GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Calipers / Heat Resistant Paint / Rusting Near Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-01, 10:24 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my gs4, the part that connects the wheel/tire to the car is rusted. And since I have 17" factory chromes, you can see it and it looks bad. It is not the disc that sits farther away, its a circular thing that connects to the wheel and its in the center of the whole wheel. I took it to a friend to take the rust off and he did but he also said it would come back again. He recommended me to paint those things with high heat paint and that way it will never rust. While I am at it, I wanted to go ahead and paint the calipers also since they look ugly. I am thinking about black paint so that the chrome wheel will show really well. But I can't find high heat paint anywhere.

Does anyone have this rusting problem behind their rims on the part of the car that connects to the wheel? What do you guys recommend I do with that problem? And where can I find black heat resistant paint?

thanks in advance
Old 04-28-01, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I think you mean the part basically around the hub in front of the disc brake and inside the wheel. That part of my car is not rusty.

As for high heat black paint - best place to get that is a barbeque grill store! I'm serious. Should be about $3 a can. If you spray it on you're going to need to masking tape a bunch of newspaper or cloths around to avoid overspray.

Old 04-28-01, 12:06 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some auto parts stores have high heat paint also. It's used for things like exhaust headers.
Old 04-28-01, 08:21 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 dollars a can from any kinda hardware store like home depo or eagel hardware or something of the sort you will need to paint them every 6-8 months if you live in an area where theres alot of rain if not then probably once a year you'll need about 2 spray cans personally I like red thats what I have on my car and they look great with the chrome wheels they also kinda give it that traditional sporty look very classic
Old 05-01-01, 11:59 AM
XbulldogOLD
Rookie

Exclamation same problem

I have the same exact problem with my car. However, aside from looking crappy, it will do no harm, it is just surface rust. What I have done is when cleaning my car take an anti-rust spray (sold in many auto parts stores) and spray the inside of the wheels AFTER I wash the whole car and let the car sit for 15-20 minutes. I have found that this will get rid of the rust until of course it gets wet again (rain, etc) and you have to repeat the whole process. Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-01, 01:38 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rusty Rotors

One of my old cars had 3 spoke rims (In 1995 when they were in style) and I used to paint my rotors about every 2 months. After that, I swore that I would never have rims that showed the rotor. This weekend I saw a BMW Z3 with the Lowenhart rims that you guys love so much. The first thing that I saw was the rusty rotors. It really took away from the look. Why don't they use polished rotors so that they won't rust?
Old 05-01-01, 01:58 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

hey kaygee, do you have a black gs with "kaygee" on the GA/Dekalb license plate?

If so, how did you get your quad pipes done?
Old 05-01-01, 03:26 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Rusty rotors are not a problem. It will come right off. The hub would require high heat paint like suggested above.
Old 05-02-01, 06:11 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Quad Pipes

Nanotech,

When I added the Win Racing replica rear bumper, my OEM muffler tips did not line up in the bumper's cutouts. I went to a custom exhaust shop and explained to the guy what I wanted. He created that look using Magnaflow mufflers (which I have since replaced) and some aftermarket tips. I really did not intend to replace my exhaust but the new bumper made it necessary. I had previously had the Borla SS Ovals for about 2 days before I had them removed. I personally do not like the resonance (sp?) that seems to be part of all aftermarket, free-flowing exhaust.
Old 05-02-01, 02:44 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

so I guess its not a good idea to add aftermarket exhaust tips to make it look like a quad-pipe system. Oh well, your GS still looks really cool because of those quads.
Old 05-02-01, 07:04 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

nanotech - If you want quad pipes you can order the TTE exhaust from CEC . They cost over 1000. dollars and you would have to cut your stock bumper to make them fit . But if you have the Win bumper then they would fit perfect .

I would have brought these but the part about cutting my bumper made me say no. Plus its just muffler only and not a cat-back exhaust .
Old 05-02-01, 08:02 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

But like all exhausts, this TTE one will make more noise than stock exhuast too right?

Or, since it doesn't have cat-back, maybe it won't make more noise than stock exhaust?

Old 05-03-01, 12:43 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Nanotech - Any muffler you put on a car will make it louder than stock.

There was a member on the old board that actually had them on his car. I wonder if he is still on the board? But he could tell you how loud it was.

I know that the TTE exhaust is made by Remus . Remus makes exhausts for bummer ' s so maybe they sound alike. So if you see a bummer with an exhaust thats what it might sound like .
Old 05-08-01, 10:04 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the borla exaust on my car and I love the sound its not loud its just a deeper rumbel and when your cruising at highway speeds you dont hear a thing it sounds like stock since the loudest point on that exaust is from 1600-2000 rpm and when your doing 60mph your at 2100rpm which has realy minimal noise especialy at 5th gear you only hear it when you want too thats what I think
Old 05-08-01, 11:28 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

Originally posted by nanotech
But like all exhausts, this TTE one will make more noise than stock exhuast too right?
My dealer showed me a GS3 they had in for service that had the TTE exchaust. He turned on the car and gave it some gas and I really liked the way it sounded! Though it's probably hard to tell when you're inside a garage.

He said that they've had problems with it with resonance that gets annoying when cruising about 110 km/h (70 mph?).

Quick Reply: Calipers / Heat Resistant Paint / Rusting Near Wheel