GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just got the L-tuned GS430!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 09:08 PM
Shyne
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

here is something i would like to address: with my old tls, i had sport springs on it and had 19's w/35 series tires...the ride was rough and if you hit a bump, you always had a feeling you bent the rim...you see the ride is so damn awesome on the factory 18's and i dont have to worry about hitting anything pretty much with those...if i got 19's i would feel a little less safe but at least i have more tire for cushion as opposed to 20's...if I got 20's i would suspect the "lexus" ride would go away and change to roughness which is what im trying to avoid on this car...btw, i really dont want to hear scrubbing either...i really hate to compromise looks/but i do not want to sacrifice performance as well...do you all see my concerns??? Im ordering rims from vick @ discount tire in el monte tomorrow...some of you all may know him...he has always hooked me up...if someone can sway me either way, 19's or 20's i would be appreciative towards your help...Shyne
Old 10-12-04, 10:29 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Shyne
here is something i would like to address: with my old tls, i had sport springs on it and had 19's w/35 series tires...the ride was rough and if you hit a bump, you always had a feeling you bent the rim...you see the ride is so damn awesome on the factory 18's and i dont have to worry about hitting anything pretty much with those...if i got 19's i would feel a little less safe but at least i have more tire for cushion as opposed to 20's...if I got 20's i would suspect the "lexus" ride would go away and change to roughness which is what im trying to avoid on this car...btw, i really dont want to hear scrubbing either...i really hate to compromise looks/but i do not want to sacrifice performance as well...do you all see my concerns??? Im ordering rims from vick @ discount tire in el monte tomorrow...some of you all may know him...he has always hooked me up...if someone can sway me either way, 19's or 20's i would be appreciative towards your help...Shyne
I too have the L-Tuned Series II package and I can tell you from personal experience that the change up from your stock 18" OZ Salinas to 20" rims will not be a big difference in ride at all....the change if very subtle....L-Tuned shocks and springs help out big time there. oh...and welcome to the club.!
Old 10-12-04, 10:33 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i pretty much plan on staying with the l-tuned drop that came w/the car...its a very nice subtle drop...nothing extreme...from my past experiences, lower isn't always better because you run into camber problems and to fix that its expensive (labor, parts, etc.)...so i guess 20's are the unanimous decision???

im not so sure about this statement.... within the next couple of months check the wear on your tires....you might be suprised at what you see....it cambers...just not that much.....
Old 10-12-04, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, honestly shyne, i wouldn't put the tl-s together with the gs4 for comparison, it's just not going to work. i had the comptech springs ONLY on my tls with stock rims and i felt the harshness already

however, look at my car now. 20s, a lot of suspension mods, together with coilovers lowering my car to 1 finger and less. however the ride is still so damn awesome. so soft, comfortable. it's still a lot better than other cars in stock form. that's how incredible my ride is. a lot of my coworkers still wanna ride in my car coz' it's comfortable.

and about rims. it all depends on what you want. personally i would rather spend the money and get the best stuff -- works, iforged, hre, volks, ssr, bbs, etc...
Old 10-13-04, 05:15 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Congrats on your purchase!
I got set of 19s black spoke 3pcs forged rims shipped directly from Japan -- used only 6-8 months. In case you're interested, feel free to pm me
Here is the link
Old 10-13-04, 08:09 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey man
wow you got godo taste.. you picked some nice wheels.. ZAUBER gettins.. incredibly hard to get .. very nice wheels tho.. (Bluelex has them).. the hre (tturbopimp, rominl, socalgs4, to name a few have them), maya DTM (indio , aslsilverbullet, and a few toher have it , the maya DTS, (me and lexondubs have them, that i know of).. symbolic make s agod wheel.. (ted920 is sponsored by them so you can check out his lips).. iforged, (d2autosport is a dealer for them, he also has them teckniks on his car, aslo neon has a very nice set)..
the reason i listed names. is so you cn go to the gallery and do a search for those members..
all very nice wheels and the rearest i would have to say is the Gettins. since they are on a indefinate wait..

