GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how much does a set of cross drilled rotors cost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 04:11 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much does a set of cross drilled rotors cost

i was just wondering what is the going price for a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the gs400. also what kind of pads do u recommend and how much they cost also. thanks
Old 10-07-04, 04:13 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

around $240 for all four? or $120 for two.
Old 10-07-04, 04:20 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an extra set..... you got PM.

PS... Axis MetalMasters for brake pads and throw in some steel brake lines.
Old 10-08-04, 12:43 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how much does a set of cross drilled rotors cost

Originally posted by b1gredek
i was just wondering what is the going price for a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the gs400. also what kind of pads do u recommend and how much they cost also. thanks
I paid $127 plus $25 shipping for a pair of X-drilled Brembo's for the front. Rears are a bit less as they are solid not vented. The Axxis Metal Master brake pads are great, quiet and minimal dust. About $80 for set of four. Can definitely endorse the braided stainless steel brake lines though they made more of an impact when installed in my SC400 than they did on my GS400. You can get a set of 4 from TM engineering for about $105.
Old 10-08-04, 05:37 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

around $240 for all four? or $120 for two.
ebay ?
Old 10-08-04, 05:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

You can also buy them from Carson Toyota - they have some of the best prices and service.

Check here for brake parts - http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st..._id=9&cat_id=4
Old 10-08-04, 06:48 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the brembos mentioned above are not real brembos aside from them just being blanks(no offense) i made the mistake all ready with doing the powerslots thinking that because they were brembo blanks and then slotted by powerslot boy was i wrong , after 10 months of aggressive driving the rotors showd thermal stress cracks all around both fronts and the brake judder was horrible

i just installed a REAL set of brembo sport rotors in the slotted desigh .. these are the same castings and made from the same foundry used in their 6 and 8 pot applications so they are made and designed to withstand the harshness... they have such a beautiful bronze silvery coating on them you almost dont want to drive on them but notice in the pic below the sweep pattern of the slots going reverse.. that was intentionally down so so pad gets sweeped at the outer most point first sweeping inward while the internal cooling veins are rotating in the opposite direction...

they are great but pricey but no more cracked up slots for me and btw i hate drilled

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-08-04 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 08:45 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

sounds like i am not gonna go with the cheap rotors that everybody is offering these day, i am just tired of the stock lexus brakes, they suck, i had them changed in february and they squeak already with the pads showing more than fifty percent left. since now everybody is talking about the steel lines, guess i have to save up a little more now to get those also
Old 10-08-04, 08:58 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

You can also buy them from Carson Toyota - they have some of the best prices and service.
it asked me for my credit card number at check out and i dont even know how much the rotors will cost me. it gave me a 'starting at" quote w/o shipping cost. is that how it's supposed to be ?

Last edited by tytgs300; 10-08-04 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 12:29 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexforlife
the brembos mentioned above are not real brembos aside from them just being blanks(no offense) i made the mistake all ready with doing the powerslots thinking that because they were brembo blanks and then slotted by powerslot boy was i wrong , after 10 months of aggressive driving the rotors showd thermal stress cracks all around both fronts and the brake judder was horrible

i just installed a REAL set of brembo sport rotors in the slotted desigh .. these are the same castings and made from the same foundry used in their 6 and 8 pot applications so they are made and designed to withstand the harshness... they have such a beautiful bronze silvery coating on them you almost dont want to drive on them but notice in the pic below the sweep pattern of the slots going reverse.. that was intentionally down so so pad gets sweeped at the outer most point first sweeping inward while the internal cooling veins are rotating in the opposite direction...

they are great but pricey but no more cracked up slots for me and btw i hate drilled

Not sure what you mean by "REAL" If real means made by Brembo then they are real. They are not oversized but are OEM direct replacement rotors. I had original equipment rotors from Lexus on my SC400 which were neither drilled nor slotted and they warped causing unpleasant brake judder. The coating referred to is a cadmium plating to prevent corosion and is available from many different suppliers
Old 10-08-04, 01:50 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

sorry if i offended you but just clarifying when people claim they have brembo crossdrilled and or crossdrilled and slotted

real brembos are not just blanks that some other companies buy and usually they are the inferior castings from brembo of mexico vs brembo using their chosic casting from their own foundry in italy.. these other companies will buy them and then crossdrill them or slot them most of the time without any specific process or even a cnc machine and that will compromise a already doomed casting

real brembos are not cad plated for that process is a cheap inexpensive way of retarding the devolpment of rust vs eliminating altogether..

the finish on my brembos are the same finsih applied right after casting and is the same process used for their 6 and 8pot applications

the real brembo sports which can be found at brembo.com retails from 299 to 330 for my supra tt applica quite a far cry from 127 for a pair of ??????

again sorry if i put down your purchase didnt quite mean it that way but i have done a ton of research on this rotor issue because of what happened to my powerslots within 10 months of driving and btw the powerslots was also starting to develop rust

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-08-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 03:25 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience.... you have the super cheap dinky rotors that would take a ***** on you if you requested it... or you have rotors that are well... decent rotors... of the rotors that actually work.. there isn't much difference. Most of the time its the manufacture that messes up the rotors by their Cross drilled patterns etc etc.... the biggest change you can do to your brakes have got to be calipers... then Steel brake lines... rotors and brakes are sort of minor and I doubt most of you would be able to tell the difference performance wise. However some applications cause squeeks or abnormous amounts of brake dust etc etc...
Old 10-09-04, 05:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

not only the screwed up drilling but also inferior castings that cannot withstand the heat generated un der moderate to aggressive driving in other words they dont react well to thermal stress