GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Picked up the car today from SRT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 10:23 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll see. I see some CL members have been able to create some interesting sound proof boxes, minimizing the noise quite a bit. I'd try it.

Or else, the stock stuff goes back on and I'll do a minor intake mod. I like the new ECU calibrations though, car downshifts faster and quicker it seems. Maybe I can keep that. But that noisy intake is just too much.
Old 11-03-04, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by KevinGS
We'll see. I see some CL members have been able to create some interesting sound proof boxes, minimizing the noise quite a bit. I'd try it.

Or else, the stock stuff goes back on and I'll do a minor intake mod. I like the new ECU calibrations though, car downshifts faster and quicker it seems. Maybe I can keep that. But that noisy intake is just too much.
i bet the quick downshif tand the speed is mostly due to the tq converter though. that's what gives the most gain to our v8 engine. i have it, it doesn't add any noise, love it
Old 11-04-04, 07:39 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
i bet the quick downshif tand the speed is mostly due to the tq converter though. that's what gives the most gain to our v8 engine. i have it, it doesn't add any noise, love it
Oh OK, cool.

Well, I'm going to roar around town until Monday. By Monday, I'll be ready for my original quiet speed though.

That 20-30 hp gain is simply not worth that roar for my daily driver.

But I want to keep my SRT intake/ECU because it might be a good summer time mod. LOL

I already know of two people that want to buy it though so I may just dump it. I don't know. We'll see...
Old 11-04-04, 08:12 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Originally posted by Neo
Glad you are enjoying the changes, well most of them anyway. The Daizen sways setting has little to do with ride quality but more to do with controlling understeer/oversteer.

I can't remember. Are your 19s on already? Although you went with the fat setup, the lower profile (vs stock) will contribute quite a bit to the reduction in ride quality. Unless you stay with OEM, you will lose some of that ride softness.

Oh than that sux...maybe I have to rethink the 19" iForged i was gonna cop from Derrick because I find even my 17's are a bit rough on me around here in NYC....I can't wait to put on the 16" winter snows
Old 11-04-04, 08:22 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

NT2, I live in the DC area, and have been to NYC several times. I wouldn't even consider going above 18 in NYC because your roads are simply deplorable, man. 19 and 20s are just going to beat you up endlessly, and those poor rims are sure to find some major potholes and bumps which will just tear them up. It's a stretch to put 19s and 20s on where I live, really. In NYC, it would be just crazy.

You can dodge a lot of those potholes during the day. But at night or on a rainy day, you just can't see them. So, your car takes a serious beating.

Find some 18s you love, or better yet 17s, and enjoy your ride. I have stock 16s and man is the ride so cushy. I miss that. LOL Winter is coming so I will be putting my 16s on soon too, and I won't be complaining.

If you think you're friend's 17s are bad....
Old 11-04-04, 09:39 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kev,

i can almost guarantee that youll keep the intake on. i went through the same thing that you did. when my brother first heard it, he called my car an IROC-G but after the newness wears off, you will love the growl of the thing. one thing to consider, if you dont already have an aftermarket exhaust, you may wanna invest in that. its seems to compliment the sound of the intake and add a few?? ponies. let us know the outcome........

Doc
Old 11-04-04, 09:52 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by DrRick
kev,

i can almost guarantee that youll keep the intake on. i went through the same thing that you did. when my brother first heard it, he called my car an IROC-G but after the newness wears off, you will love the growl of the thing. one thing to consider, if you dont already have an aftermarket exhaust, you may wanna invest in that. its seems to compliment the sound of the intake and add a few?? ponies. let us know the outcome........

Doc
It's got 4 days to grow on me, Rick. If I could just minimize the sound during part throttle, I'd be OK. I don't mind the WOT roar so much, but when I am at 50-75% throttle, I don't want it to roar and moan during those times too. It's just too much for me.

But I'll drive it around all weekend and give the Intake a shot.

I think I may like it more during the summertime. During winter, with lots of darkness and lots of windows-up, sunroof closed time...I think I want quiet.
Old 11-04-04, 10:11 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put in a stereo with a couple subs and crank it up. You won't hear the intake at all!
Old 11-04-04, 11:03 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by KevinGS
NT2, I live in the DC area, and have been to NYC several times. I wouldn't even consider going above 18 in NYC because your roads are simply deplorable, man. 19 and 20s are just going to beat you up endlessly, and those poor rims are sure to find some major potholes and bumps which will just tear them up. It's a stretch to put 19s and 20s on where I live, really. In NYC, it would be just crazy.

You can dodge a lot of those potholes during the day. But at night or on a rainy day, you just can't see them. So, your car takes a serious beating.

Find some 18s you love, or better yet 17s, and enjoy your ride. I have stock 16s and man is the ride so cushy. I miss that. LOL Winter is coming so I will be putting my 16s on soon too, and I won't be complaining.

If you think you're friend's 17s are bad....

they are my 17's not my friends, and they are rough as ****.....you think 18's would be better?? (if i went that route I'd go 245/40/18 in front and 265/40/18 out back just for some extra cushion....

but like I said, the 17's are rough enough already-I don't wanna go worse....
Old 11-04-04, 12:31 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
they are my 17's not my friends, and they are rough as ****.....you think 18's would be better?? (if i went that route I'd go 245/40/18 in front and 265/40/18 out back just for some extra cushion....

but like I said, the 17's are rough enough already-I don't wanna go worse....
18s will be worse than 17s, but maybe your buddy's suspension and tires may be causing the rough ride. It may not be all a tire size issue. But, in general, the less sidewall, the less comfort.

My 19s with fat setup ride pretty decent for 19s...largely because I can now keep the PSI around 33-34 which also cushions the ride. Many people with 19s and 20s ride around with 40psi, some as high as 44. You hear every thing and feel everything with the PSI so high. For my daily driver, I just couldn't hack it.

I'm happy with my 19s fat setup, it's a fair tradeoff for some more comfort.
Old 11-04-04, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Oh than that sux...maybe I have to rethink the 19" iForged i was gonna cop from Derrick because I find even my 17's are a bit rough on me around here in NYC....I can't wait to put on the 16" winter snows
yeah to be honest if you think the ride of the 17s are already bad, you shouldn't touch 19s at all, it's just not going to be the same anymore. to me that's no problem, even with my 20s and tein cs i still think it's darn good.
Old 11-04-04, 01:16 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Originally posted by rominl
yeah to be honest if you think the ride of the 17s are already bad, you shouldn't touch 19s at all, it's just not going to be the same anymore. to me that's no problem, even with my 20s and tein cs i still think it's darn good.
yeah Henry...you forget a MAJOR point...

You=Cali=beautiful roads/women/weather all year round

Me=NYC=****ty roads/women/weather all year round

I'm guessin I'm gonna wait till I put the 16's on.....

or better yet....anyone know if 14's would fit???
Old 11-04-04, 08:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

I'm guessin I'm gonna wait till I put the 16's on.....

or better yet....anyone know if 14's would fit???
hahhaa, i think 16s are the smallest man, i saw a gs with 16s and man, it's like they trying to cram the rotor under it

anyway, yup, i have nver been to ny before but from what i have heard, it's really "scary" out there...
Old 11-04-04, 09:03 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

I don't know what *****ty women you see, but the ones up here in Westchester are hot =)

But yes the roads and the weather suck

BTW Kevin, what teins did you get?

J
Old 11-04-04, 09:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Originally posted by J_RoK
BTW Kevin, what teins did you get?
CS.

Quick Reply: Picked up the car today from SRT!