GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

head lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 11:39 PM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head lights

Hello guys
i was wondering if you guys know of any way i can clean the water stains inside my headlights? I guess its the condensation, but is there any way i can clean the inside of them? If so, please let me know! BTW: I'm lovin my GS4!!!
Old 10-17-04, 03:45 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'd have to remove them from the car (obviously) and take them apart, clean them out and reseal them with some high temp silicone and either a heat gun, strong hair dryer or oven at 200 degrees and watch them CAREFULLY

I made this mistake with clearing my Maxima headlights and one was still fogged up, but hey that's someone else's problem now as I traded it in on my GS4

Right now, I have the same problem-bought my GS4 with fogged up headlights-but luckily my dealer is making good on them, and charging me $200 for BRAND NEW boxed HID headlights LABOR INCLUDED!!
Old 10-17-04, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes the only way to clean it would be to take the headlights part to wipe them down, etc... and put it back. but then you need to make sure you seal it back well or you will get even more moisture later

do you still have warranty? if so i suggest you go talk to dealer about new headlights. there are not supposed to be moisture inside the headlights anyway
Old 10-17-04, 11:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
yes the only way to clean it would be to take the headlights part to wipe them down, etc... and put it back. but then you need to make sure you seal it back well or you will get even more moisture later

do you still have warranty? if so i suggest you go talk to dealer about new headlights. there are not supposed to be moisture inside the headlights anyway
I just tried to get my headlights warrantied and they wouldn't do it. I have just barely visible marks inside light that look like stains left from condensation. They told me Lex was cracking down on them and the light had to have water in it to warranty. They said Lex checks the lights after they take them out and if they are not holding water the dealer has to pay. They usually hook me up on warranty too, as a matter of fact they have new window seals (driver & passenger)on order for me right now due to minor wind noise.

Last edited by chuckb; 10-17-04 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-04, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by chuckb
I just tried to get my headlights warrantied and they wouldn't do it. I have just barely visible marks inside light that look like stains left from condensation. They told me Lex was cracking down on them and the light had to have water in it to warranty. They said Lex checks the lights after they take them out and if they are not holding water the dealer has to pay. They usually hook me up on warranty too, as a matter of fact they have new window seals (driver & passenger)on order for me right now due to minor wind noise.
haha time to just pour water inside the headlights? just kidding. but that sux. to me it's a little design flaw in the headlights, lexus should just step up a bit...
Old 10-17-04, 11:25 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
haha time to just pour water inside the headlights? just kidding. but that sux. to me it's a little design flaw in the headlights, lexus should just step up a bit...
when I was talking to the tech he also said,"Don't worry, you're still under warranty for a while"

I think maybe I shouldn't have tried for both headlights and window seals at once

I love warranty. It's addictive.

I always feel like I'm getting away with something everytime I get something warrantied and drive off in a loaner.
Old 10-17-04, 10:39 PM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I was talking to the tech he also said,"Don't worry, you're still under warranty for a while"

I think maybe I shouldn't have tried for both headlights and window seals at once

I love warranty. It's addictive.

I always feel like I'm getting away with something everytime I get something warrantied and drive off in a loaner.
Warranty is so expensive though. In my case, i have no warranty. They wouldnt even look at my headlights do you think?
Old 10-17-04, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by briancl83
Warranty is so expensive though. In my case, i have no warranty. They wouldnt even look at my headlights do you think?
man now that sux.... replacing those headlights aren't cheap at all.... maybe you can look into classified and see if anyone is selling
Old 10-18-04, 07:47 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like you are getting water in your headlight, right? Then pull the bulb out the back and spray water into the housing with a squirt gun. Turn the headlights on, it will fog up. Take to dealer and have replaced. Lexus is the one that cannot design a headlight assembly. Why should you the consumer have to tolerate this crap. The assembly gets moisture in it naturally so I do not see a problem helping it along.
Old 10-18-04, 08:34 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
It sounds like you are getting water in your headlight, right? Then pull the bulb out the back and spray water into the housing with a squirt gun. Turn the headlights on, it will fog up. Take to dealer and have replaced. Lexus is the one that cannot design a headlight assembly. Why should you the consumer have to tolerate this crap. The assembly gets moisture in it naturally so I do not see a problem helping it along.
But he is no longer under warranty. Unless he wants to go throught the trouble of taking it to the corporate level like a few others here, he would have to have one of those great, understanding, bend way backwards for customers dealers in order for a replacement to happen.
Old 10-18-04, 08:43 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are not under warranty, then do not do what I suggest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine got so bad everytime the weather changed temperatures the whole lens would fog up. By the time I got to the dealer it had dried. I was 2 days away from doing the squirt gun trick when it rained with a cold front, I imediately went to the dealer on Saturday and had a salesmen witness the condensate. By the time Monday came around they were dry, but the salesman verified and they were changed. I thought it was BS I had to run to the dealer on Saturday because they had to witness the complaint. They must think I collect headlight assemblies? why else would I want them replaced unless something was wrong? There is a TSB out on them, it is a known defect.
Old 10-18-04, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
If you are not under warranty, then do not do what I suggest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine got so bad everytime the weather changed temperatures the whole lens would fog up. By the time I got to the dealer it had dried. I was 2 days away from doing the squirt gun trick when it rained with a cold front, I imediately went to the dealer on Saturday and had a salesmen witness the condensate. By the time Monday came around they were dry, but the salesman verified and they were changed. I thought it was BS I had to run to the dealer on Saturday because they had to witness the complaint. They must think I collect headlight assemblies? why else would I want them replaced unless something was wrong? There is a TSB out on them, it is a known defect.
yeah i think this is a good thing to do, find someone at dealership to verify it for you. thes condensation sometimes they go away very fast, it's hard to catch the moment. but i agree, when it rains, it's the "best" time to fog up
Old 10-18-04, 03:13 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME I WASH MY CAR

This is a phenomenom I see everytime I wash my car. My last GS4 did not have this problem, and this one does.

I also found out that the CARFAX shows that the car was involved in an accident I did not know about. I also found some papers in the car that showed a repair done to the side of the car with water in the lens.

It appears that this car was bumped from the rear, and pushed into another car directly in front of it. So it was "sandwiched" between two cars, and still the carfax showed no major damage. I want to start someplace, and I think that Carfax is the place to begin.

Does anyone have any idea HOW expensive the entire light assembly costs? I have the HID's with motor assembly, so I assume it will not be cheap.
Old 10-18-04, 03:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

tech told me my HIDs are like $2500 EACH!! that's why corp lex is bustin their ***** on warranting them
Old 10-18-04, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

tech told me my HIDs are like $2500 EACH!! that's why corp lex is bustin their ***** on warranting them
yup, that's how expensive those headlights are