GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 09:43 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I went by the Lexus headquarters and saw the very same car sitting next to a silver one too. I've got to say one thing: it looks nothing like the Maxima. The silver car didn't look very good, but the red one was really nice and the red matched really well with the tailights. It looks big, sleek, and solid, but it looked a little narrow (maybe because it is longer. Our current GS is more square so it lookes somewhat wide). Previously I didn't like the headlights, but if you see it in person it has a lot of curves and contours that make it look nice.

The interior was nice, but I don't like the wood on the center console. What I mean by this is that the way they lined up the wood grain reminds of a zebra's stripes. I think it would have been better if the wood grain was running from the front to the back, not left to right.

One thing I didn't like was the HUGE badge on the grill. Also I noticed the third brakelight inside the rear window is suspended 2-3 inches above the rear deck, makeing it look kinda funky. It would look nicer if it was flush (like our current cars).

The new GS has grown on me and pictures don't do it justice, but it didn't make me say "I've gotta have it!". Maybe when Lexus puts a 400+ hp engine in it I might change my mind

Last edited by LB Lex; 11-11-04 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 02:15 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

Looks like an Accord in that picture. Zero presence.

Robert
Old 11-12-04, 04:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
exactly my feeling too. when i first saw the GS back in 97 i was like wtf?! what the hell is this, 4 round lights in the front and 4 more in the back?

well, fast foward to 2001 i was in love with the car after i got mine

and right now, the new gs still doesn't do much to me exterior wise. interior i think it's a winner but exterior i might have a better idea when i see the real thing
That's very strange how you did not like the 2nd generation when it first came out..........................

For me it was the exact oppossite! I absolutley fell in love when I saw it first in the Car and Driver magazine! It looked so unique and classy with beautiful lines. The 3 rd gen on the other hand does not have such beautiful lines...........
Old 11-12-04, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
That's very strange how you did not like the 2nd generation when it first came out..........................

For me it was the exact oppossite! I absolutley fell in love when I saw it first in the Car and Driver magazine! It looked so unique and classy with beautiful lines. The 3 rd gen on the other hand does not have such beautiful lines...........
hahhaa dunno, guess i am too conservative for most stuff
Old 11-12-04, 03:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Hameed. I loved the 2nd gen when it came out. We bought our 98 in Jan 98. The 3rd gen does not give me that same excitement.
Old 11-12-04, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

You are so right. As soon as I saw the silver GS400 and read the review I said "that's it, that's my next car. Finally a Lexus with style and attitude!"
Old 11-12-04, 06:52 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

To all you guys that dislike the new GS. I think you shouldnt hate the car until you see it on the road or at least in real life. Most cars look real different in real life than in pictures. Just give this car a chance and lets see what it can do.
Old 11-12-04, 07:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by lexusls430
To all you guys that dislike the new GS. I think you shouldnt hate the car until you see it on the road or at least in real life. Most cars look real different in real life than in pictures. Just give this car a chance and lets see what it can do.
I don't exactly dislike the 3rd gen. I think it looks OK but nothing exciting. I have not said much since there is not much to be said from my point of view. I like it enough to consider it when the hybrid version comes out. I will look at the market at that point and see who the competitors are.

As for the "wait until you see it in person" excuse, I don't buy it. I fell in love with the 2nd gen when I saw it in print, on TV, and then in real life. This car may be nice in real life but if it is not good enough to look good in print, it is not. I think it will be a great car. It will drive fine and the build quality will be top notch. It is a Lexus after all.

Still, it just does not feel right to have to put a disclaimer every time the new GS is mentioned, meaning " I bought the new GS. I know if does not look that great in pics but wait until you see it in person." I just want to say,"I bought a new GS. Damn it is nice." Period.
Old 11-12-04, 07:25 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I'm really trying to like it but I've seen the pictures and saw it in person at the auto show and it really doesn't do much for me. This is very unlike the first look of the current gen GS. It could still surprise me driving down the road but I really doubt it. I agree with Bit that the wood, aluminum trim and interior leather just look cheap compared to the current GS and LS. Is the car nice? Yes. Does it inspire an "Oh WOW" response in me? Nope.

There is some hope for it though. Some of the photochops look, to me, very aggressive. But you still have to live with the interior. *shrug*

FWIW: My father-in-law's reaction on seeing my GS for the first time as I pulled in his driveway.... "WOW! What a beautiful car." Don't think the next one will inspire quite that reaction.

My $0.02
Old 11-12-04, 07:45 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me where the headquaters is. Is it the Lexus Building off the 5 freeway by the Spectrum or is it down near Gardena where Toyota is or somewhere else? I want to check this car out in person. Thankls.

Last edited by mcgong; 11-12-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 07:59 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
I don't exactly dislike the 3rd gen. I think it looks OK but nothing exciting. I have not said much since there is not much to be said from my point of view. I like it enough to consider it when the hybrid version comes out. I will look at the market at that point and see who the competitors are.

As for the "wait until you see it in person" excuse, I don't buy it. I fell in love with the 2nd gen when I saw it in print, on TV, and then in real life. This car may be nice in real life but if it is not good enough to look good in print, it is not. I think it will be a great car. It will drive fine and the build quality will be top notch. It is a Lexus after all.

Still, it just does not feel right to have to put a disclaimer every time the new GS is mentioned, meaning " I bought the new GS. I know if does not look that great in pics but wait until you see it in person." I just want to say,"I bought a new GS. Damn it is nice." Period.
Anyone who doesnt think the 2nd gen isnt a nice looking car probably has some problems. It is beautiful as a matter of fact. But i think we should just give this new design direction for lexus a chance. When i first saw the new gs, i wasnt like wow!! but after glancing at it time after time i really started to like it. It looked like no current car on the market, as when the 98 gs came out. So i think it is about time lexus changes its direction in styling and im gonna give it a chance to prove what kind of guts it has.
Old 11-12-04, 08:09 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcgong
Can someone tell me where the headquaters is. Is it the Lexus Building off the 5 freeway by the Spectrum or is it down near Gardena where Toyota is or somewhere else? I want to check this car out in person. Thankls.
When your there PLEASE take some more pics of it and the interior. Different angles than the ones we have seen already.
Old 11-12-04, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i don't thinkanyone is putting the new GS on death row, it's just that the car hasn't really done much to me

for sure when the car comes out, i will be doing a very nice test drive of the car
Old 11-18-04, 07:26 AM
MMM
Rookie

Default 2006 Lexus GS Sighting

Lexus headquarters today (11/18) has the new GS outside in their parking lot. I saw it this morning.

If you happen to be in the area, check it out! Lexus HQ is on the corner of 190th Street and Gramercy Place in Torrance, CA.

MMM
Old 11-18-04, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: 2006 Lexus GS Sighting

Originally posted by MMM
Lexus headquarters today (11/18) has the new GS outside in their parking lot. I saw it this morning.

If you happen to be in the area, check it out! Lexus HQ is on the corner of 190th Street and Gramercy Place in Torrance, CA.

MMM
somehow i think lexus is making a pretty different statement with the new GS. they are not trying to hide at all, it's like yup, this is what we got. come and take a look yourself months ahead

Quick Reply: I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)