GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sport design rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 11:02 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
I don't like the stick on idea.
If this is the case, you will be disappointed in many aftermarket wings as they are mostly "stick on" as you say.
Old 11-10-04, 01:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

what kind of rework are we talking here? I'm starting to think about bailing on this one I don't like the stick on idea.
probably some sanding and filling to smooth out the service, and probably fit it on and more sanding to create a smooth bottom to apply the adhesive

and yup, just like neo said, if you don't like sticking, a lot of spoilers are out of the equation for ya
Old 11-10-04, 09:55 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The '03 SD spoiler is definitely not worth $1200, that's why I bought mine through Steve @ Carson Toyota when he luckily acquired 5 of them from Japan. The factory spoiler comes pre-painted in only three SD colors.

I can understand why they sell it for so much though...the '03 SD is just an 1,100 car production with only three available colors...they probably don't want to bother with creating a lot of extra parts for a limited production model. Hence the GS4x0 spoiler in on more then 50% of all the GS models built...so goes the lower price. Supply & Demand.

The SD spoiler is a little more contoured then the SpoilerDepot version, but you could have it fixed by a body shop...both spoilers are fiberglass. Install is the tough part...use double-sided 3M all-weather tape (you can buy it at Home Depot)..I would use two people to put it on...do it slowly...I had to re-do mine to get better fitment...it's not fun taking off that 3M tape...even with goof off it took about 3 hours +

Here are some pics:

This is what it looks like unpainted/unitstalled...
Old 11-10-04, 11:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason I see it coming loose/rattling around at 100+mph. Is this the case or is it solid?
Old 11-10-04, 11:38 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For some reason I see it coming loose/rattling around at 100+mph. Is this the case or is it solid?
The 3M tape is REALLY strong. You will have more trouble trying to take off the spoiler than you'd like.
Old 11-10-04, 12:33 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

If your garage blew up with the car inside, the spoiler would still be on it...it's that strong.
Old 11-10-04, 12:34 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

...also *cough* *cough* I have done over 100 and it is still very solid
Old 11-10-04, 01:16 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the SpoilerDepot SD spoiler and have had no problems with it and also bought it painted. i think it makes a big difference if your GS didn't come w/ a wing.
p.s. you can call the big pieces of fiberglass that rest atop of the trunk anything you want.
to me it's:
Wing= GS OEM
visor spoiler or lip spoiler = M5 type/SD type
spoiler = universal

what ever floats your boat

or heres some pics of the SD lip on the GS

but these are older pics now have 01 tails and 20" lowenhart BS-d's and 1.5" drop
Old 11-10-04, 01:28 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by KVA

This is what it looks like unpainted/uninstalled...

This is jsut how it looked when I bought it...so it has not been taped on yet.
Old 11-10-04, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by KVA

The '03 SD spoiler is definitely not worth $1200, that's why I bought mine through Steve @ Carson Toyota when he luckily acquired 5 of them from Japan. The factory spoiler comes pre-painted in only three SD colors.

I can understand why they sell it for so much though...the '03 SD is just an 1,100 car production with only three available colors...they probably don't want to bother with creating a lot of extra parts for a limited production model. Hence the GS4x0 spoiler in on more then 50% of all the GS models built...so goes the lower price. Supply & Demand.

The SD spoiler is a little more contoured then the SpoilerDepot version, but you could have it fixed by a body shop...both spoilers are fiberglass. Install is the tough part...use double-sided 3M all-weather tape (you can buy it at Home Depot)..I would use two people to put it on...do it slowly...I had to re-do mine to get better fitment...it's not fun taking off that 3M tape...even with goof off it took about 3 hours +

Here are some pics:

umm i didn't know that the sd spoiler is a tad different from the spoiler depot one. that's interesting observation
Old 11-10-04, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, as long as you prep the spoiler well, make it flat, and also remove all the wax on the area where the adhesive goes on, it's going to be strong enough

in fact you should worry about taking it off later
Old 11-11-04, 05:17 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

This was one of the first mods I did to the GS. The tape will hold well past 130MPH.....here is a shot of the SD spoiler from a different angle....

Old 03-19-05, 05:16 PM
norcon6
Driver School Candidate

Default Is Spoiler Depot Still the Source of Choice?

Looking to order a rear lip spoiler this week. Anyone order from spoilerdepot.com in recent months? Is the fitment of the SD lip spoiler any better, or does it still require a lot of rework?
Old 03-19-05, 08:12 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

these are pix from this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=spoiler+depot
looks like it fits fairly good to me... i was thinking aobut getthing this SD spoiler from spoilerdepot but cant do it untill i get my oem spoiler sold and holes filled in.

btw i even saw some on ebay going for 80bucks but im not sure about the fitment
Old 03-20-05, 07:10 AM
norcon6
Driver School Candidate

My concern was how much rework one would need to do to get the spoiler to fit like the one in the photo. Previously others had mentioned a considerable amount of sanding and shaping to get the proper fitment.

Quick Reply: Sport design rear spoiler