GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with new project

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04 | 07:20 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by reminder99

However on another unfortunate note, I had just returned from the place that lowered my car. Just installed Tein CS coilovers. Rides good, but I also noticed some very HARSH VIBRATIONS on the steering wheel when the speed hit 50~65MPH. I didn't go beyond that speed to see if the vibrations would go away. But is this something you guys have experienced? If so what was the remedy (if there is one). I can only think that it might be the balancing of the wheels, but that was done yesterday when they installed the wheels on the car.
60mph vibrations usually occur when the wheels are not balanced or not balanced properly or when you switched your suspension system you should always have a 4-wheel alignment. Riding as slammed and as aggressive as I am, I haven't yet felt any vibrations of any sort on the highway.
Old 11-10-04 | 07:32 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

D
i got 255 upfront and having no problems at all.. of cousre i had the fenders meesed with when i did the body kit.. but i dont ever rub
Old 11-10-04 | 08:08 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by 00lexondub
D
i got 255 upfront and having no problems at all.. of cousre i had the fenders meesed with when i did the body kit.. but i dont ever rub
Right, thats what I meant, by "custom work guys", also I dont belive you have your front down to less than 1finger gap yet correct? The 245 just seems to be a easier route on the 255. I have only seen a couple GS's slammed with 255 up front.
Old 11-10-04 | 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

OK, ummm......this was an issue that was heavily overlooked. But I just realized that the tires were 255/35 20's all the way around!! Even though it's staggered at x9 and x10s. So the rubbing issue could equate from the size of the tire.

I'm guessing the tire size has to be the culprit here. What do you guys with the same size wheels have for tire sizes?
ok now that really makes the problem worse. i only know a handful of people with 255 in the front. with your 9 i think 245 is still a better choice

most people they just have 245 in the front and 275/285 in the back
Old 11-10-04 | 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

BlueGS,

Thanks for your response. I will ask my wheel dealer to grab me the correct sizes. It seems like the majority agree on 245/35's for the front. The rears I'm wondering if I should l leave at 255/35. Or should I also move it up to 275? What is the difference if I do move up the size?

However on another unfortunate note, I had just returned from the place that lowered my car. Just installed Tein CS coilovers. Rides good, but I also noticed some very HARSH VIBRATIONS on the steering wheel when the speed hit 50~65MPH. I didn't go beyond that speed to see if the vibrations would go away. But is this something you guys have experienced? If so what was the remedy (if there is one). I can only think that it might be the balancing of the wheels, but that was done yesterday when they installed the wheels on the car.
the vibration, that's weird. you should probably try to get an alignement and see what's up. its weird that you are getting that kind of vibration. the shop is sure that all the bolts are tightened up correctly right?

and for me, besides the 245 in the front just to make it fit better and reduce as much rubbing as possible, i would go ahead and get the 275 for the back too. that's the real staggered setup
Old 11-10-04 | 10:45 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

I got the alignment and lowering done at Johnson's Alignment. For those of you who are located in the South Bay of Cali, you may know that they are one of the best around. However I will still take the car back tomorrow and let them check on it one more time. It certainly isn't normal.
Old 11-10-04 | 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

I got the alignment and lowering done at Johnson's Alignment. For those of you who are located in the South Bay of Cali, you may know that they are one of the best around. However I will still take the car back tomorrow and let them check on it one more time. It certainly isn't normal.
not sure, but i have never heard about them before. a lot of us go to custom alignment in mountain view, they are specialized in race car suspension tuning, and they know about lowered cars a lot
Old 11-30-04 | 09:29 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

The bolt-rubbing issue in front has to do with a combination of wheel offset and tire size. If it's a 20x9 with an offset higher than +38, it will likely rub with a 255/35-20 tire. Mine works with no bolt mods because I am using a 20x9 +35 with a 255/35-20- this puts the tire more outboard of the bolt. I specified the wheels this way because I was aware of this issue (it's my job!)

The bolt mod is no big deal- this is done on Mercedes cars frequently. The extra threads are there to make 'starting' the bolt easier during assembly of the ball joint/upright. This 'bolt' can be sanded or ground down flush with the top of the nut if necessary. Because the threads are exposed in this region, for all intents and purposes, there is no stress in this region.

Let them sand away- and the sooner the better- otherwise, you'll end up with a nasty groove in the tire.

The vibration issue has nothing to do with the suspension or alignment- 99% of the tire it is wheel/tire related.
The Lexus cars are very sensitive to wheel balance and wheel hubcentricity. I don't know much about the wheels you have, but more than likely they require a "hub-centric ring" to be properly centered on the hubs when the wheels are installed.

No amount of re-balancing in the world will rectify the vibration you are experiencing if the wheels are not centered on the car! Any tire dealer worth a bag of sand will know what these are, so ask them if your wheels require these and if they installed in your wheels- if not, they should install them.

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-30-04 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-30-04 | 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
The bolt-rubbing issue in front has to do with a combination of wheel offset and tire size. If it's a 20x9 with an offset higher than +38, it will likely rub with a 255/35-20 tire. Mine works with no bolt mods because I am using a 20x9 +35 with a 255/35-20- this puts the tire more outboard of the bolt. I specified the wheels this way because I was aware of this issue (it's my job!)

The bolt mod is no big deal- this is done on Mercedes cars frequently. The extra threads are there to make 'starting' the bolt easier during assembly of the ball joint/upright. This 'bolt' can be sanded or ground down flush with the top of the nut if necessary. Because the threads are exposed in this region, for all intents and purposes, there is no stress in this region.

Let them sand away- and the sooner the better- otherwise, you'll end up with a nasty groove in the tire.

The vibration issue has nothing to do with the suspension or alignment- 99% of the tire it is wheel/tire related.
The Lexus cars are very sensitive to wheel balance and wheel hubcentricity. I don't know much about the wheels you have, but more than likely they require a "hub-centric ring" to be properly centered on the hubs when the wheels are installed.

No amount of re-balancing in the world will rectify the vibration you are experiencing if the wheels are not centered on the car! Any tire dealer worth a bag of sand will know what these are, so ask them if your wheels require these and if they installed in your wheels- if not, they should install them.
interesting stuff there bob well i didn't hve vibration on my hre when i first got them, but lately i got a bit vibration. i know my front bushings are very worn. so we will see if that's the cause, hopefully soon
Old 12-01-04 | 03:09 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Well as it turns out, I got new hub rings and had the tires rebalanced at the same time. And with pride I can now say that I am officially rolling on smooth 20"s.

Now onto the next step....
Old 12-01-04 | 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Well as it turns out, I got new hub rings and had the tires rebalanced at the same time. And with pride I can now say that I am officially rolling on smooth 20"s.

Now onto the next step....
that's awesome glad to see that the vibration is gone now