GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help please =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-01, 12:22 AM
lexus808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and it's the best one I've come across. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and I hope that some of you could help answer a few questions for me. I'm planning on buying a lexus and am a total Lexus newbie and I'd appreciate your expert opinions. I looked through the Q&A already but I guess it doesn't answer my specific questions...

1) I live in Hawaii and though it's quite nice, we are isolated on our little rock. We only have one lexus dealer and it's a Servco one. So I can't really play dealers off each other to bargain prices like you all can. I was wondering if I got a good deal on my car (does it sound reasonable to you? what did you guys pay? The best price I got was $42,488.65. This is for a 2001 GS300 with only the premium package (heated front seats etc) and wheel locks. This price includes tax %4.167 and all fees. How does that sound? Ok? hehe hope so.

2) I read that the lexus GS 300 comes pre wired for cell phones. Is this true? What does that mean? Is there a mic built in to the wheel? What would need to be added to get a hands free setup going with the prewiring that's already there? How much am I looking at to do this?

3) Does the IS300 come with a cell phone antenna as standard? Why doesn't the GS300 come with one? We pay more eh?

4) I guess this is for Percy the audio guru but anyone can give me an opinion. I was thinking of probably upgrading the speakers on my stock system later. If I was planning on spending $1000 for that could I get good results? What would you guys recommend be swapped out. And what would you swap it with? I like powerful bass but it doesn't have to be earth shaking. The Q&A suggested some speakers but I'd like to hear what models and stuff you guys would suggest. I know little about sound systems so that's why I'd like your input.

5) Would a new headunit be compatible with the stock system and cdchanger? What would I need to make it compatible? harnesses? whatelse? Sorry for being vague I dunno yet what head unit I would want. Or is the stock unit good enough? I wanted to play mp3's from a portable player but I think I read there is no easy way to do this with the pioneer deck?

That's it. Sorry if this is long. You can just answer one question if you want. Any advice would be great. Bye guys. I hope to be getting my lexus next month.
Old 04-22-01, 03:20 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Lexus808

Well I am definately not an expert on this forum (compared to Percy, Gene, Sasha, Globe, ect. ect. ect) but I can help you out with a few of your questions. I had a lot of them myself and got great advice.

There is also someone on this forum from Hawaii but I forget his handle He has a Spectra Blue Mica GS400 with FULL L-SPORTLINE kit, rims, tc, ect. ect. ect. You might want to talk to him!!

NOW TO YOUR QUESTIONS:
About the price, I wouldn't know. I have a GS 400 and got a good deal cuz my dad knew a dealer from a local store!! hehehe

As far as the cell phone. I think what it means by being "pre-wired" is that it's compatible with a LEXUS CELLULAR PHONE!! You can have Lexus put in a cellular phone for your car. I haven't heard/read about anyone having it though so I'm not sure how it works.

For the speakers, I would reccommend the Diamonds. Hex series I believe. I heard them about a week ago at a stereo shop for the first time and LOVED THEM!! They are relatively inexpensive also. (Master P is a DIE HARD Dynaudio fan but those seem to be a little out of your price range) For the BOOM, you should swap out that CHEEZY stock 10" and put in a JL audio W0 or W2. They both sound GREAT!! I'm sure you can put a W6 (top of the line JL woofer) in there but I haven't heard of anyone donig it yet. The JL line would also be in your budget!! Maybe not the W6 tho

Regarding the head unit. The answer is NO. If you put in a new head unit (even if it's a Pioneer, which is what Lexus puts in your car) you WON'T be able to use the stock 6 disc changer. I've read that the Alpine changer will fit in that location though so a swap there would work out nicely!!!

I'm sorry I can't assist you anymore and I hope this info helps. I'm sure some of the Lexus Guru's will respond soon (THEY ARE GREAT AT THAT) and they can be even more specific than I.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR LEX!!

