying a low miles 2000 GS4 (mine, haha)? Wouldn't have the wood wheel either.

Old 04-21-01, 07:18 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Nice try bit.
Old 04-21-01, 09:15 AM
GS4Man

Default E-Shift

In traffic, the E-Shift is the only way to go. You can then keep the car in 3rd and when you want to punch it, there is no delay. I am not sure I would buy the GS430 now w/o it. I use E-Shift all the time.
Old 04-21-01, 10:09 AM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

When I see the turn up ahead, I have been putting it in 3rd. Since 2nd redlines going about 65mph, and 3rd redlines at about 100mph, it is a perfect gear to play in on those highspeed twisties (60-100mph).
I too noticed that the E-shift never shows 1st gear. However, it does start in first from a take off even though it shows 2nd. Lexus just wants to take care of that first shift for us. Most manumatics (if not all?) are like that from what I've been hearing.
Is it any faster at the track to leave it in manual mode and just let the comp. do the shifting? To be honest, I am no good at timing my up-shifts.

The MOST impressive thing for me about E-shift is that I can let off a little on the turn and the car immediately regains grip. In auto mode it "coasts" more; there is no "engine-braking" when its in the higher gears. Big difference! I am sure that most of you are farmiliar with this. But if someone is not, give it a try. Much more performance/handling ability when using the engine instead of the brakes. Thanks!