GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:13 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have you guys tried hub-centric rings?

have you guys tried hub-centric rings? I believe one of the causes of vibration is due to the mounting of the wheels onto the hub. I have had vibration on and off with my car and could never really pin point the problem. When rotors were changed or tires rotated, the vibration came and went. Recently I put on 2nd gen LS brakes and had some caliper clearence issues. During my test drives I felt a ton of vibration right away. After some investigation, I could see that the wheel and rotors were not aligned. It was due to my calipers not clearing properly but that's a little off topic. The point is, when you mount the wheel onto your hub, the studs you be centered perfectly in the holes in your wheels. Before I got my rings, I carefully tried to put the wheels on pefectly centered...not that easy to do cuz you have to basically lift the weight of you wheel and try to put on lug nuts at the same time. Anyways, a lot of my vibration went away. In search of getting the wheels perfectly centered, I got some hub-centric rings from GS4Will for $60/set. Just put them on today and the ride got even smoother.
Old 10-19-04, 04:49 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have L-tuned 17's which don't need centering rings

I notice, the shake is gone when I drive her "normally", but if I get on her the slightest, she flutters like a butterfly
Old 10-19-04, 05:25 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
I have L-tuned 17's which don't need centering rings

I notice, the shake is gone when I drive her "normally", but if I get on her the slightest, she flutters like a butterfly

i exp the same thing from time to time .. these front ends are so supersensitive to road surface .. i still believe the weak link in the front is the lower control arm bushings that are moving well outside their designed range .. if the bushings are allowing the arm itself to oscilate even slightly it will resonate down the arm through balljoint , through the tierods through the rack and eventually through the steering wheel..

i have changed castor arms , road force balanced down to under 10lbs , perfect wheel alignment , i have a very tight underbody with all the extra bracing , tires running at 40-41lbs to keep it off the extreme outer edges and still as nt2shhby just described from time to time if i stand on her i will get that v ibration for a short period then smooth then vibration (although just slight)

i pray Daizen will hurry up with those lower control bushings for i really believe that will cure 99% of the problems not to mention make the car track truer and brake straighter
Old 10-19-04, 06:35 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexforlife
i exp the same thing from time to time .. these front ends are so supersensitive to road surface .. i still believe the weak link in the front is the lower control arm bushings that are moving well outside their designed range .. if the bushings are allowing the arm itself to oscilate even slightly it will resonate down the arm through balljoint , through the tierods through the rack and eventually through the steering wheel..

i have changed castor arms , road force balanced down to under 10lbs , perfect wheel alignment , i have a very tight underbody with all the extra bracing , tires running at 40-41lbs to keep it off the extreme outer edges and still as nt2shhby just described from time to time if i stand on her i will get that v ibration for a short period then smooth then vibration (although just slight)

i pray Daizen will hurry up with those lower control bushings for i really believe that will cure 99% of the problems not to mention make the car track truer and brake straighter
lex, so you think it's poor lexus design, or a broken part?
Old 10-19-04, 06:53 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

imo kinda alittle of both .. the bushing design dont last very long depending on hot and cold cycling and road condtions the rubber within gets stressed and allows the arm to start to ocilate.. my e32 and e34 bmw's had the same design problems with their thrust arm bushings

if you really study the dynamics of the gs susp thats the only deduction is it is bushing related for wheel bal would cause constant shimmy , wheel alignment would cause constant but most of us seems to be somewhat on and off
Old 10-19-04, 07:24 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

looks like I'm goin back to lexus for another free loaner
Old 10-19-04, 08:18 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
...I'm startin to wonder if I got epilepsy
LOL!!!