GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HORRIBLE steering wheel "skreech"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 06:21 PM
daveyB14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this EXACT problem with my 98 GS3. At first, I thought I could live with it. But now it's downright embarrasing and annoying.

I was hoping it just needed some lubrication around the motor gears. Now, I'm almost cringing at the fact I may have to drop close to $2k to get this annoying problem fixed. Hell, $2k can get you and nice reliable used car for that price. I have around 71k miles, do you think the dealership will "goodwill" this repair job?

Does anyone know who may be able to repair this other than the dealership? Anyone good in the so cal area?
Old 10-11-04, 07:36 PM
F4Luder
Driver

Originally posted by chuckb
Oh-that's good. I thought you said they called and said you had to pay $1300 or whatever.

Did you buy your warr from Lex dealer? I'm considering getting the ext. warr before mine comes up in april. How much does warr. run?(If you don't mind)
i bought my car from a non lex dealer. Extended warranty for 100,000 miles 6 years cost me $1400.00 with a $50.00 deductible.
Old 10-11-04, 07:38 PM
F4Luder
Driver

Originally posted by daveyB14
I have this EXACT problem with my 98 GS3. At first, I thought I could live with it. But now it's downright embarrasing and annoying.

I was hoping it just needed some lubrication around the motor gears. Now, I'm almost cringing at the fact I may have to drop close to $2k to get this annoying problem fixed. Hell, $2k can get you and nice reliable used car for that price. I have around 71k miles, do you think the dealership will "goodwill" this repair job?

Does anyone know who may be able to repair this other than the dealership? Anyone good in the so cal area?
i say buy the extended warranty and then have them pay it. Extended warranty can be found online for as low as 500-600 bucks ....... for 2 years - 24000 miles .....
Old 10-11-04, 08:21 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Tilt/Tele Noise

Go to another dealer and ask if your car falls within the VIN range for the Technical Service Bulletin for this problem. They can even tell you if this repair has allready been performed on your vehicle if you aren't the original owner. They know this was a known problem with GS', LS', and LXs. Also if your warranty has expired, ask about their "Goodwill Warranty". It won't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Will
Old 10-12-04, 03:07 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

i bought my extended warranty from Lexus
Platinum 7yrs/100k with 0 deduct for 1700. I'm sure I will use it somewhere down to the road.
Old 10-12-04, 11:45 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by ILOVEGIRLS
here is something i found looking around. i know i read a while back that some one on this site replaced something similar on a GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...g+wheel+repair
This guy's write up was EXCELLENT !!! Unfortunately, it is for an SC and not a GS... I just tried it and it appears the mechanics are different... as quoted from Florida Evans of GOODTIMES... "DAYYMMM DAYYMMM DAAAYYYYYMMMMM" Appreciate the help though =)
Old 10-12-04, 12:22 PM
F4Luder
Driver

just got my car back today and the steering wheel sounds perfect. I asked the guy for you whether we really need to replace the motor and he said that oiling it might fix the problem but since i had the warranty, it was better for me to just replace the whole thing.

The parts on that come out to $770 (not 1500-2000 like he had told me on the phone yesterday) and labor was around $200. So my total on that was $970.00 and some change.
Old 05-25-05, 11:10 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the forum searching for threads for the steering problem I have and found this thread. Mine does not do any grinding or crackling noise when it goes up/down/in/out. my problem is when you first put the key in ignition, steering comesdown and out per your memory saved. Sometimes it just come out and does not go down. When I try to push the button for it to go down it hazitates until I move the wheel out or in and then try, it works, but when it goes up it makes this lame sound like the motor is weak and it is very hard for it to pull the wheel up? So, you have any thought on that? I have 2001 GS430 85k miles, no warranty! I read that some people spent $1000 to get the motor replaced in the dealer, I refuse to get raped by the dealer! So, before I go to find another mechanic to work on this, I decided to ask around on the forum. My other problem with steering is that, when I go overt certain bumps I feel and hear a little loose cracking sound coming from steering, feels like something is loose inside the steering. My family mechanic said that it could be some valve inside the steering column and to fix it, i might need to replace it and it will cost a lot, he told me to just drive it. I mean it is a $50k car, a Lexus, should be built like a tank, and having these little annoying problems.. Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-05, 09:04 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump

needed for a 98 GS400
Old 07-03-05, 10:54 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

I experienced the same problem with my 98 GS4. The noise from the telescopic steering became so bad, that all conversations would have to stop in the car until steering column ceased moving. Now that is loud, and unacceptable.

The first Lexus dealer I took it to stated that my extended warranty would not cover the telescopic stearing motor because the part had not failed. Rather, it was close to failing. However, once it failed, then the extended warranty would cover it. That was unacceptable to me.

The second lexus dealer was kind enough, and took the time, to call the extended warranty provider. Lexus tried very hard to get them to cover this part, but to no avail. Subsequently, they decided to replace the part under good will. Can you guess which Lexus dealer I now take my vehicle to?

Now that it is fixed, it is a night and day difference. A completely different vehicle from an interior luxury point of view.
Old 07-03-05, 11:29 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

my car is out of warranty! help!
Old 07-03-05, 03:10 PM
phisig
Pole Position

I had a faint sqweek and what I did was remove 3 screws on bottom of the steering column schroud. On the GS one is at the bottom, then turn the wheel 90 degrees in each direction to find the other two screws. After they are all taken off the bottom part of the schroud should be loose, gently pull it off. If you play with the telescoping wheel, you will see various parts move, lubracate them really well with WD-40 and play with the telecoping button until the WD has worked its way throughout the moving parts. Bolt everything back together and your done.
Old 07-03-05, 03:32 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by phisig
I had a faint sqweek and what I did was remove 3 screws on bottom of the steering column schroud. On the GS one is at the bottom, then turn the wheel 90 degrees in each direction to find the other two screws. After they are all taken off the bottom part of the schroud should be loose, gently pull it off. If you play with the telescoping wheel, you will see various parts move, lubracate them really well with WD-40 and play with the telecoping button until the WD has worked its way throughout the moving parts. Bolt everything back together and your done.

be carefull with WD40. It is great for temporary lube, but it's no substitute for grease.
Old 07-03-05, 04:40 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

so what kind of grease should I use instead?
Old 07-03-05, 05:16 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ranjankhan
so what kind of grease should I use instead?
my guess would be white lithium grease

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE steering wheel "skreech"