GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Adaptive Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 10:28 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Does anyone know how to get rid of the adaptive driving the GS 400 uses? I hate it when my city driving (slow in traffic) affects my car's performance. I have to drive it hard for a bit before it starts responding the way I want it to.

Mene Gene; do you feel like your TC slips more after the car has been driven slow? Eventually it hooks back up, but the first couple times I step on it after city driving, it seems to slip to much.
Old 04-30-01, 10:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by David GS400
Does anyone know how to get rid of the adaptive driving the GS 400 uses? I hate it when my city driving (slow in traffic) affects my car's performance. I have to drive it hard for a bit before it starts responding the way I want it to.

Just to give you a speedy reply, here it is:

I'm not sure where it is but I've heard you unplug something then plug it back after 15 minutes it'll erase the adaptive driving memory. Then your car starts learning the shifting patterns all over.
Old 05-01-01, 02:13 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

What the heck is adaptive driving? Sounds like it could be holding back performance ....
Old 05-01-01, 02:16 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

yeah what is adaptive driving? can anyone provide detailed information about it?
Old 05-01-01, 02:33 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best Guess

Guys - My best description of adaptive learning/driving is that the ECU "learns" the most frequently used driving style by monitoring the engine diagnostics & operating parameters. Best GUESS is that's to improve gas mileage & emissions. My '87 'Vette had it back then & every time I did a mod, I was advised to disconnect the positive battery cable to "dump" the existing memory & the ECU would start learning as soon as i hooked things back up & drove hard. I can testify that this also works with the GS as when I'm gone for a week or 2 on business & my wife drives the GS, it seems sluggish & unresponsive. The easiest way I've found to "dump" the ECU is to remove the yellow fuse marked "ECU B" ( think it's a 20 amp ) in the underhood fuse box for at least 20 minutes. Keep in mind that this will also lose your seat memories so be sure & reprogram those when U get back in. It sure restores the hard launches & tire spinning capability for a week or so ( or until Granny drives it again! ).
Old 05-01-01, 03:04 PM
JacobT

Default Gene,

What I found out was when you feel your car's kind of sluggish, switch it to power mode and drive it for about a week then switch back to normal. This also restores the hard launch and wheel spinning. I tried the disconnecting battery way several times, usually it only lasted for about 2 weeks. Now I use this new method, I got hard launch all the time
Old 05-01-01, 03:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

yeah basically the adaptive driving learns how you drive. It'll adjust itself to how you drive.

Due to adaptive driving, my 1st gear in normal mode climbs to about 4000rpm under normal driving conditions.
Old 05-01-01, 06:36 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: Best Guess

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Guys - My best description of adaptive learning/driving is that the ECU "learns" the most frequently used driving style by monitoring the engine diagnostics & operating parameters. Best GUESS is that's to improve gas mileage & emissions. My '87 'Vette had it back then & every time I did a mod, I was advised to disconnect the positive battery cable to "dump" the existing memory & the ECU would start learning as soon as i hooked things back up & drove hard. I can testify that this also works with the GS as when I'm gone for a week or 2 on business & my wife drives the GS, it seems sluggish & unresponsive. The easiest way I've found to "dump" the ECU is to remove the yellow fuse marked "ECU B" ( think it's a 20 amp ) in the underhood fuse box for at least 20 minutes. Keep in mind that this will also lose your seat memories so be sure & reprogram those when U get back in. It sure restores the hard launches & tire spinning capability for a week or so ( or until Granny drives it again! ).
Gene, maybe you can post the info in the Q&A section. It seems we get this question once in a while.

Originally posted by JacobT
What I found out was when you feel your car's kind of sluggish, switch it to power mode and drive it for about a week then switch back to normal. This also restores the hard launch and wheel spinning. I tried the disconnecting battery way several times, usually it only lasted for about 2 weeks. Now I use this new method, I got hard launch all the time
Jacob, I drive my car in power mode all the time!