GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear ended someone in my GS430...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 06:56 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear ended someone in my GS430...

Not as bad as it sounds (or as it might have been), but I did rear end a lady in a Toyota minivan this morning in my GS430. Typical scenario where I was behind her in a merge lane, she started to go, I verified that I was clear to follow, started forward, and then she slammed on her brakes. I braked as well but still ended up hitting her van around 5-10mph. Neither of us was hurt and her van only took minor cosmetic damage to her rear bumper. No airbags had to be deployed or anything. Actually quite minor.

Because I was braking my car was in a nose dive so it crunched under her rear bumper. The hood is folded back, the headlights and housing are crunched, and the front bumper is scratched, but nothing mechanical is hurt. The radiator is a little bent but everything behind that is perfectly intact. I actually drove the car out of the way and the tow truck driver drove the car onto his flatbed. Everything felt and sounded fine.

One scary thing...another guy came screaming around the corner trying to make the light before I had a chance to move my car and the slammed on his brakes when he saw our cars, stopping about three feet short of the back of my car! I was watching in shock as it was happening, thinking, "Oh crap...it's gonna get so much worse!" He waved his arms at us as if he was pissed until he realized we weren't just sitting around shooting the breeze and then gave a sheepish, "I'm sorry" look.

I had the car towed to Autocraft Body Works, a body shop here in Austin that specializes in Lexus collision repair. I expect I'll get it back in a couple of weeks, hopefully good as new.

This actually isn't a terrible thing because I was 1) planning to have my hood resprayed because of rock chips, 2) planning to have my headlights disassembled and cleaned out because of condensation, and 3) planning to have my front bumper replaced or touched up because of...er...curb interactions. They'll replace all of that as part of the repair work.

So while it wasn't an ideal morning, it could've been so much worse. First real accident I've had in sixteen years. Anyway, I'll let you guys know when I get it back...I can't wait!
Old 11-11-04, 07:26 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear that man but look on the bright side... off the top of my head time to get u a carbon fiber hood, do a project headlight mod.

Last edited by joshoowa; 11-11-04 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Ouch - so sorry to hear that. Hope you're able to turn lemons into lemonade - you have a great attitude.
Old 11-11-04, 08:07 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to hear everyone is ok

Old 11-11-04, 08:12 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sux sorry bro
Old 11-11-04, 08:17 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Default Re: Rear ended someone in my GS430...

Man I feel your pain, I did the same thing last week and from the sounds of it I suffered pretty much the same damage. It's just the waiting for my car to be repaired that's beginning to kill me. Not to mention the torture of having to go from driving my SC'd GS4 to driving a Nissan Sentra rental!! When will the nightmare end!! I guess I'll just appreciate my ride that much more once I get it back...Especially if everything goes according to plans!!!
Old 11-11-04, 09:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Best of luck to both of you with speedy repairs.
Old 11-12-04, 12:03 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

I totally sympathise with you 'bro.

Some stupid ***** BRAKED in the middle of a very tight 90 degree corner, the corner length is around 3 car lengths. She had her indicator on to turn right, she turned right and got to 45 degree then braked to a halt! I had to slam the anchors (luckily car behind me didn't hit me), she then pointed to somewhere she was looking at to her friend in the car then drove on.

3 miles later I'm still behind this *****, she pulls up to a junction, there is NO TRAFFIC for miles, she indicates right, I follow, then she slams the brakes! Yes, no cars anywhere, slams them AGAIN turning out of a junction with her car half way round the corner. My brakes locked this time, but no damage. She then wonders why I'm tailgating her 1 inch off her bumper for the next few minutes.

Stop talking to your f****ing friend about sanitary towel choice or whatever and concentrate on your driving!!!!
Old 11-12-04, 12:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate. hope you can get everything settled and fixed soon
Old 11-12-04, 11:09 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear nobody was hurt and there is relatively little damage!

Get the GS fixed-up, and consider a big brake kit! A BBK may not have saved you on this one, but my StopTech kit has already saved my @ss from rear-ending a dump truck that cut me off on the freeway- I was going 70, he was going 40- not sure why he needed to be in the #2 lane at that instant, but this is where a big brake kit really shines!
Old 11-12-04, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Glad to hear nobody was hurt and there is relatively little damage!

Get the GS fixed-up, and consider a big brake kit! A BBK may not have saved you on this one, but my StopTech kit has already saved my @ss from rear-ending a dump truck that cut me off on the freeway- I was going 70, he was going 40- not sure why he needed to be in the #2 lane at that instant, but this is where a big brake kit really shines!
same here bob. the ap racing on my gs4 saved my **** yesterday when i got on the freeway on ramp and suddenly all cars in the front went to dead stop. ended up another car in the front skid and rear ended another car.

but seriously, i wasn't too concerned about me with the car in the front, my ap racing is more than capable. i was more worried about the car behind me hitting me....

Last edited by rominl; 11-12-04 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 06:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally posted by yoshi
I totally sympathise with you 'bro.

Some stupid ***** BRAKED in the middle of a very tight 90 degree corner, the corner length is around 3 car lengths. She had her indicator on to turn right, she turned right and got to 45 degree then braked to a halt! I had to slam the anchors (luckily car behind me didn't hit me), she then pointed to somewhere she was looking at to her friend in the car then drove on.

3 miles later I'm still behind this *****, she pulls up to a junction, there is NO TRAFFIC for miles, she indicates right, I follow, then she slams the brakes! Yes, no cars anywhere, slams them AGAIN turning out of a junction with her car half way round the corner. My brakes locked this time, but no damage. She then wonders why I'm tailgating her 1 inch off her bumper for the next few minutes.

Stop talking to your f****ing friend about sanitary towel choice or whatever and concentrate on your driving!!!!
Dude, tailgating her 1 inch isn't the right answer if she randomly slams on her brakes. I'd put on the high beams and lay on the horn but stay back.