GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car Wash scratched my rims...how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 09:33 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They came out today and took down the info and i gotta fax them my receipt for the broken window, and i can't find the one for my dvd player. they took pictures and she said as soon as i get them my window receipt, they will get it settled. hopefully turns out well...

find any options or get any quotes for wheel repair?

John
Old 11-14-04, 10:38 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JohnGS4
They came out today and took down the info and i gotta fax them my receipt for the broken window, and i can't find the one for my dvd player. they took pictures and she said as soon as i get them my window receipt, they will get it settled. hopefully turns out well...

find any options or get any quotes for wheel repair?

John
Glad to hear your insurance company is taking care of it promptly.

I just woke up so I'm going to take a shower and Wenol the rims. Before and after photos will be up soon. I think Wheel Techniques is the only option. You'll see in the photos.
Old 11-14-04, 01:44 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Default Pix Added...

Wenol helped. Scratches are a lot less noticable but still disappointing!
I just used the Blue and Red tubes without the Pink polish.

Before Wenol

FRONT BEFORE

FRONT BEFORE

REAR BEFORE

REAR BEFORE

After Wenol

REAR AFTER

FRONT AFTER

FRONT AFTER, Far

Body Shot, After

Last edited by TwentyTen; 11-14-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 04:01 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Darius,

Sorry to hear about it. That sucks. Maybe should have gone to a touchless carwash? BTW you gunna make it to the little GTG we're puttin together in burlingame?

Ron

P.S. Where did you want me to send those pics you wanted?

Last edited by BC-GS430; 11-14-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 04:13 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Hi Ron,

Yea, that does suck man! I keep telling myself "It could be worse; they could be bent"....

Check your PM.
Old 11-14-04, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wheel rims. Some carwashes are very lax about taking care of their equipment and manitaining it properly...and that can indeed screw up a car. That's why I won't use them myself.

I don't know how deep your scratches are without actually seeng them, , but try a product called SCRATCH-OUT. Comes in a small yellow bottle...$3-5 at auto parts stores that have it. Goes on like wax cleaner....rub it on, wipe off. In my area many CVS drug stores carry it....I give it away as gifts to new-vehicle buyers. It is the best scratch, stain, and discoloration remover I've seen, but will not work on deep scratches....those, of course, will need refinishing.
Old 11-14-04, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If a liquid or paste scratch-remover doesn't work, from pictures you posted, you look like you might have a good case against the car-wash in small claims court for a set of 4 new wheels. You see these kind of cases every day on the TV small-claims court shows....and those are true cases, not just actors.
Old 11-14-04, 08:31 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Darius,

I'm sorry to hear your incident. It's sucks to learn the lesson this way. I chipped my rear lips from parking and it hurt, so i feel ya' man.

keep me update on how much to fix the rim. I might consider to repair the curb rash later.
Old 11-14-04, 08:32 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Darius,

Before: i can see why you were so distraught. Got that same pain as when i first saw mine.
After: I'm sure that gave you some sort of relief. P.S. your car is F'n hott!

On another note: Thanks for the kind words about insurance issue. I will take some pics and have them put on disk to show some of the damage. I already had the Window replaced, but the rest of the damage is there. Then i will post some of the after once i get everything settled.

John
Old 11-14-04, 08:57 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Darius,
looks like the damage is just to the rim edge, so they won't need to buff out the whole lip or remove the tire. They should be able to repair this in a few hours at a reasonable rate.

Just call me when you are dropping by Wheel Tech. Lunch time is usually good for me, otherwise they are open on Saturday by appointment.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-14-04 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 07:51 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the words Ray, I'll keep you posted on the cost of repair.

Thanks Glen, I appreciate your help and will be in touch!

John, makes me feel better that others on CL have felt my pain. Just wish I didn't have to learn through experience. Thanks for the compliment on the car!! You're whip is pretty F'n hot too!!! I LLOOVVEE your trunk setup. So clean and functional!

Last edited by TwentyTen; 11-15-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 04:31 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks Darius-Good luck.Was that caused by their spinning brushes or what? I sometimes go through a touchless at a Mobile here and now you got me paranoid
I have had no probs so far. I bring a couple mf towels and dry it because their drier doesn't cut it. Then when I get home I use quick detailer to clean all the water streaks that came from trapped mirror water etc.
chuckb
Old 11-15-04, 05:19 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by chuckb
Sucks Darius-Good luck.Was that caused by their spinning brushes or what? I sometimes go through a touchless at a Mobile here and now you got me paranoid
I have had no probs so far. I bring a couple mf towels and dry it because their drier doesn't cut it. Then when I get home I use quick detailer to clean all the water streaks that came from trapped mirror water etc.
chuckb
I do the same thing. MF Towels and Maguiars Quik Detailer but this car wash was the kind with a racks that guides the car and these huge spinning "whips" that slap the car clean!
Old 11-15-04, 05:21 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
I do the same thing. MF Towels and Maguiars Quik Detailer but this car wash was the kind with a racks that guides the car and these huge spinning "whips" that slap the car clean!
Old 11-15-04, 09:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Darius,

Sorry to see this happened man. The only type of automatic carwash I have EVER used, is the one wheret the machine circles around your car and the only thing that touches the vehicle is water (absolutely no brushes or anything else) there is also no track. You simply drive over a rubber marker and a arrow tells you to stop.

Since mounting the iFORGED, I can't use this type either because of some type of cleaner it uses spotted up all over the wheels. Meguiairs NXT All Metal Polish did the trick for me. This stuff takes out nearly anything and gets the wheels as shiny (I think a little MORE shiny) than Wenol and its ony one step.

Those scratches look pretty deep though, may have to go the professional route.

Lesson here: no more carwashes! Good luck man

Quick Reply: Car Wash scratched my rims...how to fix?