GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

considering buying a GS, but problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 03:43 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DXGS400
Yes, if you get the HID option on the GS300, the bulbs are D2R, so does the CL. I believe the older TL (1999-2001) has the D2S bulbs, and newer ones, with the clear lights, they use D2R as well. I used to have the CL-S, and I currently have the GS400, and let me tell you this, I wouldn't trade my GS400 for any Acuras, well, maybe the new NSX. My 1 year old CL had more rattles and noises than my 4 years old GS.

Good luck!
the 01 acura CL HID's will fit on the gs? does it have to be the GS hid housing, i got the non hid housing? cauz i got a pair from my late 01' CL.

Last edited by antbo; 11-01-04 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 04:03 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

there is NO car out there that is perfect, including the Lexus, MB, Bimmers, etc....

every single car will have issues, it's just about mitigating your damages.

The lexus is a fine piece of machinery with small quirks...

It's all about what makes YOU the driver happy, and being affordable

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-04, 11:00 PM
DXGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by antbo
the 01 acura CL HID's will fit on the gs? does it have to be the GS hid housing, i got the non hid housing? cauz i got a pair from my late 01' CL.
I see what you are trying to do. No, you can't use the OEM D2R HID bulbs for your non HID GS, instead, what you will need is the H7 ( I'm not sure, check your book, it should tell you what type of bulb you have for the low beam) HID conversion kit, which also uses D2R bulbs, but, they have the same base of your non HID bulbs, so, they will fit into your current housing.

I hope I am making sense here,

Good luck.
Old 11-01-04, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DXGS400
Yes, if you get the HID option on the GS300, the bulbs are D2R, so does the CL. I believe the older TL (1999-2001) has the D2S bulbs, and newer ones, with the clear lights, they use D2R as well. I used to have the CL-S, and I currently have the GS400, and let me tell you this, I wouldn't trade my GS400 for any Acuras, well, maybe the new NSX. My 1 year old CL had more rattles and noises than my 4 years old GS.

Good luck!
no, 99-03 they always have the d2r setup on the TL/TLS. 99-01 they had the blurr headlights but still it's d2r

and yes, same here. sad to say (i am also a moderator on acura board), but i probably won't get another acura right now, except the nsx
Old 11-01-04, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you can use the hid bulb from the CL on the GS with hid. if the GS doesn't have hid, meaning it only has halogen, you can't, it won't even fit, and you are missing ballasts, etc..
Old 11-02-04, 09:53 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

im not really familiar with the HID parts. all i know is that i have a bulb and that harness. so if i got the gs HID housing will the stuff i have work?
Old 11-02-04, 11:13 AM
DXGS400
Driver School Candidate

im not really familiar with the HID parts. all i know is that i have a bulb and that harness. so if i got the gs HID housing will the stuff i have work?
If you can get the HID housing, since the bulbs are the same, I guess you could set it up. However, you will have to rewire the power to the lights.
Old 11-02-04, 11:22 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

hmmm... you think its a lot of work to re-wire?
Old 11-02-04, 11:49 AM
racer_xxx
Rookie

You have to consider that the reason you see so many complaints about the squeaks and rattles in the GS forums is due to the overall sound level in the car. The car is so quiet that any little noise is noticeable!

I had to remove my house key from my key chain because I could hear it ticking against the steering column while I was driving!

Your best bet is to get a CPO GS that is still under the original factory warrantee, drive it for a few days, and then take it to the dealer and have them fix all of those irritating little noises. As long as you make them put your complaints in the service database while it is under the factory warrantee, they will have to fix it later (from one year of the original complaint) if the problem pops up again.

You can’t go wrong with the GS!

Good luck
Old 11-02-04, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hmmm... you think its a lot of work to re-wire?
well if you get hid housing and stuff, you can put it in the non-hid no problem, the wriing isn't bad. but you lose the autoleveling
Old 11-02-04, 02:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
I am the most **** car owner in the world. GS300 is perfect excpect for rattles and noises. If they do not bother you it is the perfect car, if they do they will drive you nuts!!! The whole Lexus line rattles the ls430, the rx 330, es 330 etc. I am sure to get flames with this post but it is a fact!!!
I doubt very much what you say is fact. I have read posts of yours and I am pretty sure a lot of what you say is highly exagerated. No disrespect intended at all. What I find very strange is how you complain about your car yet you still keep it. If my car was a tin can like you say yours is, I certainly would not keep it.
Peace!
Old 11-02-04, 03:37 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Re: considering buying a GS, but problems?

Originally posted by tpham7
Hi, currently I have an SC3 but I'm selling it this weekend and I'm considering buying a GS300.

What are some common problems besides rattling and road noises?

It's between a GS300 or 2001 Acura CL-S ( I'm aware of the transmison problem). Which car do you guys think I should get?
Hi tpham7. Not sure where in cali are you but I'm in socal. I have no creak or rattle whatsoever-lucky me . High temperature might be a factor like people in Texas and others. The ocassional noise is the area where the seatbelt and leather seat rubbed together, but not noticeable. Are you looking for a 2001 GS3?
Old 11-04-04, 05:01 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

how many mileage do you guys think the GS300 can take? I've found a 1999 GS300 with 100500 mileage w/ tune up just done selling for $14999 around my area. Do you guys think it is good? I was thinking of offering $14k. Thanks.
Old 11-04-04, 08:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by tpham7
how many mileage do you guys think the GS300 can take? I've found a 1999 GS300 with 100500 mileage w/ tune up just done selling for $14999 around my area. Do you guys think it is good? I was thinking of offering $14k. Thanks.
oh toyota engines are strong i am telling ya. 80k is like warm up. i don't think it has problem going to 160k easy
Old 11-05-04, 06:47 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hameed,
The noises are not highly exageratted and I have read more than one complaint about noises from other members. My expectations of a 43K car is different than a 12K car that does not have any rattles. I have fixed 3 different buzzing noises from the center console alone, is it normal for a Lexus customer to have to work on their own car when it is still covered by the factory warranty?. You need to be honest with yourself and listen to the car when you drive. I am positive you have the sunroof cover noise. I am positive you have some noises from your center console. I have heard tons of noises out of a RX330 I drove when it was a loaner. I have never critisized the power, shifting, ac, interior quality etc. I beleive that should give some merit in what I am critisizing. I realize the car has less wind noise than most, since I am on the original tires I have no tire noise (I have been in some with aftermarket tires that howl) but I can still hear some pops when the car is comming to temperature above the radio volume.
You ask why not sell it, now that I am accepting the fact that it is not the perfect car that Lexus preaches about and just a mode of transportation I enjoy the good things like the smooth shifting, cold ac (I live in Houston) engine smoothness etc. The memeber asked about problems and I am telling him. I know I was miserable with the car the first 6 months of ownership when I was riding upside down trying to find noises. I actually get more pleasure today since I eliminated them then if they would have never been there.

Quick Reply: considering buying a GS, but problems?