GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HORRIBLE steering wheel "skreech"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 12:04 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HORRIBLE steering wheel "skreech"

I have a HORRIBLE steering wheel squeeling/skreeching sound everytime my telescopic wheel adjusts (at ignition start of and shut off). (98 GS4) Does anybody else have this? I took it to the dealership (Nally Lexus of Atlanta) THREE times and STILL... it sounds HORRIBLE. First they adjusted some sort of boot... and it stopped for a day or so.... then they lubricated the "lubricatable parts' =)... to no avail.. Finally, they say "that is typical of a GS that age"... BULLSHHHHH !! I have about had it with this horrible sound. I mean a gindy type of squeel that is literally EMBARRISING everytime someone rides in the car and says "What's that noise ???" and look at me with that "Ain't this a LEXUS???" look ! Considering dumping the car...and I hate it because it looks sooo fly =) (expecially sitting next to the GS) HELP !!! ANYONE... PLEASE ADVISE !!!
Old 10-11-04, 12:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always wondered how long it took for those to go bad.
Sounds like something is definately worn. Did it gradually get worse or just all of a sudden start?
I would have another dealer look at it.Definately sounds like an expensive repair. Good luck.

Last edited by chuckb; 10-11-04 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 12:13 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like your steering telescopic motor is going bad. It happens with age! I had mine replaced under the warranty when it started making a little bit of noise. Do you still have the extended warranty on your car? I would try another dealership. Its obvious this dealership is not very helpful...

FYI.........
the motor is pretty pricey about $2000 if you have to pay out of pocket.

Good luck!

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 10-11-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 12:29 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post Tilt/Tele Noise

Go to another dealer and ask if your car falls within the VIN range for the Technical Service Bulletin for this problem. They can even tell you if this repair has allready been performed on your vehicle if you aren't the original owner. They know this was a known problem with GS', LS', and LXs. Also if your warranty has expired, ask about their "Goodwill Warranty". It won't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Will
Old 10-11-04, 12:31 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by alsilverbullet
Sounds like your steering telescopic motor is going bad. It happens with age! I had mine replaced under the warranty when it started making a little bit of noise. Do you still have the extended warranty on your car? I would try another dealership. Its obvious this dealership is not very helpful...

FYI.........
the motor is pretty pricey about $2000 if you have to pay out of pocket.

Good luck!
yeah.. i've got an aftermarket extended warranty through 100K... I didnt purchase this GS from them. BUT I did purchase an 02 ES3 from them and an 03 GX470 .. AND get all my services there! but they keep saying the "motor" is fine. and i mean this noise is CRAZY sounding! I mean AT LEAST tell me whats wrong with it and how much it is gonna cost if it is NOT under warranty! WTF! (and i digress =) I am going to another dealership... Thanks peepoez!
Old 10-11-04, 12:33 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Default Re: Tilt/Tele Noise

Originally posted by TAMR_GUS98
Go to another dealer and ask if your car falls within the VIN range for the Technical Service Bulletin for this problem. They can even tell you if this repair has allready been performed on your vehicle if you aren't the original owner. They know this was a known problem with GS', LS', and LXs. Also if your warranty has expired, ask about their "Goodwill Warranty". It won't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Will
Thanks man !! will do. (still going to another dealership... but I will ask THEM !!) J
Old 10-11-04, 12:36 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by chuckb
I've always wondered how long it took for those to go bad.
Sounds like something is definately worn. Did it gradually get worse or just all of a sudden start?
I would have another dealer look at it.Definately sounds like an expensive repair. Good luck.
Kinda "all of a sudden" but it does seems to be getting more irritating ! Another club member says there is a TSB on this problem... All I needed to hear! UNLESS.. someone has the list of TSBs for this year GS4... anybody? anybody? That will make it even easier..
Old 10-11-04, 12:57 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

here is something i found looking around. i know i read a while back that some one on this site replaced something similar on a GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...g+wheel+repair
Old 10-11-04, 01:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Since you are under warranty I'm sure a "good" lex dealer will fix it.
Old 10-11-04, 04:04 PM
F4Luder
Driver

what a coincidence !!!!!!! i have the exact same problem with my wheel too. Sooooo embarrasing!!!!!! Finally earlier today i took it to the dealership and its there right now getting the same problem fixed ...... i have the extended warranty so its covered under that. but they JUST called me to tell me that they would have to replace the motor and its costing around $1300. Let me know if i could be of any other help ......
Old 10-11-04, 04:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

F4-so your extended didn't cover that? I thought if you bought the ext warr it was the same as basic lex warr.

Last edited by chuckb; 10-11-04 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 04:41 PM
F4Luder
Driver

yup the sales rep called me and told me that it should be covered under warrranty earlier today. Good thing it was cuz i dont have almost $1500 to just spend on that .... lol
Old 10-11-04, 04:42 PM
F4Luder
Driver

Originally posted by chuckb
F4-so your extended didn't cover that? I thought if you bought the ext warr it was the same as basic lex warr.
and i think i really depends on what type of extended warranty you have and the policies of the company you go through
Old 10-11-04, 05:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by F4Luder
yup the sales rep called me and told me that it should be covered under warrranty earlier today. Good thing it was cuz i dont have almost $1500 to just spend on that .... lol
Oh-that's good. I thought you said they called and said you had to pay $1300 or whatever.

Did you buy your warr from Lex dealer? I'm considering getting the ext. warr before mine comes up in april. How much does warr. run?(If you don't mind)
Old 10-11-04, 05:28 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same problem and also took it to dealership

good that it's still under warranty and I have lexus extended warranty too.

The tech told me it's not TSB so for now, he can lubicate the parts. Well...if it keep coming, they will expect to see me there to fix this problem

it's quite embrassing with that noise.

I'm that motor costs $1500. this price almost pays off the extended warranty cost !!!

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE steering wheel "skreech"