GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Picked up the car today from SRT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 04:02 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Picked up the car today from SRT!

Love the torque converter!

Love the lowered GS!

Love my Teins!

But, the HFI is wayyyyyyyyy too loud for me. Mo and I took a test drive and I thought I had stepped into a Dodge Hemi. LOL I said, "Mo, that's LOUD!" He smiled: "You don't like?" Ummm, no. I bought a Lexus, mainly because it was quiet and comfortable. The HFI alters the characteristics a little too much. I'm gonna give it a weekend or so, but even at part throttle, it's just too much noise for me. I want quiet speed, not all that racket.

He will probably be putting my stock intake back in on Monday.

And the Daizen's are on the middle setting. I will have him move it to the softest setting. The ride is a little rough even with the Tein's on the softest setting. Just a tad.

But so far so good.

It's all coming together nicely. But even mods need tweaking.

Last edited by KevinGS; 11-03-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 04:04 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnit I thought this was a F/I thread.....

congrats on your new mods anyways.
Old 11-03-04, 04:07 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we want PICS!!! hehehe ....yups I agree...its teins are the way!! since you got the torque converter...time to get the lsd! from what I heard...the combo is just crazy with GS4s
Old 11-03-04, 04:11 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Originally posted by KevinGS

And the Daizen's are on the middle setting. I will have him move it to the softest setting. The ride is a little rough even with the Tein's on the softest setting. Just a tad.
Glad you are enjoying the changes, well most of them anyway. The Daizen sways setting has little to do with ride quality but more to do with controlling understeer/oversteer.

I can't remember. Are your 19s on already? Although you went with the fat setup, the lower profile (vs stock) will contribute quite a bit to the reduction in ride quality. Unless you stay with OEM, you will lose some of that ride softness.

Last edited by Neo; 11-03-04 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 04:16 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Picked up the car today from SRT!

Originally posted by Neo
Glad you are enjoying the changes, well most of them anyway. The Daizen sways setting has little to do with ride quality but more to do with controlling understeer/oversteer.

I can't remember. Are your 19s on already? Although you went with the fat setup, the lower profile (vs stock) will contribute quite a bit to the reduction in ride quality. Unless you stay with OEM, you will lose some of that ride softness.
Oh OK, thanks Neo.

Fat setup with 19s are on already. I guess the added drop reduced the ride quality a bit. I'll hit some city streets (and some on ramps) this weekend to check it all out.
Old 11-03-04, 04:51 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We want pics!!!
Old 11-03-04, 04:55 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics????????????

i didnt know intake would increase noise that much...its not like you removed your cat...anybody wanna comment on the noise? is this common of intake mods?
Old 11-03-04, 05:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Congrats on the mods Kevin.

If you have EDFC you should be able to get a comfortable ride! I believe the Daizen sway settings affects understeer, not ride quality.

About the intake, I got the K&N FIPK II (intake kit) and it's quieter than the SRT one, although not really 'quiet'. If you want quiet just switch to a drop in K&N filter in the stock intake.
Old 11-03-04, 05:42 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by beauphus
pics????????????

i didnt know intake would increase noise that much...its not like you removed your cat...anybody wanna comment on the noise? is this common of intake mods?

if you want you car to be quiet....SRT intake is not the way to go....I personally love the sound but for some it will be too loud....let just say when you step on the gas...you can hear the intake before you hear your exhaust...
Old 11-03-04, 08:59 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont call it loud, i call it mean....i love the fact that my car sounds mean
Old 11-03-04, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on the new setup, i am glad that you are loving the mods (well most of them)

for the intake, that's the main reason (and probably the only reason) why i have so much stuff on the car but no intake. i have driven more than a few GS with intake, and the loudness is just too much for me. exhaust i can deal with, but the intake, man. specially the srt intake, it's very loud imho. the rmm is one of the queitest i have seen.

for the roughness, umm.... i am kinda in line with neo, i am not sure if the daizen sways should be the one to blame. you have 19s, although fat, it's still low profile. you have tein cs, yes it's soft, but still it's stiffer than stock, just that the rebounce is nice. the sways are just there to avoid roll, and with the softer design of the daizen it should have almost no effect on the ride already, unlike the trd blue that i had before

drive the car around, take some turns ,and enjoy
Old 11-03-04, 09:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally posted by beauphus

Yes, just do a search on intake noise in the GS forum and you'll find lots of threads discussing it SRT is definitely loud in a mean growl sort of way.

Kev, some of us who used the SRT intake put an insulated airbox on it (made by a forum member Kaju) ; I don't think he has any more of them left but it might be worth asking if this really bothers you. I sold mine with my intake (sorry).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=intake+noise
Old 11-03-04, 09:45 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Congrats on the mods Kevin.

If you have EDFC you should be able to get a comfortable ride! I believe the Daizen sway settings affects understeer, not ride quality.

About the intake, I got the K&N FIPK II (intake kit) and it's quieter than the SRT one, although not really 'quiet'. If you want quiet just switch to a drop in K&N filter in the stock intake.
Thanks Bit. I will mention this setup to Mo on Monday. I like the idea of stock quiet with a little added breathability. It's just too damn loud at part throttle at RPMs as low as 2500 with the SRT setup. It's just too much for me. It's just too overpowering.

But I will have fun the next few days with it...literally roaring pass people (is it loud outside the car too, I wonder...), but next week, I'm probably going back to the stock setup. K&N filter in stock intake sounds perfect for me.

Love that torque converter though... WHOA! pulls hard off the line now...

And I love the Tein's. Ride is very nice, the soft setting is quite soft. And the hard setting is actually not too hard, but hard enough to give you confidence when flying through an off- or on-ramp.

And the drop is quite nice (for me anyway), though I still don't like the fact that the Lexus front wheel well is cut larger than the rear, giving a slightly uneven dropped look. Damn it Lexus!
-------

I have some preliminary pictures downloaded from my digital camera onto my computer...but have no idea how to transfer those pix from my Kodak software into a format you guys can see (don't laugh, I'm new at this). HELP!!!! LOL

I guess the above attempt at posting the pic didn't work.

Last edited by KevinGS; 11-03-04 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 10:09 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Thanks, Rom and Dave. I PMed the guy with that really nice box setup. If I only heard the intake at WOT, I would keep it. Right now, as low as 2500 rpm, it starts to roar. Too much for me, and wayyyy too much for my girlfriend.

Mo better have some tricks up his sleeve, or else that mod is coming out. I am not driving a race car, I am driving a Lexus. LOL

At this point, Mo should have SOMEthing to cure all that noise since he's been doing this for so long. We'll see... I know I am not the only one who thought it was just too loud.
Old 11-03-04, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by KevinGS
Thanks, Rom and Dave. I PMed the guy with that really nice box setup. If I only heard the intake at WOT, I would keep it. Right now, as low as 2500 rpm, it starts to roar. Too much for me, and wayyyy too much for my girlfriend.

Mo better have some tricks up his sleeve, or else that mod is coming out. I am not driving a race car, I am driving a Lexus. LOL

At this point, Mo should have SOMEthing to cure all that noise since he's been doing this for so long. We'll see... I know I am not the only one who thought it was just too loud.
well you know i am with you kevin, it's loud hehe....

as for the airbox, it's mainly just to get some cooler air rather than hot air, personally i don't see how it's going to reduce the noise much though. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Picked up the car today from SRT!