GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Problem programming new master key

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 08:35 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get the transponder to register to the car with the key I recently purchased from Frank's Locksmith using believe it or not a valet key. I know it is a valet key because it has no remote and it will not physically fit into the trunk or glove box locks. The new key does start the car but I cannot get the remote to work. Using the procedures from this forum and Frank's Locksmith, I am unable to register the remote. I know it is correct and I am doing it correctly as it works perfectly for all remotes I try to register to my 02. I only get the locks cycling twice telling me the remote programming was unsuccessful. I just have no working remote for the 98. It is not accepting any remotes. I was thinking that the FCC ID might be different for this car. The key from Frank's Locksmith has no FCC ID but all the other remotes I have been trying are HYQ1512V. Does anyone have a 98 model that uses a different FCC ID?
Old 11-26-05, 05:42 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I may be wrong but I thought you couldn't program with just the valet key. You have to have a working remote to program another remote. If you don't have a working remote it's off to Lexus to retrieve the codes and program it there.
Old 11-26-05, 01:30 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

I don't know how but I figured I had nothing to lose with trying to program the new key with the valet key. It definately does work. I may have to take it to the dealer to get the remote working. I planned to take her car for the full checkup anyway when we sell her old one.
Old 06-21-06, 07:45 PM
Albqlexus
Driver School Candidate

Talking Does this work on a 2002 LX470?

Hi All, first time poster. When I purchased the vehicle it only came with a valet key. I ordered a pre-cut master key from Sewell. Quite a few sets of instructions going around. What set of procedures will work on my vehicle? If I don't do it correctly will the vehicle be immobilized?
Old 06-21-06, 08:06 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 things

1. If your "system" is similar to the GS400's you will not be able to program without a master
2. You will probably have better luck getting the required info in the LX470 forum (this is the GS forum)
3. Talk about digging up an old thread
Old 06-22-06, 02:00 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least Albqlexus performed a search first!

welcome to clublexus!
Old 10-02-06, 09:16 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ex540guy
Key was cut. $165.
I called Bob Baker Lexus here in San Diego and they were quoting me almost $300 for the master key and programming. Is there any place cheaper? I always look around first. Just like how I found out about the free owner's manual.
Old 10-09-06, 06:38 PM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

so does these steps apply to my 93 sc400? I've been asking around and recieved no responses. Please help me, I bought a uncut key with remote. The remote is not the 2 button independent remote but rather the remote that's on the side of the key itself. Please help
Old 01-09-07, 07:34 PM
my_fiveten
Driver School Candidate

It took me approximately six tries, mainly because of the timing, and it worked! Thanks ex540guy for following up and letting us know what problems you came across.

The main problem I had was that I was over-complicating the "lock, unlock 5 times".

Basically, while the driver's side door is unlock:

1. lock, unlock
2. lock, unlock
3. lock, unlock
4. lock, unlock
5. lock, unlock

What I was doing wrong was I was beginning my count on the first "lock", which locked the door when it instructed me to close and open it afterwards. This may sound silly, but I'm sure there is someone out there that will find this info useful...the same way I found the "manual lock" useful.

By the way, I purchased my master key from Street Keys and had their affiliate cut it for me. very smooth transaction.

If anyone from So.Cal needs help programming their keys, send me a pm, maybe we can meet up and I can do it for you.

Dennis
Old 01-21-07, 11:21 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Default For those who bought their Master Keys from Sewell

was it programmed to start the car?

I received mine and it is cut but it wont start the car. I gave them the VIN number.

I tried that programming steps for the doors but it will not work. I followed the directions exactly, and I'm wondering if this is related to not having the engine program yet.
Old 01-21-07, 08:28 PM
my_fiveten
Driver School Candidate

I programmed the key to start the key first and then the door locks.
Old 01-23-07, 01:33 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver
was it programmed to start the car?

I received mine and it is cut but it wont start the car. I gave them the VIN number.

I tried that programming steps for the doors but it will not work. I followed the directions exactly, and I'm wondering if this is related to not having the engine program yet.
I followed these steps on the key i purchased from sewell a couple of weeks ago, and worked like a charm. Took about 2minutes to program:

Insert working master key in ignition, within 15 seconds press acceleration pedal to floor 5 times, within 20 seconds press brake pedal as far as it will go 6 times. Remove master key. Insert new key in ignition but DO NOT TURN. Press acceleration pedal one time adn release. Security lamp on dash will blink for 60-80 seconds. When lamp goes out, key is programmed. Press brake pedal one time to exit programming mode.

-EDIT: This is for the key to start yoru car... if yoru talking about the remote programming instructions, then im not sure.
Old 11-22-09, 02:00 PM
98cruiser
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ex540guy
Bought a new master key from Darrel at Sewell Lexus. Got it programmed to start the car, but can't get it programmed to open the doors. I followed these instructions, which I believe came from a post Romini found:

Okay, here they are. I'm also including some additional trivial notes that may or may not make a difference.

I was given two sets of steps to run. I'm not entirely certain that both sets have to be performed, but it worked for me (after a couple of false tries).

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO CREATE A SPARE KEY:
Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pdeal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.
7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press any transmitter button for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again.

Tried four times, but no luck. The door locks still cycle 2 times, indicating code wasn't accepted, and the doors don't open. Any suggestions?
ok I tried to program the new cut key, I didnt press on the gas and brake pedal at the same time before starting, cause that was not on the instructions I had, so I followed all the other steps but when im done the light never stops blinking, I even waited for 20 mins, and it was still blinking. so would pressing both brake and gas pedal first, solve my problem????????????????????????
Old 12-01-09, 03:38 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Got the keys I ordered from Spare Car Keys.com today. Instructions Worked Great. Phase 1 program in one try. I have to try twice for phase 2. After the system cycled twice, I closed the door and pressed the lock key and it worked. Opens the door and the trunk and also starts the car.