GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Very Strange tranny problem, PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 05:23 PM
lexusgs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Strange tranny problem, PLEASE HELP!!

Last night my buddies and I were messing around doing burn outs and stupid stuff. So stupid me decides to to put it in reverse and burn out while whipping the car around doing a 180. After I stopped I put it in drive to pull up to a spot to park, and when I put in reverse to back in, the car moved forward (in reverse) a little bit and just reved up to about 2500 rpm while just sitting there. I was like crap what did I just do. SO I put it into park and it jumped forward then locked into the park. SO I tried putting it in reverse again and the same thing happened. I then tried to put it in neutral and the car started driving forward??? So at this piont I knew I must of really screwed something up. I started thinking were I was going to get $6000 for a new tranny egads: . Every other gear D,M,3,2,L all worked fine. SO I cut off the car pulled the fuse to the ecu hoping the car would reset something to help the problem. But unfortunatly it didn't. SO at this point I just decided to go home. On my way home i stopped at a gas station to get gas and when I started the car up I reved the motor a little and heard a weird hissing then a thump noise. SO I put it in reverse to see if it worked and by god it did : . I was like oh my god its working. I then tried neutral and it was fine. I dont know what happend but everything was ok then and all today. So what I need to know is if this has ever happened to anyone, or heard of something like this happening? Also what do I need to do as far as do I need to take it to the dealer to get a diagnostic, change the tranny fluid, any suggestions would be helpful. The only thing I can think that maybee fixed the problem was that I dont know if the tranny ecu reset itself or something clicked back in the tranny. So lesson of the day dont do burn outs in reverse because I dont want this to happen to any one else.
Old 10-30-04, 05:45 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

No way man.... the worst thing I ever did to my tranny was lanually downshift it into 1st at 25? mph... it made a "bump" sound, (yer not supposed to do that) and evrything was ok afterwards. The transmission is by far the most complicated component in any car and should be treated very carefully, as its much more likely to fail than the engine is.

Suggest you check your motor/trans mount... and possibly change tranny fluid/flush every 15K miles.
Old 10-30-04, 06:16 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Very Strange tranny problem, PLEASE HELP!!

Originally posted by lexusgs4
[ So lesson of the day dont do burn outs in reverse because I dont want this to happen to any one else. [/B]

hmmm...burnouts in reverse...Good idea... I think I'll try...NOT!

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 10-30-04 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 06:19 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ur crazy to burn out in reverse man..
Old 10-30-04, 06:45 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default REVERSE BURNOUTS???

PLEASE don't do reverse burnouts. The reverse bands are not designed for that kind of torque.

I would suggest dropping the pan and checking for any sign of breakage..(clutch facings, steel or brass metal filings.

Change your fluid every 1000 miles at first for the next 2 or 3 times, and then do it every 15000 miles thereafter.

Good luck in the future, and treat that tranny with some respect from here on in.
Old 10-30-04, 11:23 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After I stopped I put it in drive to pull up to a spot to park, and when I put in reverse to back in, the car moved forward (in reverse) a little bit and just reved up to about 2500 rpm while just sitting there. I was like crap what did I just do. SO I put it into park and it jumped forward then locked into the park. SO I tried putting it in reverse again and the same thing happened. I then tried to put it in neutral and the car started driving forward???
So, now that you've had the "fatherly" talks from above and have been reprimanded, here's my thoughts:

Most of what you describe above sounds like lack of fluid to create the pressure necessary to go into reverse. The reverse whip kinda confirms this. As does the engine going to 2500 and not really moving. Another symptom of a lack of fluid.

When you were younger, did ya every have an older car that was low on fluid, or, was low and when it got bitter cold out the car didn't move much when you first fired it up and put it into gear? Lack of fluid flow.

I don't have any explanation for the noise you heard at the gas station though, sorry.
Old 10-31-04, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by BA_GS400
When you were younger...
And still old enough to drive??

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-31-04 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 07:03 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LACK OF FLUID FLOW?

Perhaps there WAS a lack of fluid flow, but what do you think caused this? You have to ask yourself...was it low of fluid, or was the fluid flow incorrect before the power burnouts? IS it possible that the reverse burnouts MAY have contributed to some of the problems experienced?

I feel "priviledged" giving out "fatherly advice" every now and then as an OLD guy. It couldn't hurt if it is taken in the spirit it was given. I have torn up my share of old cars "back in the day", but my GS400 is one car I will not do THAT kind of abuse to. I have gotten most of that kind of stuff out of my system. In the OLD days, one could find and install a replacement engine, transmission or differential for just a little cash, but the parts on a GS are EXPENSIVE, as you well know.

I submit that the transmission was probably working fine before the burnouts. Otherwise, if the transmission was low of fluid earlier, or not shifting properly, then the transmissions' performance would not have been normal at that time anyway. Why do burnouts on a transmission that is performing poorly?

Keep in touch and let us know how the transmission is working.

Last edited by gserep1; 10-31-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know what else to say except that it's something very stupid to do. doing burnouts on D is already stressful on the auto tranny. doing it in reverse and then swing the car 180 that's way worse... i just hope the tranny is still strong..