GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 04:27 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!

So I had the infamous GS shake (post suspension install) and was damned if I couldn't figure out what was causing it.

Had stock wheels balanced 2x, to find out they were ALL BENT!

Had the car aligned 4X, because the car's alignment just wasn't 100% each time (up until the last)

Bought brand new L-tuned 17's from Sewell and had them balanced, which made the shake A LOT less!

But the shake was still there, so I brought it into Lexus and voila, shake fixed. had NOTHING to do with the steering wheel pretensioner either.

This might sound strange, but the fix was new rotors. My stocks were glazed badly and as skeptical as I was at first with this resolution I gave them their shot and they were 1000% CORRECT.

new rotors remedied my problem and the car stops on a dime now.

True I got raped bigtime on the install ($600 for two fronts ) but I figured I had to give them the business since they kept my car for a week while I beat the **** out of the rental 04 RX that I was given (besides putting on almost 600 miles on the *****)

oh and btw, I also don't feel so bad because I got a nav update for free and I got another one due me when it comes out-if ever)

Just thought I'd share this info with you.
Old 10-14-04, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Way to go! I know what a relief that must feel like having gone through similar vibration headaches a while back. I had my stock rotors turned and it made a HUGE difference in braking smoothness and lessening vibration.
Old 10-14-04, 11:22 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was your vibration only when breaking?

I can't see how changing the rotors would affect shaking at freeway speeds (not using the breaks)
Old 10-14-04, 11:51 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by alexulan

I can't see how changing the rotors would affect shaking at freeway speeds (not using the breaks)
no, thats the STRANGEST part.

And yeah just like you I was telling the lady on the phone "But it doesn't shake when I brake, but when I drive between 40-80) She sweared to me that that was the problem.

Low and behold it WAS the problem, now not only does my car stop better but it doesn't shake at all.

I am a happy camper once again (even though it cost me $600 )
Old 10-14-04, 02:16 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So they replaced the bad ones with new factory rotors, or were they aftermarket?? Congrats on solving the problem!!
Old 10-14-04, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally posted by alexulan

I believe the rotor itself can become unbalanced enough to affect overall wheel balance and be felt through the steering wheel. The front end of the GS is very sensitive unfortunately.

Just so it's know though, our cars are not the only ones that suffer with balance challenges, the much vaunted last gen 5 series has had a lot of challenge with balance also.
Old 10-14-04, 11:12 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I believe the rotor itself can become unbalanced enough to affect overall wheel balance and be felt through the steering wheel. The front end of the GS is very sensitive unfortunately.

Just so it's know though, our cars are not the only ones that suffer with balance challenges, the much vaunted last gen 5 series has had a lot of challenge with balance also.
This is very true. When a rotor becomes unbalance, warped, or whatever the case may be, it causes the an uneven balance throughout the front.

I had the same problem, and i upgraded to Supra TT Brakes for 590 installed, and my problem was fixed also! Glad you got that taken care of!

John
Old 10-15-04, 03:34 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
So I had the infamous GS shake (post suspension install) and was damned if I couldn't figure out what was causing it.

Had stock wheels balanced 2x, to find out they were ALL BENT!

Had the car aligned 4X, because the car's alignment just wasn't 100% each time (up until the last)

Bought brand new L-tuned 17's from Sewell and had them balanced, which made the shake A LOT less!

But the shake was still there, so I brought it into Lexus and voila, shake fixed. had NOTHING to do with the steering wheel pretensioner either.

This might sound strange, but the fix was new rotors. My stocks were glazed badly and as skeptical as I was at first with this resolution I gave them their shot and they were 1000% CORRECT.

new rotors remedied my problem and the car stops on a dime now.

True I got raped bigtime on the install ($600 for two fronts ) but I figured I had to give them the business since they kept my car for a week while I beat the **** out of the rental 04 RX that I was given (besides putting on almost 600 miles on the *****)

oh and btw, I also don't feel so bad because I got a nav update for free and I got another one due me when it comes out-if ever)

Just thought I'd share this info with you.
is this really you? LOL

such a nice post

very informative i must try this as well

johnny
Old 10-15-04, 04:14 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by T.L.W.
is this really you? LOL

such a nice post

very informative i must try this as well

johnny
don't make me come find you and hurt you

Update: The infamous shake is STILL there (just not as bad)

but I think it's because of our wonderful wavy undulating NYC roads

I am hoping the TRD STB and lower front brace install tomorrow will help out some.

If not, I just might have to bring my GS out back and put it out of it's misery

Last edited by NT2SHBBY; 10-15-04 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 04:42 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Are the L-Tuned 17's staggered?
Old 10-15-04, 04:57 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CinFulxGS4
Are the L-Tuned 17's staggered?

unfortunately no...same as stocks 17x8 all around with 42mm offset (I think)
Old 10-15-04, 04:41 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh, you beat me to it, I was going to say "don't count your chickens before they're hatched!"

I've read at this forum about others who would make a change and 'think' it was fixed, only to have the problem show back up within a few days.

I'm looking to do my rotors soon as well. 100k mile mark is very near.

did you do that suspension stiffening bar from the lower A-arm area to the floorpan? Seems like it was only about 18" long, bushings at each end and mounted diagonally instead of, like, front to back.
Old 10-17-04, 04:58 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I have staggered 19's and noticed vibration at speeds higher than 80mph and when braking.

When braking, I let go of the steering wheel and the car stays perfectly straight but you can see the sterreing wheel vibrate an inch in either direction. When driving over 80mph there is slight vibration but nothing that anyone else notices.

Think the could be the rotors? I plan to upgrade to BRADI cross drilled and slotted rotors from iRotors.com soon.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-04, 12:14 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

I get the shakes also. Had new tires put on, re-aligned many a times at Lexus and still no cigar.

OE 16's on my GS400.
Old 10-18-04, 12:51 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by B_Cruz
I get the shakes also. Had new tires put on, re-aligned many a times at Lexus and still no cigar.

OE 16's on my GS400.
im startin to seriously wonder....

My boss's 03 745i with 18's does the same, and so did my loaner 04 RX330.....but my loaner 04 ES330 didn't.....

I'm startin to wonder if I got epilepsy

Quick Reply: Shaking/vibration Is Gone!!!!!!!!!