ne ways
congrat son the purcahse.. just know that this car will cost you a fortune in mods. .i have done alot fo cars and this was by far the most expensive to mod. but oh well.. its RARE to see modd lexus ere in FL.
Old 10-13-04, 08:10 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

ps.. i liek 20s.. i think it has good look and helps with cleaerance if you decideto go with a kit.
Old 10-13-04, 10:04 PM
Shyne
Driver

i spoke to vick the rim guy today and he told me a couple things that I didn't want to hear...he told me to stay away from zauber because they went bankrupt and he said i might be taking a risk because what if i bend one, i wont be able to replace it when they finally shut down...also, he said they are way over priced in relation to the quality of the rims...i love them, but I trust him since he hooks up so many cars as well as mine...also, i dont want to **** anyone off but he said iforged is not a good wheel either...he said stay away from them as well...his store is up the block from iforged in california and across the street from dazz motorsport...he apparently has seen and heard some bad stuff about them...im getting rims and they are not from my evoked set that I presented in my first post...these wheels are so bad ***, such quality and probably the finest craftsmanship wheels from Japan...you all will be definately impressed when you see them because no one has them...i really didn't want to buy rims someone else has and I think these will make jaws drop when they are seen...thank you for everyone's inputs...chrome 20's it is...Shyne

Last edited by Shyne; 10-13-04 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i agree on the zeuber, they filed for chapter 11, so don't get from them. they are not taking overseas orders at all i think. gs4will knows more about this. and they are way back order last time i heard. just not good to deal with.

and about quality of the zeuber, i beg to differ. among most of the jdm wheels, zeuber they are very strong stuff (talk to bluegs or so), they have the wheels and nothing but love for them. they are strong. and their price is way lower than some other jdm wheels you can ask for today. at least here in the lexus community, the zeuber is (was?) almost best value for quality jdm wheels

for iforged, yes they were bad (very bad indeed), but i have heard that they have improved a lot lately. i haven't gotten first hand experience with them, but since D2 is a vendor here, i know him and i know he will do his best. honestly, after all the previous history of iforged, personally i am still a bit skeptical about them, but i think it's worth a try with D2. if the GB he's doing this time also falls through coz' of any bad treatments from iforged, especially the delays, i think we don't need to give them any more chances
Old 10-13-04, 11:59 PM
LexFather

Shyne, you are now dealing with the best built cars.
Comptech....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=comptech

We know your excited dude, your best bet is just search the gallery, the threads as you will find out most all your info there. THen we can fine tune your questions.
Old 10-14-04, 11:53 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome to the I hate Acura Club

I did the same thing. Traded in my '02 Acura TL-S. Like you I was on my 4th Transmission and it too was starting to act up. I purchased a 01 430 w/Nav/ML. Black Cherry. I didn't want to change the suspension on it. And wanted to get my own wheels. But like you I am reminded what a POS my Acura was. I will never by another Honda product again in life. Now if I can only find those perfect 18" wheels. Have fun with your car.
Old 10-14-04, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Welcome to the I hate Acura Club

Originally posted by nate579
I did the same thing. Traded in my '02 Acura TL-S. Like you I was on my 4th Transmission and it too was starting to act up. I purchased a 01 430 w/Nav/ML. Black Cherry. I didn't want to change the suspension on it. And wanted to get my own wheels. But like you I am reminded what a POS my Acura was. I will never by another Honda product again in life. Now if I can only find those perfect 18" wheels. Have fun with your car.
man i wonder how many old tl-s owners we got here, we can have a little circle

but damn, 4th tranny? isn't that lemon?
Old 10-14-04, 04:30 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lemon? Yes and No. But they always replaced it free besides I was holding on to it until I can trade it in on the 430 I was looking for. But it was not pretty, I couldn't drive too far or I was afraid the TL transmission would drop in the middle of I-95.