GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 09:44 AM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My new GS430 just turned over 1100 miles and I took it to a SuperLube and had the oil changed to Mobil1 synthetic 5W-30. I just took it to the dealership and they told me that I should have left the original oil in for the full 5,000 miles. I have always changed my oil this early in a new car thinking I would get any excess metal out of the system early. Since the break-in period is 1,000 miles, I am confused. Does anyone have any info on this? Have I really screwed up?
Old 04-26-01, 10:04 AM
mdgold
Driver School Candidate

I've had 4 lexi and about to get a new GS430-best to stick with Lexus for all future svc
Old 04-26-01, 10:47 AM
chowder
Driver

i think the way engines are made these days, there's not much to sweat. personally, i don't like switching over to synthetics too early, but it's more superstition than diligence. i can't see why the dealership would have a qualm with what you did; they probably just don't like the idea of any outsider messing with the car.

i give little weight to the notion that you have to use the dealer for everything. if you know what the service entails, and you convince yourself that there's nothing special about a given task, and you have a long relationship with a mechanic who knows how much you care about your car, then why trust some stranger at the dealer? i don't even let my dealer wash my car cause i think i can do a better job. exercise good judgement and you'll be fine. don't get paranoid; it's unhealthy.
Old 04-26-01, 04:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default synthetic oil not needed...

My father-in-law did all the primary research (and filed the patents) for Mobil-1, so I think his advice is good!

Anyway, he says synthetic oils are a waste of money for cars if you change the oil and filter frequently anyway.
Old 05-04-01, 06:38 AM
mdgold
Driver School Candidate

This is directly from LEXUS:

Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?
Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle.
If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.
Old 05-04-01, 07:25 AM
chowder
Driver

Originally posted by mdgold

Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.
anyone heard this before? not i.
Old 05-04-01, 08:26 AM
RichardSU1
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Change

Tiger430

I have a 2000 GS 300 and have been taking it to the dealship for the oil change @ 95.00 each time. I noticed you took it to a Superlube. How does that affect your warranty? I have some maintence experience and normally change the oil and brakes and other general itmes on my other car. If I can get around from paying the dealership $95, this would be great. Any advice!

Thanks,

richardsu1@yahoo.com
Old 05-04-01, 08:45 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

No need to go to the dealer for oil changes. Take it anywhere you want or do it yourself. Just keep the receipts to show the dealer when/if you need warranty work on the engine.
Old 05-04-01, 11:00 AM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by RichardSU1
Tiger430

I have a 2000 GS 300 and have been taking it to the dealship for the oil change @ 95.00 each time. I noticed you took it to a Superlube. How does that affect your warranty? I have some maintence experience and normally change the oil and brakes and other general itmes on my other car. If I can get around from paying the dealership $95, this would be great. Any advice!

Thanks,

richardsu1@yahoo.com
Sorry about the post with nothing written in it. My mistake. You absolutely do not have to take your car to the dealer for oil changes. This does not affect your warranty. At $95 for an oil change, I might be looking for another dealer, though. The dealership here charges $35 for this service with nonsynthetic oil. I typically change my oil in the 3 Lexus cars I have at the SuperLube and they keep my records on their computer. However, I have never been asked about this for any warranty problems, anyway. My typical bill at the dealership is about $20-$30 if I don't have the oil changed unless it is one of the big checkups (30k-60k, etc.), and then it is about $250. This is one of the reasons I switched from MB, because I never come out for less than $400-$500. Of course, the cars from Lexus are better, too.
Old 05-04-01, 11:09 AM
gs4power
Driver

Default Synthetic oil = petroleum based

Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

Every synthetic automotive engine oil is petroleum-based. The petroleum oil is chemically synthesized to better withstand high temperatures (resist burning) and for lower viscosity at freezing temperatures.

Old 05-04-01, 11:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Oil Switching

Chowder - Yep, I've heard of the policy of not switching back & forth. I recall that it's based on the fact that syns don't break down & leave the carbon deposits as readily as conventionals - it'll actually clean up your engine with regular use. I'd imagine that once it's cleaned up, U wouldn't want to start using an oil ( read: conventional ) that's more prone to breaking down & have to start all over again. The biggest difference in a syn's makeup is that all the oil molecules are equal in size as opposed to the irregular shaped molecules in a conventional oil. This helps ensure stable shear strength throughout it's entire viscosity range & thus it protects better at high temps & pumps easier at low ones.
Old 05-04-01, 12:03 PM
chowder
Driver

the only wives' tales i attend to with oil are: let the engine break in with conventional before you switch to synthetic, and don't switch from conventional to synthetic for an older car to avoid the possibility of creating leaks. switching back and forth mid-stream might be defeatist, but that quoted statement somehow implied "imprudent" to me, when it can't be.

i wanna know what lexus did to allow them to recommend oil changes at 5k-7.5K miles with conventional oil. when i switched over from conventional to synthetic, i did the change myself so i could see how the used oil was (not pretty at 5150mi). maybe it's all a figment of my imagination, but my GS felt smoother through shifts and acceleration almost immediately after she got some synthetic in her.
Old 05-04-01, 12:30 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Syn. does seem to smooth out the engine better... It could be mind tricks.... I agree with the masses, change the oil every 3000 miles and it will be fine....

What about oil filters..?

I've been using Frams filters.. versus the Lexus filter.

What are the pros or cons of not using a Lex filter if any??

I'ved used both Syn and conv. oil in my SC4... The past years it's been both syn. at Wal mart for $24.88... Conv. oil is $15.88(on sale $13.88...)

Just make sure they put ALL the screws back in the dust cover... Let them(service manager) know up front you will be checking... It is Wal-mart.... But it's a great pr$$$..... $95.00 for an oil change is crazy....

Last edited by The Ikon; 05-04-01 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-04-01, 12:35 PM
chowder
Driver

frams weren't received too well in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...highlight=fram
Old 05-04-01, 12:43 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default hmmmmmm

Thanks..... I should've searched the threads better.....

I'll search for a Mobil 1 oil filter..... or even a K&N oil filter now..

I've heard K&N makes a good filter...

Quick Reply: Oil??