GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Toyota Japan Voice/Nac Microphone Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 02:55 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if the 2001 430 already has the voice recognition somebody please post instructions on how to make it work because i am clueless on where to begin...
Old 03-18-05, 05:37 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Please Post, My 2001 is itching to hear my manely yet soft spoken voice.
Old 03-18-05, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am not 100% about the gs, but i know it works for the is300. i have a feeling that for dvd nav it will work (is300 and gs 01+ share the same kind of system setup i believe). but i have no way of telling

the 98-00 though, i think it's going to be too tough
Old 03-19-05, 04:12 AM
Tranman

OMG. I know I had originally posted the microphone did NOT work with the GS. But I had just been browsing the IS300 forums on the microphone setup...and noticed that the kit is supposed to plug into the Navi ECU not the headunit. So I just went outside just now to check it out....and yes, the kit does fit into it. And most importantly, it works!!!!!

The only reason I did not think to plug into the navi ECU is because the wires were way too short. Plus, there was not much info about it in general, so I could not look it up..or maybe I wasn't rational enough to think about it.

Anyways, this kit is for those cars who's navi ECU's are in the glove compartment or front of the car. So I would fathom that any DVD based Lexus Navi would be able to use this kit. I'm glad I was too lazy to try to sell this kit...I know if I found this out later, I'd be kicking myself.

So in conclusion, the microphone kit DOES work with '01-'05 Navigation...you'll just need to extend the four wires of the harness from the rear to the front of the car as well as on the microphone and switch side..depending on where you place them.

Last edited by Tranman; 03-19-05 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-19-05, 08:55 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

SWEEET!!!! Just placed an order for one myselft. Thanks for your research. Show us some pics once you get it all mounted.
Old 03-19-05, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Tranman
OMG. I know I had originally posted the microphone did NOT work with the GS. But I had just been browsing the IS300 forums on the microphone setup...and noticed that the kit is supposed to plug into the Navi ECU not the headunit. So I just went outside just now to check it out....and yes, the kit does fit into it. And most importantly, it works!!!!!

The only reason I did not think to plug into the navi ECU is because the wires were way too short. Plus, there was not much info about it in general, so I could not look it up..or maybe I wasn't rational enough to think about it.

Anyways, this kit is for those cars who's navi ECU's are in the glove compartment or front of the car. So I would fathom that any DVD based Lexus Navi would be able to use this kit. I'm glad I was too lazy to try to sell this kit...I know if I found this out later, I'd be kicking myself.

So in conclusion, the microphone kit DOES work with '01-'05 Navigation...you'll just need to extend the four wires of the harness from the rear to the front of the car as well as on the microphone and switch side..depending on where you place them.
awesome, so it's confirmed that the kit will work on 01+ dvd base nav. now the 98-00....
Old 03-19-05, 10:38 AM
Tranman

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome, so it's confirmed that the kit will work on 01+ dvd base nav. now the 98-00....
Well..I looked at the picture of a '98-'00 Nav computer from BananaGS's site...there isn't an extra plug for anything. Hope he doesn't mind that I posted this picture..

So I guess it's not possible to do it on the harddrive based ones...
Old 03-19-05, 11:39 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So my question is, why the big secret from Lexus. And next and why it was not part of the Navigation System from the begining or at least a option. But yes I will be ordering mine too. Is there a need for upgraded software or firmware in the system?
Old 03-19-05, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by nate579
So my question is, why the big secret from Lexus. And next and why it was not part of the Navigation System from the begining or at least a option. But yes I will be ordering mine too. Is there a need for upgraded software or firmware in the system?
good question, i don't know what to guess, it's weird why they didnt' do that especially when the plugs are available already. and for some reason they had to to wait till the 4th gen nav, so weird...

and thanks for the pics tranman. maybe i should get a gs430
Old 03-28-05, 10:01 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Default Oh Yeah!!!

I just exteneded the wires tonight and ran them to the front of the car to test it out. It works great!!!
As of right now I have a coil of wire sitting in the back seat. I am trying to figure out a place to install the switch and the mic. I would like to put the mic next to the rearview mirror, but am a little scared running it by the curtain airbags. Any suggestions? Does anyone know where the rearview mirror power/ reading lights wires run, does that run up the front pillar? As for the switch I was thinking about putting it in the coin tray, but how do I get that thing out? Where does the LS have it? Any other ideas?
Has anyone installed this kit on their GS yet?
Old 03-29-05, 12:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IS0LD0UT
I just exteneded the wires tonight and ran them to the front of the car to test it out. It works great!!!
As of right now I have a coil of wire sitting in the back seat. I am trying to figure out a place to install the switch and the mic. I would like to put the mic next to the rearview mirror, but am a little scared running it by the curtain airbags. Any suggestions? Does anyone know where the rearview mirror power/ reading lights wires run, does that run up the front pillar? As for the switch I was thinking about putting it in the coin tray, but how do I get that thing out? Where does the LS have it? Any other ideas?
Has anyone installed this kit on their GS yet?
well i will answer some of the questions first
- for ls430 (and same with sc430 with voice at least), the voice button is a special button that's behind the volume button on the steering wheel.
- i think putting it side by side with the rear view mirror where it conencts to the window would be nice? can't think of another spot

now i got some questions
- so you have to extend the wire? why do you have to wire to the rear of the car? to connect to the nav unit? the "stock" wire isn't long enough?
Old 03-29-05, 07:50 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Yes, the mic/switch plug into the back of the nav unit in the trunk. The kits wires were only about 10 feet long, so I extended them another 20 feet just to be safe. Is the LS/SC volume control shaped like the GS's and have the same functionality except the additional button? If this was the case, maybe I could swap the units.
Old 03-29-05, 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IS0LD0UT
Yes, the mic/switch plug into the back of the nav unit in the trunk. The kits wires were only about 10 feet long, so I extended them another 20 feet just to be safe. Is the LS/SC volume control shaped like the GS's and have the same functionality except the additional button? If this was the case, maybe I could swap the units.
interesting, so people who did this for the is300 they have to extend the wires as well?

on the ls/sc (at least), the volume buttons are the same, but there is another button behind them for the bluetooh and the voice recognition. i have no idea if they are the same unit or not though