GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! Rod Millen Sway Bars Squeaking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-01, 08:59 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my Rod Millen Sway bars (intrax) not too long ago and after a while they started squeaking when i went over bumps or accelerated... I tried bringing it to the dealer and had them relubricated 3 times already but the sound keeps on coming back.. I remember that someone posted a solution to this by replacing the bushings, what size do i need and where can i get them from? This is for a GS400 btw..

-Chris Y.
Old 05-01-01, 10:54 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

ahh I just placed an Order for the Front Strut bar from Rod millens,,,,, I hope I can find more info about what you just talked about. Grrr I would be very disapointed if they start making weird noises over bumps and Acceleration
Old 05-02-01, 12:19 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

BBD - You don't have to worry . A strut bar is different from a sway bar . A strut bar goes on top of the engine and sway bars goes on the front and rear bottom of the car.

I also have the RMM strut bar and love it .

CJGS4 - I wish i could help you . I remember something about switching the rear bushing switched from right to left to make it fit right . My memory is kinda fuzzy right now so sorry i couldn't really help you.
Old 05-02-01, 12:33 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Dhhhhhhh why didnt I read it more carfuly hehe thanks
Old 05-02-01, 05:27 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

CJGS4, this is probably one of two things.

1) Your installer didn't reverese the end pieces from the sway bars.

2) He didn't grease them properly.
Old 05-02-01, 07:26 AM
bcgs4
Driver School Candidate

Chris, I have anti-sway bars on a non-Lexus car that used to squeak until I got greasable poly bushings from Energy Suspension. They have built in zerk fittings, all it takes is a shot from a grease gun once a month--takes one minute!
Old 05-02-01, 10:32 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CJGS4
I installed my Rod Millen Sway bars (intrax) not too long ago and after a while they started squeaking when i went over bumps or accelerated... I tried bringing it to the dealer and had them relubricated 3 times already but the sound keeps on coming back.. I remember that someone posted a solution to this by replacing the bushings, what size do i need and where can i get them from? This is for a GS400 btw..

-Chris Y.
Chris,

I have the same unit. The rear bushings have to be switched from left to right. The installer should have grease the units and there is a grease joint for regreasing.

My problem with the intrax is they broke my rear OEM links that attach to the swaybars. Why did this occur? If the OEM components cannot handle the stress Intrax/RMM should have not sold the swaybars with such a range of adjustment.

If RMM reads this I am one angry customer. I've left you guys messages and no one has replied to them. Please get in contact with me to rectify this. You must support your customers otherwise your reputation will keep sinking......Call me as I don't like driving with no rear swaybars....

Old 05-02-01, 11:42 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb End Links

Guys - As ya'll know, I'm not the autocrosser in this Forum but I don't think the swapping of the end links would SUDDENLY cause squeaking. Those needed to be swapped to allow proper installation & correct geometry for the rear bar. The ones I have from RMM/Intrax came with zerk fittings to allow greasing & I do so every time I change oil/filter as part of my routine maintenance. So far I have no squeaks but also installed mine with some lubricant ( actually, Copper Shield ) & they weren't squeaking before I greased them the first time after installation.
Mike - I'm no suspension expert but i'm with U. Why should the end links need to be swapped from side to side in the first place when the factory Lexus bar was already in place? I can see using larger hardware to accomodate the thicker bar but swapping sides?? My old Guldstrand bars on the 'Vette were direct swaps, as were my bars on my RX-7 so why's the RMM kit different? To anyone who has the TRD bars - was this process necessary? How about it, Steve?? BTW - hope you're feeling better!!
Old 05-02-01, 11:52 AM
JacobT

TRD sway bars are direct bolt on. It only took about 45 minutes for both front and rear. They fit perfectly and they do not squeak. You do not even need to grease them
Old 05-02-01, 11:56 AM
RacingAristo

I've heard so many things with RMM's sway bars. Jacob said it's good, and Mike said it's bad. To save my time and energy, I will purchase the TRD sway bars. Is there anyone has problem with TRD ones?
Old 05-02-01, 12:06 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which Ones Do U Have?

Jacob - I'm not doubting you at all but U have the first set of RMM/Intrax bars that didn't need the end links swapped. When didja get yours? I got one of the first sets RMM sold because I had a deposit down on them 4 months before they were FINALLY released!! Maybe RMM worked out that problem at a later date?? Mine R purple & have the Intrax label on them. Even my instructions had a leaflet that said to swap the links but I called my salesman anyway & he verified it. Guess you're living right, my friend!!
RA - FWIW, I like the RMM bars, even with the swap necessary. From pics I've seen, the TRD's are much sturdier so if U push your GS hard into the curves, might want to get those from Steve. For me ( as I said before ), I'm a straightline guy so the RMM's are OK for me.
Old 05-02-01, 12:09 PM
JacobT

Default Sorry Guys...

I meant TRD sway bars. I had the typo. I've never used RMM sway bars, all I have are TRD sways and they are good.
Old 05-02-01, 12:13 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Looks like I am going to get a set of TRD swaybars and drop the Intrax.

Live and learn.......
Old 05-02-01, 12:18 PM
RacingAristo

Maybe we should form a groupbuy for TRD Sway Bars. Eh, what do you guys say?