GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 08:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: Re: I'm a little late..but here's a picture.

I like the color!
Old 11-11-04, 09:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work man!!!!
Old 11-11-04, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Default Re: amazed

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
What WOULD please all these people throwing negative comments about the car. i know its a opinion, but jeeze. even 1998-2004 stock gs's don't give me much excitement, everything looks the same these days, but what seperates the real from the fake is that other cars are junk in some aspects.
OK, here's a few complaints about the new one.

From many angles the new GS side profile just looks like one big arc from butt to nose. It's just too bland.

To me the hood looks longer than the current car (may be an illusion).

The interior to me looks CHEAP. The wood looks cheap, the aluminum piece in the middle looks cheap, the leather looks cheap.

The current GS has sweet creases above the wheel openings. The new one has a funky fold on top of the fender going down to the front light.

Attached Thumbnails I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)-auto_zone_meet_1109_004-2.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-11-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 12:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by speedie
Whew!!! If thats not mean..I don't know what is.
You don't know what is
Old 11-11-04, 12:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: amazed

What WOULD please all these people throwing negative comments about the car. i know its a opinion, but jeeze. even 1998-2004 stock gs's don't give me much excitement, everything looks the same these days, but what seperates the real from the fake is that other cars are junk in some aspects.
A stock 98-04 still looks better AND STANDS OUT MORE than this bland,blah, blah,blah excuse for a Lexus.
Old 11-11-04, 12:19 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ok

those are valid points you feel on the car should be different, but if these were no changed it would be labeled old and dated, the crease on the fender looks to flow well with the headlights, and the interior should not be judged until it can be sat in. Hey just trying to figure out what people like. lol
and put new stock pictures up with a 1998 stock gs and well i think the 98 looks a lil old n dated simply due to changes in time and design and what the market is flooded with. I love my car, and just wish the new one would be given some liencency til judgement day
Old 11-11-04, 12:23 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I call mean. And IMO it will never look dated
Attached Thumbnails I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)-schrift_on_aristo550-413.jpg  
Old 11-11-04, 12:26 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: ok

those are valid points you feel on the car should be different, but if these were no changed it would be labeled old and dated, the crease on the fender looks to flow well with the headlights, and the interior should not be judged until it can be sat in. Hey just trying to figure out what people like. lol
and put new stock pictures up with a 1998 stock gs and well i think the 98 looks a lil old n dated simply due to changes in time and design and what the market is flooded with. I love my car, and just wish the new one would be given some liencency til judgement day
In BitKahuna's defense the points he mentioned would be the same if he had posted up a pic of a stock GS - note he was talking about the profile, the cheap looking interior, the fenders etc.
Old 11-11-04, 03:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Default Re: ok

I accept that the current GS in stock form is beginning to look dated. It happens to all car models really. That doesn't mean that newer ones are necessarily better looking or even better at all. Example, Acura Legend replaced by the LAME (first gen) Acura RL.

I also think lights and wheels style of LS400 around 94 was better looking than the later 99 one:

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-11-04 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 03:20 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Some stock Japanes car does not look outstanding.. Imo, the new GS does not really hit me, but I don't wanna judge too early..
I think once it's lowered, it would be much much better. I believe someone here has tried to ps the new GS with Veilside kit and lowered, and it looks mean!
Old 11-11-04, 03:50 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at this time, I still like the current version better. However, I do remember when my GS came out in 97' (the time I purchased my SC) I really don't like the way it looks, especially the short trunk lid. The next thing you know, the car begins to grow on me and here I am with the 01' GS. Maybe it will take me a couple years to begin appreciating the new generation.
Old 11-11-04, 03:55 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default My issue

Looks are soooo subjective....

My biggest stumbling block is that I can't imagine selling my car (almost paid off) to pony up another $45K so I can have the SAME horsepower! But, hey - it LOOKS better right?! (and, I'm not sure you can make a case for that, either. )

45K buys me a used M5 or an almost newly minted Jag S-type R. Oh hell, hang on, if I wait 'till spring I can get a Chrysler SRT-8 with 430hp. True it's not a Lexus but it does have a bold look and improved (much) performance to boot.

I'm not feeling the value in the new GS.

Remember, the GS (unless you count the Caddy STS) really kicked off this whole Hp craze. Back in '98 this thing smoked just about everything under the sun. Man, that's why I bought it! If I had wanted ho-hum performance I would have bought a used LS400.

I don't know, maybe I'm not "the" type of customer Lexus is trying to court - but what I do know, is that the GS400 was my type of car.

Eric
Old 11-11-04, 06:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
at this time, I still like the current version better. However, I do remember when my GS came out in 97' (the time I purchased my SC) I really don't like the way it looks, especially the short trunk lid. The next thing you know, the car begins to grow on me and here I am with the 01' GS. Maybe it will take me a couple years to begin appreciating the new generation.
exactly my feeling too. when i first saw the GS back in 97 i was like wtf?! what the hell is this, 4 round lights in the front and 4 more in the back?

well, fast foward to 2001 i was in love with the car after i got mine

and right now, the new gs still doesn't do much to me exterior wise. interior i think it's a winner but exterior i might have a better idea when i see the real thing
Old 11-11-04, 08:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

werd!
Old 11-11-04, 09:06 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm sorry but the more i see it the more i hate the rear of this car, it looks like one of those girls who a$$ is too big for her body i love a big booty but this one is a little tooo big for me

Last edited by bluelex; 11-11-04 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm a little late..but here's a picture. (mreged new GS sighting threads)