--Justin--
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-22-01, 02:48 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up aloha

i cannot believe you have been lurking for a while, and just chose to identify yourself now; j/k

welcome. some of your answers:

1.price: consider you are in hawaii, i guess it is not to bad for the price of the above mentioned gs300. in la, the lowest price gs300 equipped as such would be ~$1000 less than the price you were quoted.

2.speakers upgrade: for $1000, Percy would tell you tp go for the DYNAAUDIO, and JL for the subs. take a look at the electronics section for the exact model. Percy just did a detailed discussion about one month ago. just keep the head unit, the speaker upgrades would be adequate for your budget.

will
Old 04-23-01, 03:10 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey I was just reading your post and I had a JL audio 15" W6 sub in my lex for a while before it ripped it sounds awsome very clean bass and it handles some good power but I prefer 2 12" subs instead so I got the pioneer premier 12" subs and they sound awsome and they hit very low frequencies too people dont believe I'm running 12" subs but if you want sound qualty for your budget JL W6 is the way to go you could go for 2 12" vega strokers too they are selling for 350 a piece while the JL's are around 200-240 depends on where you look and you shouldnt have a problem with your stock mids and tweets they are excellent speakers and I saw no need to change them with my 2 12's that are pushin out around 750watts they are very clear but you might want to add some tweeters in the back if you have people sitting there all the time since the bass there is much louder than the bass up front.

another way to do it is too take that stock 10" sub out and get a custom setup to where you have a powerful 10" sub in its place like a rockfordfosgate power series 10 that putts out around 1000watts rms and 2000watts peak wow!!! and have a box setup up underneath in the trunk and close that back part off.

when it comes to the after market speakers and subs there are many things you can do it all depends on what you want in your car and what kinda sound you want even the boxs make a diffrence do you want it in a sealed box ( most people prefer this over other boxs since it gives you that punchy bass) or a ported box ( gives you semi punchy bass with a little of that deeper bass) or a bandpass box ( gives you that realy deep bass but you loose alot of that high pitched bass best used for rap music and hip hop) ect.,ect.,ect. I suggest you go to many diffrent car stereo places before making a choice ask people about the boxs and the how they like there bass see which one works for you me personaly I like the ported box since it does give you deep bass and it also has somewhat of a punchy bass too it I had a sealed box before and I did like it alot but I want some real deep bass so i went with the prted instead so ask around and see what suits you best hope this helps a little.
Old 04-23-01, 11:57 PM
lexus808
Rookie

Talking

Thanks everyone for your advice I will look into the different speaker types that you all mentioned and see what we have to offer here on this rock we call hawaii. I'm sure the shops stock them but I wonder how much it will run me. If I just change out the sub what do you think that would cost me as far as having someone install it? I know percy said anyone can do it but I'm a total audio newbie so I don't want to mess up my nice new baby. But I guess I'd consider it if installation costs a lot.

I'm still wondering about the cell phone wiring. Maybe I'll fire off an email to lexus and see what they say. Thanks again for all your input. I love this forum! It's like everyone's one big family and you vets don't go flaming us newbies with our newbie questions hehe. well I guess I'll post more after I figure out what I'm gonna do and when my car finally get shipped to hawaii.

oh hey I got one more question I just thought of. Did you guys all get the Lexus trunk mats for your cars? Is it worth getting? Just wondering. Think it costs like $50 or so. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-01, 05:31 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

If you're going to spend $40K+ on a car, what's another $50 for a trunk mat that is fitted for your car and has the Lexus name and logo embroidered on it.

Similar situation arises as it relates to using regular versus premium gas--- sure it's an extra couple of $$ at the gas pump each time, but considering what you are paying for the car, it's worth it.

Enough rambling, get it!

BTW, you might be able to work on the price a bit more, but like GSwill said, you are in Hawaii where competition for customers is nowhere near that seen here in No. and So. California. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-24-01, 05:37 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

About the trunk mat...I've never seen a GS without one..nor did my two salesmen show any willingness to discuss deleting it...just like the wheel locks...sort of a mandatory option.